Does schedule strength determine post season success?

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Editor,

You make it more obvious you know nothing the more you post. Alter is way below the level of competition that Logan plays. The difference between Alter and Hilliard Davidson is similar to the talent level difference to Logan and Gallipolis. Having said that until Gallipolis steps it up and gets a better non conference schedule the Logan JV's will have a hey day with you guys.

Tom, No golf is your game. From reading yoru post i would say you bette stick with it. BTW, I would say VC would be a team that over scheduled last year. It can happen. Logan scheduled Lancaster and Gahanna one year. Big mistake,

Editor I doubt Gallipolis can even spell Gahanna. You have no idea what it is like to play top level competition. Heck you don't even know that Logan is as tough as you will ever see except for those once in a ten year thinf.

Scheduling is a year in year out thing. Quit pointing to the rare cases in your last ten years. And to use a team you scrimmaged. Heck if you want to include scrimmages Logan had a tougher time against their own JV than they did against Gallia.

Funny how all the experts on here are from non football schools.

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

For 2old > I guess you didt understand me the first time

Post by Old Tom Morris »

2old it is not your place to tell me what is the right or wrong forum for me.
I would venture to say that I know a helluva lot more about the game of football than you do sir so dont try to chastise me.

My FIRST point since you asked is that Logan is responsible for their scheduling and their scheduling alone. If your true desire is to toughen up your team by better scheduling talk to your AD and get him to get on the phone and look for new opponents or a new league ....... if your just trying to be a thorn in other peoples side just keep bitching, moaning, and complaining about how everyone else is so much beneath Logan.

My SECOND point is as I said before: "Your continual sermons extolling the greatness of Logan and disparaging the rest of the SEOAL is getting quite tiresome to many folks in the world of SEOPS."

Why was scheduling Lancaster and Gahanna in the same year a mistake?

Oh I know >>>>> Logan lost both games. And you sure dont want to risk losing a few games, its easier to play one tough game and add a couple cupcakes in addition to your weak conference so as to make sure you have a 9-1 record so you can beat your chest and brag.

hogfarmer
Riding the Bench

Post by hogfarmer »

2old writes:

"Alter is way below the level of competition that Logan plays."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can't be serious? Are you serious? Please tell me you're not serious. No way you're serious, I refuse to believe anyone that is on a message board as fine as this one is really that ignorant. I know. You're just antagonizing us and will come back later and point out that you were only joking. If not, well..................holy cow, you can't really be serious.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Hog,

First let's get one thing straight.

ALTER is on no ones schedule. Secondly they have had a good run but HARDLY strike fear in the football history of Ohio. Now let me drop a name that does. I am comparing Alter to UPPER ARLINGTON. No Comparison. It was a real GAME not a scrimmage. Secondly I am speaking of D-1 Champion Hilliard Davidson. That is competition. If you check you will see Alter did not even get out of the regional so not really that scary.

Besides you got in this thing late. I don't have the time to bring you up to date. But honestly i do not fear Alter. Lancaster would beat them most years.

Editor, Ignorance is playing teams like PT and VC and "thinking" you have a good dcefense. Oh yeah you even shut them out. Kinda scary!!!! Now that is a classic example of ignorance.

As I said Gallia just needs to keep scheduling like that. The Logan JV's deserve a chance to play also.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

I would not talk about your weak schedule (which it is) if you were even playing at the New Lex and NY level. VC and PT are way below the level of those two programs.
Secondly don't act like Alter was ever on your schedule.
Since Logan dropped New Lex and NY what has their record been against Gallia???? I would say the results speak for themselves.

sports junkie
JV Team

Post by sports junkie »

2old, Logan is the only school in Ohio who prepare for the playoffs playing Div.3 and 4 schools. And please don't tell us how good Pick. North was. They were only a .500 team, and we know what you think of .500 teams. You can cry till the cows come home about how good Logan is, but not too many people will listen to or believe that crap :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

all of this explains the real answer guys. . . . . . You'll never know
Just make some rivalries. . schedule close. . and schedule (good football games)
if you do that. . you can't go wrong
If its good football no one is going to mind. . .you'll lose some. .and you'll win some. .
If your good. . you Will Make Playoffs. .
if your not. . you wont. . if your ehhhhh ok. . you still might get in. .i.e. rock hill this year

come on the risin wind. . were goin up around the bend. .
you can ponder purpetual motion. fix your mind on a crystal day. . always time for good conversation. .
hilltopkid
Freshman Team

Post by hilltopkid »

2old wrote:Besides NONE of you have ever played in the playoffs at the level of competition Logan has faced in the playoffs. EVER

that is NOT TRUE. Didn't Chillicothe play Watterson in the D-2 playoffs last year? I'd say they were pretty stiff competition, at least as good if not better than Tri-Valley. As far as programs with tradition, TV doesn't come close to Watterson.
Not that this means anything. Our result was the same as yours.Just wanted to let you know you were wrong. Just playing monitor again, 2old. ;-)
Now, maybe you were directing your statement towrds Ironton or Gallia or whatever, but that statement is definitely not true as far as CHS goes.
...and I ain't trying to get in some silly debate either.just stating the facts.

hilltopkid
Freshman Team

Re: Better competition = Better Results????

Post by hilltopkid »

Old Tom Morris wrote:The is a lot to say for playing better competition in the season to prepare your team for postseason play. Is it a major factor, probably not but it sure can contribute to a better preopared team. I personnally know that I would rather play against better competition to challange me to improve and in fact have some benchmark to compare my improvement or lack of improvement.

Now ..... for 2old and Paladin .....

