Top 5 games all-time of the Buckeyes-Chieftans rivalry

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Top 5 games all-time of the Buckeyes-Chieftans rivalry

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

What makes a rivalry a rivalry? Is it the won-loss record of the teams playing, or the emotion of the teams and the towns playing that game? Between 1967 and 2002, Nelsonville-York and Logan played each other a total of 27 times (the old Nelsonville-Logan series existed from the beginning of organized high school football through the 1966 season).

NY has played Logan more times than any other school that is not a member of the Tri-Valley Conference. While Logan leads the all-time series 21-6, these schools have played some close contests in front of thousands of fans every year this game was played. I bet most schools would love to have a game that would put around 4,000 fans in the stadium every year that it was played!

Seven games were decided by a touchdown or less, so I couldn't leave any of those games off of this list. Logan came out on top in 5 of these 7 games. The classic '94, '95, and '96 games all make this list.

#5 1996 - At Boston Field, the Buckeyes came out on top 28-21. NY won 3 out of 4 against Logan between '94-'97, and this was the most success any Nelsonville team (Greyhounds included) ever had against the Chieftans in that time span.

#5 1969 - In the final SEOAL contest between the two schools, the Chieftans came out on top 20-14 at Polley Field in Nelsonville. The Buckeyes and Chieftans would continue to play each other as a non-league game through 2002 in every year except: '72, '73, '74, '78, '83, '84, '85, '90, and '91. The two teams were to play in '78, but the Logan teachers strike prevented the game from taking place, so NY played the Alliance Aviators that season instead.

#4 1995 - At the Hilltop, this game was decided by a field goal, as the Chieftans won 21-18. The Chieftans were always a tough team, and they were even tougher when the games were played at Logan. The Buckeyes only defeated the Chieftans twice in Logan.

#3 1979 - The Buckeyes had turned around their football program by 1972. NY and Logan played each other in '75, '76, and '77 (Logan strike cancelled '78 meeting) and Logan won each of those games in convincing fashion. NY had started to win TVC championships, but would the Buckeyes ever be good enough to play a competative game against the Chiefs? We got that answer in '79. In a game played at NY, the Chieftans came out on top by one point - 10-9. Even though this was another loss to the Chieftans for the Buckeyes, it was the first contest between the schools that NY had a chance of winning at the end since the Buckeyes left the SEOAL for the TVC. In 1972, their third season in the TVC, the Buckeyes found out they could play well against the teams in the TVC. In 1979, the Buckeyes found out that they were finally good enough to compete against the Chiefs.

#3 1980 - The difference between the '79 and '80 games? Not much! This time at the Hilltop, the Chiefs came out on top by one point again. The final score was 7-6. A great defensive battle that was decided by a PAT. NY had now lost twice in a row by one point. They would finally be rewarded with convincing wins against Logan in '81 and '82.

#2 1989 - In the only game of the series to go to overtime, this legendary defensive battle saw the score tied at the end of regulation at the same score it was at opening kickoff - 0-0. In overtime, Logan scored a dramatic touchdown to win 6-0.

#1 1994 - At Boston Field, this was a showdown between two giants. In the second week of the season, both teams showed the type of season each would have. Late in the fourth quarter, NY was up 20-13. Logan scored a dramatic touchdown as time was about to expire on the clock. The Chieftans went for the PAT to tie the game and send it to overtime. The emotions on both sides of the field were high, and Logan missed the kick! NY won the game 20-19. NY would go on to an 11-1 season. Logan would recover and run over every team in the SEOAL to win the league. I debated with myself to see if this game should be number one, or if the only overtime game should be number one. In the end, I chose this game because the 1994 teams that NY and Logan fielded are among the best either school has ever fielded in my opinion. So this game was truly one for the ages!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

The years that Woodson and Smathers played in the backfield-I think they didn't play---The state Championship year would have been a runaway for the Athens county boys.

One of the best [the best] teams in southern Ohio that year

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us

Return to “Football”