Nelsonville-York adds Ironton, Piketon, Berne Union

tric118
All State

Post by tric118 »

84 that is not exactly correct. It sounds as if in week 3 NY will play Shadyside that is what is being worked on. NY has really beefed up the schedule but with the kids coming back they should be fine.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Tric118 wrote:84 that is not exactly correct. It sounds as if in week 3 NY will play Shadyside that is what is being worked on. NY has really beefed up the schedule but with the kids coming back they should be fine.

Wow!! Either one is a great addition to the schedule.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I am so glad that NY has upgraded the schedule as much as they have!!! It will be nice to see these new schools on the schedule! These are schools that travel well, so Boston Field will be packed for the non-league games just like it should be!!!

OneHitWonder
Riding the Bench

Post by OneHitWonder »

To all of those N-Y fans out there whining about upgrading the schedule and bringing back the good old days when N-Y used to win playoff games. You are missing out on a great opportunity to upgrade your schedule as well as have your largest gate of the year. Just look up 33 ten miles. The Purple and White of LOGAN need a game three. If you want to compete in the playoffs you need to compete during the regular season. It's a no lose situation BIG $$$, BIG computer points IF you win, and If they kick your A**, so what their 3 times your size.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

I think Logan might not feel the same way. They have no desire to play a D5 school and really I can't blame them.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Isn't the Logan schedule already loaded with smaller teams?

91Buckeye
Varsity

Post by 91Buckeye »

A few years ago the head coach from Logan cleared this issue up for a few of us that could not understand why this game wasn't renewed. In spite of the money and rivalry it's all about playoff points. NY just doesn't generate enough playoff points for a DII school.

powerliftingnut
Freshman Team

Post by powerliftingnut »

Schedule for 2008 will be: This was just made final yesterday. The Berne Union game will be one that both schools are going to try to keep for years to come. Ironton is as of right now a 2 year contract.

Fri 08/22/2008 TRIMBLE
Fri 08/29/2008 @ Piketon
Fri 09/05/2008 @ Berne Union
Fri 09/12/2008 @ Wellston*
Fri 09/19/2008 MEIGS*
Fri 09/26/2008 @ Belpre*
Fri 10/03/2008 ALEXANDER*
Fri 10/10/2008 ATHENS*
Fri 10/17/2008 IRONTON
Fri 10/24/2008 @ Vinton County*

" If you have a problem with me or anything I say, there’s two ways to deal with it – my way or their way. My way is violence".
James "lights out" Toney
NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Berne Union should be a good matchup. The Rockets made the Division VI playoffs this past year and almost knocked off eventual state champion Newark Catholic in the first round, loosing by 3 points, 21-18. Do the fans from BU travel well for games?

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Looks like the Buckeyes will have their hands full next year.

This is a GREAT schedule.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:Berne Union should be a good matchup. The Rockets made the Division VI playoffs this past year and almost knocked off eventual state champion Newark Catholic in the first round, loosing by 3 points, 21-18. Do the fans from BU travel well for games?
The few times I have watched the Rockets on the road the crowd was always small even for a D-6 school.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

A little information on Piketon. They return a lot of players on both sides of the ball. They graduate 3 offensive linemen, a fullback on Offense. On defense they started 6 sophomores with a 7th going out with a slight knee strain early in the year. They only graduate 3 seniors on Defense. they have some speed and size especially at the wide receivers. Two go 6'3" and 6'5" with good hands. They went 7-3 losing a heartbreaker to Minford the first game of the season by 6 a playoff team. A close battle with Adena and kept it close against Westfall until the middle of the 3rd. Of course we know what Westfall did in the playoffs.

Piketon is about 80 miles from Nelsonville according to Yahoo maps. Just go down to Athens and take 32 West. Athens is about an hour drive from Piketon. It intersects 23 north and Piketon is just 1 mile off of that exit.

I look forward to this matchup. Piketon is beefing up their schedule picking up both NY and Waverly next season.

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

how far is that trip to piketon??

It looks like a nice schedule.. . the only bad thing I can guese at though is wasn't the crooksville game a good one???

come on the risin wind. . were goin up around the bend. .
you can ponder purpetual motion. fix your mind on a crystal day. . always time for good conversation. .
NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

The Crooksville game was a good matchup. The Buckeyes and Ceramics have played a total of 13 games against each other all-time and the Ceramics have won 7 games and the Buckeyes have won 6 games. NY has played more games against Crooksville then any other team it has never been in a league with at any point. (All the current TVC OHIO schools, Warren, Miller, Fed Hock, and Trimble used to count in TVC standings, and Athens and Logan were SEOAL league opponents). After all those schools, Crooksville was next on the list of all-time games played versus NY.

I'm sure the two schools will meet again at some point in the future, as 2005 was the first game in the series since 1982.

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

Piketon also just received a transfer from Jackson an all-district, all-SEOAL honorable mention Offensive Tackle and Defensive End's family moved to the district. So that should fill one of the holes on their offensive line.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

nelsonville should 2 of the 3 but i think they'll have a hard time with ironton. with the ironton game not bein at the tank the buckeyes should have a better chance to beat them. everyone knows it's hard to win in the tank

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I'm looking forward to the Ironton series. Regardless of the outcome of those games, I believe that playing this game in Week 9 will give the Buckeyes a good insight into potential areas of improvement needed just before an opening round playoff game, assuming the Buckeyes can make the playoffs in either of the next two seasons.

If Ironton does in fact leave the SEOAL as is being reported, maybe the NY/Ironton series can continue in the future as a Week 9 contest. I imagine the gate will be huge for both schools as well.

Of all schools close in size to NY, I would say Ironton is the best program year in and year out in southeastern Ohio, and I would much rather Ironton expose weaknesses in the Buckeye game plan in Week 9 than for those weaknesses to remain hidden and only exposed in an opening round playoff game. This would give NY time to improve in areas they need to improve in when playing playoff teams.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i'd likew to see ironton/ nelsonville york. long term . two great traditions colliding year after year. also like to see ironton /newark catholic. long term.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
91Buckeye
Varsity

Post by 91Buckeye »

I agree YTB. The '92 playoff game between these two had an electric atmosphere to it in spite of the single digit temperatures. This is also a game that will prepare NY for anyone they see in the playoffs. This would be a good one to play on Saturday, everyone would want to see this one.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

As short of a drive it is between Nelsonville and Fairfield County, I think NY could pick up non-league rivalry games with several Fairfield County schools. We had a good rivalry going with Fairfield Union for awhile and now have picked up Berne Union. Fisher Catholic, Bloom-Carroll and Amanda-Clearcreek would be good pikups as well. Some of these schools are closer to Nelsonville than some of our TVC league games!

Return to “Football”