#3 Wheelersburg V.S. #7 Fredericktown - Regional Semi-Finals

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I, and a LOT of others, think Coach Lewis does a FABULOUS job of coaching. We didn't hear too many complaints when Lang came in in the red zone during the Waverly game.... and scored 3 TD's.

Yeah, you are right. It did work in that game, but for the majority of the year, it didn't. Like BG86 said, in what is the biggest game of the year and in the most crucial part of the game, you have your three SENIOR leaders standing on the sidelines. Uncalled for in that situation.

My thoughts on this are like this. For an offense to be successful they have to get into a rhythm and establish a flow in the game. When you have your starter take you all the way down the field and get the kids into a rhythm with one set of plays and blocking schemes and then expect them to completely change the blocking schemes for another type of offense altogether, it's asking to much of 15, 16, and 17 year old kids. Why not continue to ride the horse that got you to the finish line.

I can just see Barrick doing this basketball. Drew takes off on a breakout and is fouled with 2 seconds on the clock and the Burg down by 1 point. He looks down the bench and picks a sophmore and tells him to go shoot the free throws to try to win the game.

Like I said before, I have absolutely no problem with Tyler Lang. He is one of the best kids I have ever had the pleasure to be around when I coached Little League baseball and his mother and father are top notch people, but his time will come in the next two seasons and I'm sure he will be one of the best option QB's the Burg has seen in quite a while because he is one hell of an athlete. But, your seniors should be on the field in crucial situations unless they are hurt or aren't getting the job done and we all know that wasn't the case Friday.

Lewis is a mastermind at coming up with a game plan for his games, but I think he out thinks himself in crucial situations instead of just trying to go with what got you there and had worked the entire second half. The short sideline passes and the FB up the gut between the tackles was working to perfection and had FT on their heels and completely out of the game and then tries to change it up and let them right back in.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

bringing lang in during week 10 also worked, 2 tds. If they were capable of lining up and blowing people off the ball and pounding the ball in, they would have left drew in. that little draw wouldn't have worked inside the 10. unless everyone would have been happy throwing the ball 3 times from the 8 then I think lang was the burgs best option.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

fbnut wrote:bringing lang in during week 10 also worked, 2 tds. If they were capable of lining up and blowing people off the ball and pounding the ball in, they would have left drew in. that little draw wouldn't have worked inside the 10. unless everyone would have been happy throwing the ball 3 times from the 8 then I think lang was the burgs best option.

If the up the middle plays wouldn't have worked inside the 8 then why did White go almost untouched into the endzone on the fake. He wasn't tackled until he got to the endzone because he ran the fake so well and would have scored had he been given the ball. Why did the next play after the toss sweep, which was right up the gut also, go back to inside the 8 again if that play wasn't still working? FT's interior lineman were completely worn out and were getting blown of the line of scrimmage forcing the LB's and DB's to make the tackles 8 to 12 yards down the field, so yes I think 4 plays up the middle would have produced a TD.
Last edited by Burg_Grad_77 on Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

fbnut wrote:bringing lang in during week 10 also worked, 2 tds. If they were capable of lining up and blowing people off the ball and pounding the ball in, they would have left drew in. that little draw wouldn't have worked inside the 10. unless everyone would have been happy throwing the ball 3 times from the 8 then I think lang was the burgs best option.

Sure it worked in week 10, because that was against West and if you stop and think that just because it worked against Waverly, maybe there run defense wasn't very good also. They gave up over 400 yards rushing to one player last night. One player. Who happened to be the QB.

I have to disagree with you that that little draw wouldn't have worked because at that point in the game, Fredericktown was completely worn out. The Burg was blowing them off the ball 4-5 yards and the RB's were getting 7-8 yards a pop. Another thing, what makes you think it wouldn't work. That is something that has haunted this coaching staff is that they think something won't work or they think that the other coach is going to adjust to what they were doing. How about this? How about waiting until the other team stops you a couple of times and then change what you were doing.

I bet that if you ask the FT coach if he thought his team was beat when the Burg got the ball back with 3:00 left in the game, he would tell you yes. Almost all of their players on the field played both ways and by the time the 4th qtr rolled around, they were done.

