Split the SEOAL like the OCC, TVC, MSL

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Army wrote:
Logan grad wrote:I dont like the 2 divisions. I dont like that Logan doesnt play Jackson, that was a huge rivalry game. I would like to see it go back to an 8 team league or get bigger like a 10 team league. If it gets bigger, then there are less nonleague games to schedule. But Logan needs to have at leats two nonleague games with D2 or D1 teams to help with playoff points down the road. I just wish they would get it done and get it right. Or keep the South teams in the south playing the south teams and vice versa and it would eliminate travel concerns. Run it like the OCC, crown two champions, get bigger divisions and have 8 or so in both divisions and run it that way with governing bodies in both divsions.

I like the later idea. Two different divisions playing for seperate crowns. :-D

The TVC plays for two crowns in most sports and has never been an issue. People just look at them as 2 separate leagues that happen to have similar names.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

That is a key point some might not realize........IF you split the SEOAL into two seperate divisions like the TVC, it will be like they are two different leagues. As someone from a TVC OHIO school, I do not look at TVC HOCKING schools as being in my school's conference because games do not count in league standings. The NY vs. Trimble rivalry lost a lot when they were put in different leagues. It went from being a Week 10 matchup often for the league championship, to a mid-season non-league matchup, to next year being a Week 1 non-league matchup. Seperate divisions will lead to a loss in rivalries and eventually each division will see the other as being a completely seperate conference.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

10mike ...

I'm not searching for "facts." Those most likely would be hearsay, other than the stray quote from Scott Aronhalt last year about the league relative to the quality of basketball in it last season. Of course, folks such as you have expanded that into something that it's not.

BTW -- "Chatter" does not equal "fact." It only equals "rumor."

I'm very, very close to the ZHS athletics program, and that's why I ask for FACTS when I see these posts pop up about our desperation to leave the SEOAL. Not hearsay. Not convolution. Not extrapolation. FACTS.

Other than that, we could always get into a semantical discussion about the difference between "facts" and "truths."

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

ZV,

I thought it was common knowledge that Zanesville would like to leave the SEOAL. Didn't you even say that Zanesville would be willing to join other leagues such as the MVL, OVAC, or ECOL if the opportunity presented itself? I guess maybe I might be confusing these things with some of the "what if" threads, but I know I've heard this somewhere.

10mike might not be able to provide actual "facts" in the sense that you're looking for, but I think it's pretty evident that Zanesville isn't opposed to looking for greener pastures, so to speak.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

But facts are another thing.

While we would listen to other possibilities if they were presented, it doesn't mean we are actively seeking them. That's where this extension of logic comes into play, and it's incorrect.

We approached all of those leagues prior to our entry into the SEOAL (we are still members of the OVAC, but as noted, since there is no mandatory scheduling in that "league," it's really only an arrangement that benefits some of the so-called minor sports). The MVL, ECOL and OCC have never been interested in our inclusion, and that certainly doesn't stand to change anytime soon.

Bottom line: If (for example) the ECOL asked us if we were interested to join that league, I'm positive we would certainly explore it. But that's not about to happen. I hope I'm making the differentiation clear here. ;-)

But even if one of those leagues was to inquire about OUR interest, it still means we would go through a process to make sure such a move would be in the best interests of our school, our programs, our kids and our community.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I'll take your word for it. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish whether a school is "actively" seeking out other options. There are so many conversations in person, and on this board, about different possibilities that some things that aren't "facts" are actually taken as such. We'll just have to wait and see how things play out in the long run.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

You got that right! :lol:

I'm still trying to figure out this "official" Ironton thing, let alone deal with conjecture about our situation!

10mike
Riding the Bench

Post by 10mike »

ZV,

Excuse me for not having everything that has been said about ZVille athletics during the past couple of years documented. Anyone who hasn't been living under a rock knows that there has been a lot of talk, chatter, discussion, or whatever else you want to call it, about the possibility of ZVille leaving the newly formed SEOAL. Does any of that discussion equal fact? Maybe, maybe not. Wasn't it ZVille that didn't send representatives to some SEOAL meetings?

Army
S

Post by Army »

noreply66 wrote:Army

pretty good idea

helps with the travel and could/would help schedule other closer teams

Anything to keep the league together also this might make it easier for the North to pick up a 5th team

Could work :?:

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

10mike
your facts are almost true.

Warren to Logan is about 1 hr 15min. It is almost the same time to get to Gallia. Jackson is about 1hr 20 minutes by bus and Chilli is about 1hr 30 minutes. I have made those trips many times so I know how long it takes.
Athens was 40 minutes and Marietta is about 25 minutes.
Those are the old schools in the SEOAL (before expansion) and I included Chilli becaue we had to travel there for district competition so much.

You see travel was not an issue for many unitl expansion and now I only hear it from the southern schools (all three new ones). You were not in a league (or getting out - OCC) and now you are complaining about it.

All I was saying was it is not accurate to say travel concerns for Gallia and Jackson or even Chilli to come ot Warren or Marietta they have been doing it for over 20 years.

So instead of always trying to get rid of Washington County maybe Washington County would rather Ironton and Portsmouth follow Athens lead.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

your living in lala land. this new group they have put together will not last it was a quick fix. only seeing the old schoolers being around in 5 years or so :idea:

Return to “Football”