Split the SEOAL like the OCC, TVC, MSL

Army
S

Split the SEOAL like the OCC, TVC, MSL

Post by Army »

I would like to offer another way for our SEOAL to grow and survive.

Keep the split divisions and play like they are seperate Leagues for a Championship.

SEOAL South
Chillicothe D3
Jackson D2
Portsmouth D4
Ironton D4
Gallipolis D4
Play 4 league games 1 Non-League SEOAL North Div Game 5 non-league games.

Try to add one more Team and play like that.

Likewise,

SEOAL North
Logan D2
Zanesville D2
Warren D3
Marietta D2

Play 3 league games, 2 other SEOAL Non-League Games and 5 Non-League Games?

Try to add two more Teams and play like that.

Play each other in non-league competition but doesn't count as a League game? Try to get at least 6 Teams in each division.

Any Advice or Comment?

What say you all?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I SAY IRONTON STAYS PUT, WHAT SAY YA'LL. :)

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
10mike
Riding the Bench

Post by 10mike »

The SEOAL should go back to one division and this is what it should look like.

Jackson
Portsmouth
Ironton
Gallia Academy
Chillicothe
Logan

Zanesville doesn't want to be in the SEOAL anyway, so lets say goodbye.

Washington county is quite the haul for any of the SEOAL teams. So lets say goodbye to Warren and Marietta as well.

I realize that Logan is a long trip for Portsmouth and Ironton but Logan is a charter member of the league that has been around for the long haul. If P-town and Ironton don't like going to Logan then they can find another place to play, thats just the way it is.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Army

pretty good idea

helps with the travel and could/would help schedule other closer teams

Anything to keep the league together also this might make it easier for the North to pick up a 5th team

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

noreply66

Thank you for a reasonable post from a Logan supporter. The current situation with the SEOAL has many challenges that exist not only with football but they involve the others sports in different ways.

I see the positives of a proposal like Army's and there are probably several other possibilities that could exist if rational thought were put into the situation.

I have one question:

Is there a commissioner or president of the league??

I believe that it would be a good idea if some "offical" (or board) from the SEOAL might look at possible alternatives in alignment and scheduling.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Tom,

Those people are called principals, Superintendents AD's, and coaches. That is who governs the league. And of course BOE's.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Noreply66,

I thought about this and the South too would have to play 2 Other SEOAL Non-League Div games. Sorry.

You could have the rival match-ups.

The South Division would strive to get at least one more Team into the SEOAL South. :-D

FOOTBALL EXAMPLE: :-D

Jackson's D2 schedule as an example From the SEOAL South Division;

Non-League Schedule
1. Wellston D4
2. Vinton County D3
3. Waverly D4
4. Washington Court House D3
5. Logan D2 SEOAL Non-League#
6. Marietta D2 SEOAL Non-League#
South Teams could make a 5 year agreement with the OVC, TVC (Ohio), SOC II, SVC, MSL (Buckeye), MSL (Ohio), MVL, CCL Central Catholic League, CCL Columbus City League and SCOL to play non-league games?

League Schedule
7. Ironton D4*
8. Chillicothe D3*
9. Portsmouth D4*
10. Gallipolis D4*

The Nouth Division would strive to get at least two more Teams into the SEOAL North. :-D

Logan's schedule as an example from the North Division;

Non-League Schedule
1. Lancaster D1
2. Newark D1
3. Tri-Valley D2
4. Pickerington North D1
5. Parkersburg South AAA
5. Jackson D2 SEOAL Non-League#
6. Chillicothe D3 SEOAL Non-league#

Could make a 5 year agreement with the MVL, ECOL, CCL (Central Catholic League), OCC, TVC (Ohio), MSL (Ohio), MSL (Cardnial), MSL (Buckeye), CCL (Columbus City League), OVAC for Non-League Football Games?

League Schedule
7. Marietta D2*
8. Vincent Warren Local D3*
9. Zanesville D2*

One team from each respected Div would have to play 2 extra games out side the SEOAL. That's were an agreement or WV, KY Teams might come in handy. Until each Div has 6 teams. :-D

In Basketball Each Division play each other for there League Championship 2 times

8 games for the South Div
6 games for the North Div

In SEOAL Non-League Play each team would play 4 teams from the other SEOAL Division or 2 teams twice from the other div, optional. If the schools choose the 2 team option they will have the opportunity to play 2 more local area non-league games.

South plays 12 SEOAL total Games 8 League 4 other Div
North plays 10 SEOAL total Games 6 League 4 other Div

South plays 8 non-league games outside the SEOAL
South Teams could make an agreement with the OVC, TVC (Ohio), TVC (Hocking), SOC I and II, SVC, MSL (Buckeye), MSL (Cardinal), SCOL?

North plays 10 non-league games outside the SEOAL
Could make an agreement with the MVL, ECOL, CCL Central Catholic League, OCC, TVC Ohio, TVC Hocking, MSL Ohio, MSL Cardnial, CCL Columbus City League, OVAC?

BASKETBALL EXAMPLE: :-D

Example of a South Div Basketball Schedule;

Chillicothe CAVS D3
Non-League Schedule
1. Dover (Tournament) D2 ECOL
2. Coshocton D4 ECOL
3. Greenfield McClain D3 SCOL
4. Upper-Arlington D1 OCC-Ohio Div
5. Lancaster D1 OCC-Ohio Div
6. Newark D1 OCC-Ohio Div
7. Cambridge (Tournament) D3 ECOL
8. Marietta D2 SEOAL Other Div#
9. Zanesville D2 SEOAL Other Div#
10. Logan D2 SEOAL Other Div#
11. Vincent Warren Local D3 SEOAL Other Div#
12. Circleville D3 MSL-Buckeye Div
Noticed I picked all our former C.O.L. foes to play in Non-League :?: :-D

League Schedule
13. Gallipolis SEOAL South League Game*
14. Jackson D2 SEOAL League Game*
15. Ironton D4 SEOAL League Game*
16. Portsmouth D4 SEOAL League Game*
17. Gallipolis D4 SEOAL League Game*
18. Jackson D2 SEOAL League Game*
19. Ironton D4 SEOAL League Game*
20. Portsmouth D4 SEOAL League Game*

Each respected Division would seriously try to obtain expansion for there league within the SEOAL Split Divisions. I would also re-name the Divisions to like Buckeye and Ohio. Each would strive to get 6 teams into there Div.