Like was said above, Tyler will probably be the best option QB the Burg has ever seen, but to put a Sophomore in that situation, at that point in the game was crazy and then run the play that they had him run, a pitch to the short side of the field. When Tyler took the snap he has to make the decision, do I give it to the FB (if he had, it was a definite TD as Bryan White was standing in the endzone at the end of the play) or do I keep it myself or do I pitch it. By the time he had the chance to pitch it, the defense was in on him, he pitched it and Stamper was to close to the sidelines to do anything with it, so he tried to make something out of nothing. You can't fault him, he was trying to make some yardage on a bad play call. The other time they ran that option pitch to the short side of the field, in the first qtr when they had the ball on the FT 40, what happened? They lost yards on it and ended up going backwards on that series and had to punt.

I'd have to go with the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The running up the middle was working and they tried to get cute and it bit them in the butt. How many times did they try the option this year that it didn't work. I know they first unleashed it against South Point and everybody I talked to said that they didn't understand that play call at all as it got stuffed for no gain. They tried it again against Johnson Central and of course, it didn't work against them either.

1fan1
Riding the Bench

Post by 1fan1 »

Well, none of this matters anymore. What does matter is that the PLAYERS ON THE TEAM from Wheelersburg and the coaches made everyone and themselves very proud this year. The rest is over and will only be whatif's and whatever's. Maybe we will always wonder if the runner from the Freddies was really down before he put the ball across teh goal, too????? It really doesn't matter, because it is over.
The legacy is this: Schankie, Spradlin, Cooke, Jenkins, Conley, White, Riepenhoff, Blevins, Stamper, Craigmiles, Atkins, Fannin, Hall, Prohl, an entire cast of O-liners and DEFENDERS (sorry if I forgot to mention everyone who is certainly deserving). Yes, Lang might be a good sophomore qb, as the future will decide, and good luck to him on that.. And, yes, maybe now in hindsight NOT leaving in all the playmakers who were on a mission watching would have brought us home the victory, but the truth is, we really don't know. Maybe Drew would have made a better read? Made a better throw? the momentum of his second half determination would have carried over?..... We don't know that for sure or not, and what we tried didn't work. All of it is left to wonder. It is not for those who do not coach to decide. The players know this: They fought as hard as they could, they listened to their coaches, and they trusted one another. That's all. That's what tied the game and took the lead. Hats off to all the Pirates and to especially all of the seniors who engineered a terrific comeback and jthe team that ust fell short.
Good luck to next year's team, and here's to many more years of playoff football for the next year's players and the coaching staff. WE are very lucky to have all of you at the Burg. Second guessing really gets us nowhere.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I don't really remember them bringing lang in much to run the option early in the yr. they brought him in a couple times I thought those were fade passes to drew(which they connected on in week 10). It's a little unfair to try to point out everytime it didn't work because they couldn't run the ball all year regardless of who was playing. they really haven't had much of a running attack in 2 yrs. they ran the ball in week 1 but most of that was off-tackle, after everyone figured out that if you took that away they couldn't run inside. I am not going to second guess this coaching staff. I watch one game a week from the stands. the coaches have went through the entire off season (weightlifting), summer conditioning, 2 a days, 6 days a week of practicing, watching film, games, for the last 12 weeks . I think they know this team a lot better than the fans do. they know what they are capable of, what they do well, what they don't do so well. I can't remember every play but didn't FT stuff the draw play around 30 the last time the burg ran it in regulation? It's a little unfair to say white would have scored if he had the ball. some plays its hard to talk much about because you can't really say what went wrong without pointing fingers at the players and I won't do that. I just find it hard to believe that this team found its running game(without lang and the option) in ot in week 12.

i

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

fbnut, where you at the game on Friday? If you were, then you would know that, yes FT was stopping the run early in the game, but late in the game, especially the whole 4th qtr, they couldn't stop the run up the middle at all. Scahnk and Stamper were picking up 7-8 yards a carry. FT had no answer and was just hanging on for dear life. I'm sure they breathed a sigh of relief when the game went to OT, because it gave them a chance to rest up some and it slowed down the Burg's offense, because they were definetly on a roll in the 4th qtr.

FT had to play most of their starters on both sides of the ball, the whole game and they were flat out worn out towards the end of the game.

As for them bringing in Lang, from week two on, they tried it in almost every game and the only time I remember them throwing the ball was the one time against West. They tried that offense against SP, didn't work. They tried it against Johnson Central, didn't work. They tried it against Minford, it didn't work. Bottom line is the only time it worked was against Waverly, who evidently couldn't stop the run against good teams, ie Burg and Westfall and it worked, to some extent against West. It didn't work against West Layfayette, fumbled out of the formation that led to a West Layfayette TD and it didn't work last Friday, against FT. Like BG86 said above, how can you take out three of your Senior leaders at such a crucial point of the ballgame. Two of your three captains are standing on the sidelines.