Its a real easy statement for you to make telling the other teams of the weak SEOAL that they need to improve to provide a better challenge for Logan. I would agree with you 100% that improvement amoung all the league teams would not only help Logan be better prepared for the post season play but it would improve each and every team in the leagues outlook for post season play. There does happen to be a major flaw in your theory.

It is not as simple as any one team deciding that they are going to improve overnight. Mitigating factors such as enrollment, talent level of the student athletes available each season, and believe it or not there is a little luck involved that CAN and WILL prevent some programs from just improving by deciding that they are going to improve to offer Logan a better challanger. It is far simpler to achieve an improvement in the competition for Logan, Logan could look for ways to make that happen on their own. First, look at your out of conference schedule ...... toughen that up. Their may not be enough opportunities for you to find quality opponents that you desire but I believe there are quite a few teams that would be willing to sign a contract with Logan if Logan were to look around and make an effort. If you cannot achieve the success in finding those quality opponemts to challenge you then you could also consider finding a new confrence that would provide sufficient competition for you.

To get to my point!

Stop your bitching and moaning about your league competition and either suck it up and play with whose is in the SEOAL or find yourself a new league and play there.

Your continual sermons extolling the greatness of Logan and disparaging the rest of the SEOAL is getting quite tiresome to many folks in the world on SEOPS.

BRAVO, BRAVO!!!! Excellent post OTM.Very well articulated as well. Your use of verbage may confuse the Hocking Countians though. You used a lot of 2nd semester words.lol

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Hilltop,

You just love to rain on my parade. First I admire Chilly's schedule. I do not consider Chilly in this debate. Second you get no quarrel from me about playing Watterson. If you pay attention you will note I do not say a thing about Chilly's scedule or Zville. You guys and your AD's understand.

My comment goes specifically to Jackson and Gallia. Both of them need to step it up!!!

As usual the editor is completely lost. HIS team has played and never will play a team as good as Dublin Coffman with Brady Quinn at QB. So one more time the editor shows he has no REAL knowledge of bigtime football. He clearly understands small time football playing both PT. and VC.

hilltopkid
Freshman Team

Post by hilltopkid »

:-D :-D :-D :-D
just having some fun.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

OVCfan32 wrote:all of this explains the real answer guys. . . . . . You'll never know
Just make some rivalries. . schedule close. . and schedule (good football games)
if you do that. . you can't go wrong
If its good football no one is going to mind. . .you'll lose some. .and you'll win some. .
If your good. . you Will Make Playoffs. .
if your not. . you wont. . if your ehhhhh ok. . you still might get in. .i.e. rock hill this year

South Point had a tougher schedule and beat Rock Hill and didn't get in I think because their schedule was a little too tough! So my answer would be no it does not always guarantee the extra week of football.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Editor,

First let me say nice mouth. Really nice for a guy who passes himself off as a "role Model" which is what moderators SHOULD be.

Secondly, Logan gave Coffman a great game. But you are so busy trying to bash the Chiefs you would not know it. You lack knowledge. Just like to bash the Logan program.

As far as big time football i stand behind my statement. Gallia has no clue and the posters who support that team prove it. Lead by the moderator with the nice mouth.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I'll agree with 2old. Major kudos to Logan, ZHS, Chilly & Marietta as stepping up and putting a challenging schedule to their athletes, forcing them to grow. Taking a chance on losing games in order to grow, get better, try to run at the title and be prepared if playoffs come.

But Jackson & Gallia are major embarassments to the league. Cupcake schedules proving nothing and presenting no challenge, no growth. And its been that way for decades. :roll:

Have gun, will travel
hilltopkid
Freshman Team

Post by hilltopkid »

2old, Gahs4ever and Paladin,

So...what are you 3 getting each other for Christmas? :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Hilltop

For the Gallia Republican Party, a gross of Trojans to remind him of all the fun in life he missed out on. A bigger sourpuss will never be found.

To 2old, my little black book. A guy as ugly as him needs all the help he can get.

:-D

Have gun, will travel
black76
JV Team

Post by black76 »

I think a schedule should be challenging but to have to play "up" every week, although it may improve your team, it also may get some kids hurt by the end of your season, come time for playoffs.

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

yeah south points schedule was a bit rough. . . . but keep in mind waverly isn't a world beater every year. . .
and you ran into a darn tough kentucky team too. . .
But overall what does it matter??? South Point wasn't going to scare anyone in the playoffs. . .
Overall I don't think it wasn't a bad schedule for SP. . a bit tough. . but you can expect that same exact schedule to be a lil' easier from year to year
Ironton is the best example of usually good scheduling. . lots of good games on there. . everyone knows it. .big crowds. . . yeah they just might go 4-6 and have been one lucky team a lot of times . . . but . . but. . .when they do get a record worthy of playoff points. . .they have a team that might do things. . . . . .
I'd rather pack the stands and not go to the playoffs with a descent team. . than play a weak. . or unrivalrous (thats not a word) schedule and KNOW you don't have a shot at anything

come on the risin wind. . were goin up around the bend. .
you can ponder purpetual motion. fix your mind on a crystal day. . always time for good conversation. .
allamericanironman
All Conference

Re: Does schedule strength determine post season success?

Post by allamericanironman »

You get better by playing better no doubt. But you risk injuries and missing the post season.- short but to the point.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Does schedule strength determine post season success?

Post by trojandave »

In football, scheduling "up" can be tricky because if you want to make the playoffs, you have to beat teams that will give you points. Playing a tough schedule doesn't necessarily guarantee that. Going 0-4 or 1-3 in non-conference games against good teams doesn't help a school's playoff standing. That school can brag about who they played, but it can be frustrating when that same school is sitting at home in week 11 and another school playing a weaker schedule is playing in the postseason.

I do believe in playing good competition, but with some discretion.

Return to “Football”