Example of a North Div Basketball Schedule;

Vincent Warren Local Warriors D3
Non-League Schedule
1. McArthur Vinton County D3 TVC-Ohio
2. Belpre D5 TVC-Ohio
3. Ft. Frye D4 OVAC
4. The Plains Athens TVC-Ohio
5. New Lexington D4 MVL
6. Gallipolis D4 SEOAL South-Div Non-League Game#
7. Jackson D2 SEOAL South-Div Non-League Game#
8. Stewart Federal Hocking D5 TVC-Hocking
9. Nelsonville-York D5 TVC-Ohio
10. McConnelsville Morgan County D3 MVL
11. Parkersburg South, WV AAA
12. Gallipolis SEOAL South-Div Non-League Game#
13. Jackson D2 SEOAL South-Div Non-League Game#
14. Albany Alexander D4 TVC-Ohio

SEOAL League Schedule
15. Marietta D2 SEOAL League Game*
16. Zanesville D2 SEOAL League Game*
17. Logan D2 SEOAL SEOAL League Game*
18. Zanesville D2 SEOAL League Game*
19. Logan D2 SEOAL SEOAL League Game*
20. Marietta D2 SEOAL League Game*

The SEOAL should hire a CEO or Commissioner.

Well, what do you thank Noreply66.......and everybody else who really loves this SEOAL?

Last edited by Army on Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

10mike
I agree it should go back to one division only lets get rid of Ironton and Portsmouth. They are long trips for the Washington County teams and really are not that competive in many sports.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

10mike ...

Care to back that one up with some FACTS?

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

As far as commissioner goes the word "hire" is the problem. With fuel prices being so high budgets are already stretched.

Good idea, but without funds hard to implement.

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

so there is no commissioner or head of the governing body then, the league exists and is run helter skelter with no one to guide it on its path.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Not necessarily.

The MVL has long had a commissioner, but that role was more as an assigner of officials and other more administrative duties, with no powers. The principals and ADs maintain the authority, with the AD and principal of each school "running the league" on a rotational basis.

The problem is that most people think of commissioners in the vein of the professional sports, and a little less so as college athletics (which is actually closer to how it works at the HS level). Frankly, I really wouldn't want somebody with almost autonomous authority running the operation.

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

ZV

I am not advocating a heavy handed "manager", I was speaking more of a caretaker and someone that could be involved in problem resolution and planning. Of course individual schools would have to make their own committments regarding scheduling, the person I am speaking of would eb more of a facilitator/consultant.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

OK. Gotcha. That is really how the MVL commissioner operates now.

I was under the impression that there was an assigner in place for this year, but not someone who was doing the nuts and bolts work of league business. That's something that could be paid on a part-time or contractural basis, the cost being spread across all league members.

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

The job as I see it would/could also planning schedules to reduce conflicts and/or travel times that would require time away from the classroom and such for the student part of student/athlete. Schedule longer trip games for football on Saturdays, basketball long trips could be either Friday or Saturdays. Less interference with class and study time.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

I dont like the 2 divisions. I dont like that Logan doesnt play Jackson, that was a huge rivalry game. I would like to see it go back to an 8 team league or get bigger like a 10 team league. If it gets bigger, then there are less nonleague games to schedule. But Logan needs to have at leats two nonleague games with D2 or D1 teams to help with playoff points down the road. I just wish they would get it done and get it right. Or keep the South teams in the south playing the south teams and vice versa and it would eliminate travel concerns. Run it like the OCC, crown two champions, get bigger divisions and have 8 or so in both divisions and run it that way with governing bodies in both divsions.

10mike
Riding the Bench

Post by 10mike »

fighting_falcon wrote:10mike
I agree it should go back to one division only lets get rid of Ironton and Portsmouth. They are long trips for the Washington County teams and really are not that competive in many sports.

I really don't know if you are affiliated with Marietta or Warren, either way though, I didn't mean to offend anyone from either school. The fact is that Washington county is a very long trip for everyone in the SEOAL with maybe the exception of Logan. Considering todays economy, travel and distance must be set as a high priority when constructing high school athletic schedules.

10mike
Riding the Bench

Post by 10mike »

Zanes-Vegas wrote:

10mike ...

Care to back that one up with some FACTS?

There has been chatter on here since the creation of the "new" SEOAL about ZVille being unhappy in this league. If you want the FACTS, then utilize the search function on this website.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Logan grad wrote:I dont like the 2 divisions. I dont like that Logan doesnt play Jackson, that was a huge rivalry game. I would like to see it go back to an 8 team league or get bigger like a 10 team league. If it gets bigger, then there are less nonleague games to schedule. But Logan needs to have at leats two nonleague games with D2 or D1 teams to help with playoff points down the road. I just wish they would get it done and get it right. Or keep the South teams in the south playing the south teams and vice versa and it would eliminate travel concerns. Run it like the OCC, crown two champions, get bigger divisions and have 8 or so in both divisions and run it that way with governing bodies in both divsions.

I like the later idea. Two different divisions playing for seperate crowns. :-D

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

Good job Army. Sounds to me that you put alot of thought into this. Makes you think.

John 3:16

Return to “Football”