Like 1fan1 said, everyone in the Burg is very proud of this years team. They had alot of questions coming into the season and I think alot of them were answered in week one against Ironton. I just wished they would have stuck with what got them where they were. Like a friend of mine told me, they moved the ball down the field with the spread and a different kind of blocking scheme and then they would get in the redzone and change to a totally diferent offense. Makes it difficult on high school kids and is really asking alot of them.

DEmaniac
Waterboy

Post by DEmaniac »

When the FT player got the TD I watched the left linesman and he didnt give a td signal for about 2 seconds. What s up with that? Both teams had way too many chances to win the game outright, but I agree with most posters that the FT defense was completely worn out and we were also on our heels. FT had to defend the pass and that was giving us big yards up the gut and we should have continued it when we got first and goal at the 8 i believe. What else do they do? They couldnt stop us before hand, we have them spread, keep doing what is doing you good and we didnt. If it didnt work, find the defender off one of our wideouts and throw a quick pass to him. I just dont understand either, but I give BIG KUDOS to FT and their kids, what a great game and givem heck next friday. Good luck to Burg next year. I am sure I will see a 2008 thread that we can talk about. As for you MBC fans, you got lucky in this game BIGTIME and to talk trash about MBC being so much better, It aint true. FT was not matched to Minford or Waverly and Burg never played JM. I know JM played a 3 seed SOC team and won and FT beat the #1 soc team but that SOC 2 shouldnt have lost. But they did so get it out of your system because this coaching staff is learning MBC football! And this matchup came down to TOs that were not expected or a given looking back at how Burg has played. Throw Waverly in to that mix and MBC is minor this year. I know you have d4 teams in your mix but this year is what you want to talk about.

I think Burg kids who watched this game will be STRONGER because of this comeback! This is like the Valley comeback if not better and the Burg kids will make use of it in every game from here on out!! Anything can and will happen if you execute and play the game like the coaches have taught you. I personally dont like what coach lewis' offense is but it is successful if the team executes and continues the offseason preps which he is best known for!! Good luck Tony and staff. NOBODY thought we would get this far with all of the olineman gone but one and no Dline back. CUDOS!!

I am REALLY excited about a Jr team next yr that is the most fundamentally sound unit in a while at Burg. I just hope all of them show up and give it a shot!! One kid I would love to see back is Hall but I dont think it will happen. Too bad. I was a good player and got relegated to lineman but I loved it when I got there!! Hit and be hit, tell the coach to run the back up your side of the ball because you could get it done, and when it did, magic!! Hope to see Bentley in the oline next year, big kid and has alot of guts to stick it out so far. Maybe we can see Robinson back next year. I hope the coaching staff works with him offseason to get him ready. 6-4 and 270 and great strength is what we could have used this year. I know he needs help, but if he wants it, he could get it!!

Looking out over the Ohio river, waiting for the tranquility that is NOT Friday night Football!!
DEmaniac
Waterboy

Post by DEmaniac »

http://www.portsmouth-dailytimes.com/ar ... egeman.txt

Cant say it better. I have always thought the Burg stands were mute in home games unless something happened to bring them to light. This game was well from home and the fans were totally electric. To the season holders, get off your Butts and make some noise or give up your seats to some noise makers! LOL, good luck to the pirates next season!![/quote]

Looking out over the Ohio river, waiting for the tranquility that is NOT Friday night Football!!
BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

As for the option play with Lang in the ball game. If you look back at previous game film, his tendencies are to keep the ball. He has scored several TDs like that this season. Give the Freddie coaches credit. When #10 is in the game he is most likely going to run the ball so you make him the key. In OT if he would have given up the ball to the FB it would have been TD if not close. All the defenders, 3-4 I believe were all over him and the pitch man.

Great 2nd half by the Pirates. Shows what kind of team they can be. Just have to execute for 4 quarters. Too many turnovers in the 1st half. Eliminate one of the key turnovers and Burg wins the game.

Solid season for sure. Great effort when your backs were against the wall. Not many could muster the energy for this comeback.

Good luck seniors
Last edited by BULDOG on Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldschooler
Waterboy

Post by oldschooler »

Coaches get paid to win ballgames, bottom line, nothing else. Burg expects to win and go 10-0, every season, nothing wrong with that. That is what was expected in the past years and players year after year know that. The former Burg players that now coach know what I am talking about. I hope Lewis explains the reasoning behind some of his decisions to his players, because they deserve to know. Doesn't much matter to the rest of us, but to his players, it is important.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

very proud of the pirates and their poise!
What I was NOT proud of was the FAN who all game long kept saying throw the ball long! and at halftime got in a verbal fight with another guy! because he told him to stop saying that!
GROW UP this isnt HS! Just HS FB!!

On the game, AWESOME comeback!
BUT the one play that I REALLY think lost it for the Pirates was, and I hate to do this to Drew, but when they were driving late and had a chance to win or fight on w/o OT, and spradin threw the ball and got it INT on a play when all he had to do was go down because there was a FLAG!!
It was going against the Pirates anyways so throwing the ball accomplished nothing but bad things!
If this would not have happened we may be playing Friday! MAYBE!

BUT If's and But's! and Valiant Effort!
See ya next season BURG!

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:Why not continue to ride the horse that got you to the finish line.

That would be coach Lewis, right ?? :lol: :lol:

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: He was tackled right at the line of scrimmage because he ran the fake so well and would have scored had he been given the ball.

What am I missing here??

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I don't know, what are you missing there?

oldschooler
Waterboy

Post by oldschooler »

Neuton, the first half lost it for the Pirates, they should not have been down that much in the first place. If White doesn't fumble, then they don't score the first 7 either, but it happened, fumbles and interceptions happen, that is football. No one to blame, except for the coach's bonehead decision to not hand the ball off and run it up the middle for a winning TD, lol!! but it happens, that is coaching. Pirates got to play a longer season, and that is always a good year when that happens.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

TheMalteseFalcon wrote:
Burg_Grad_77 wrote:Why not continue to ride the horse that got you to the finish line.

That would be coach Lewis, right ?? :lol: :lol:

No, the horse that got them back into the game in the second half, and the 4th quarter in paticular, was the short sideline pass and running the ball between the tackles with Shank and White. Once they got close the long pass across the middle got them two scores. This was all done with Spradlin running the show and your seniors on the field, not with a soph at the helm and your seniors on the sidelines watching.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

TheMalteseFalcon wrote:
Burg_Grad_77 wrote: He was tackled right at the line of scrimmage because he ran the fake so well and would have scored had he been given the ball.

What am I missing here??

I meant to say he wasn't tackled into he was to the endzone and would have scored had he been given the ball. I changed my original post.

Just a Pup
Waterboy

Post by Just a Pup »

Neutron Man wrote:very proud of the pirates and their poise!
What I was NOT proud of was the FAN who all game long kept saying throw the ball long! and at halftime got in a verbal fight with another guy! because he told him to stop saying that!
GROW UP this isnt HS! Just HS FB!!

On the game, AWESOME comeback!
BUT the one play that I REALLY think lost it for the Pirates was, and I hate to do this to Drew, but when they were driving late and had a chance to win or fight on w/o OT, and spradin threw the ball and got it INT on a play when all he had to do was go down because there was a FLAG!!
It was going against the Pirates anyways so throwing the ball accomplished nothing but bad things!
If this would not have happened we may be playing Friday! MAYBE!

BUT If's and But's! and Valiant Effort!
See ya next season BURG!

Neutron, are you serious !
Are you really suggesting that Drew should have seen the flag on the ground, somehow known that the penalty was against us, then deduced that it would be better to go down rather than make a throw since the penalty was against us and there was nothing to gain ... all in the 5 seconds that the play took ... while he was being chased down ... really ?

Seems pretty small to single out a guy who brought them back with a near perfect second half, because of tipped ball that a kid made a diving catch on.

Everyone should be proud of the leadership and composure of this team and coaching staff in the second half and not single out a play and player that cost them the game.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

^^^^^^^^^

My thoughts exactly. No way in hell does Drew know that the flag is against the Burg and the interception was a tipped ball that yes, the FT player made a diving catch of.

Drew made one bad throw in the first half. Would he like to have it back, sure he would, but that is part of football. You have to turn the bad into good and Drew did just that in the second half. He led the Burg down the field on 4 drives and tied the score up. He made two very nice passes to Schank and Jenkins for TD's.

Return to “Football”