OVC 2008

allsport
Freshman Team

OVC 2008

Post by allsport »

Coal Grove and South Point took a share of the title in 2007. Rock Hill was the only OVC team to make the playoffs. Fairland has a ton of talent returning. It's time for Chesapeake to resurface and River Valley is always unpredictable... SO... with all of that said... who will come out on top and what players should we be watching to make a big impact in 2008. Support your opinions please!

allsport
Freshman Team

Post by allsport »

Rock Hill will be returning most of their lineman, but losing their QB and a couple of backs. There are several replacments to choose from... I think it will be a matter of who works the hardest in the off-season and who proves their mental toughness in summer camps and fall drills. Fairland will be offensively tough with Hatfield, Lamb, and Bloomfield returning... they seem to always have extremely athletic teams... Coal Grove returns the bruising running of DeLauder and they always have a good line, and a good coaching staff... SP will have some big holes to fill with Weed and Seagraves leaving, but again they have great athletes in the system... Chesapeake showed some strong signs for next season as last year's schedule winded down... they have some real bright spots and speed... RV will have some size as usual and a new coach. Depending on their system and the learning curve will determine their success.

buckeyeshots
Freshman Team

Post by buckeyeshots »

I believe the way the OVC has been developing in the past few years that any team can beat any other team at any given moment. SO, it looks like it all comes down to who wants it more. i.e. River Valley vs. Coal Grove lat year. Who would have thought?

If you want to win the OVC, you better really care and hope your players stay in line

Championship
JV Team

Post by Championship »

allsport...Seagraves will be a Senior for South Point....Im going to say that Fairland is the favorite just because of Hatfield and company....SP does have some holes to fill but they have people to fill those holes with if Mayo plays look out for him he was a stud as a freshman but took a year off. But defensively SP will have to step up....Losing Smith,Garred,Weed,Hughes and Woody on that defense will be rough.....RH is always good and CG does return a bruising running attack....

1.Fairland
2.South Point
3. Coal Grove
4. Rock Hill
5. Chesapeake
6. River Valley

allsport
Freshman Team

Post by allsport »

Championship wrote:allsport...Seagraves will be a Senior for South Point....Im going to say that Fairland is the favorite just because of Hatfield and company....SP does have some holes to fill but they have people to fill those holes with if Mayo plays look out for him he was a stud as a freshman but took a year off. But defensively SP will have to step up....Losing Smith,Garred,Weed,Hughes and Woody on that defense will be rough.....RH is always good and CG does return a bruising running attack....

1.Fairland
2.South Point
3. Coal Grove
4. Rock Hill
5. Chesapeake
6. River Valley

Thanks Chaampionship... I had know idea Seagraves is back... he is a very good back and linebacker... I heard Weed was intertaining WV Wesleyan College for football. I would have to agree with your picks... with all of the question marks with the other teams at this point.

Championship
JV Team

Post by Championship »

weed would for sure play defense at the next level maybe wide out but like nirvana said hes tall and lanky but weselyn isnt a big college so its not like hes gettin the lumber layed on him....hopefully he does go play college ball....hes doin pretty well for himself in basketball this year as well....hes just a good all around athlete....nirvana is right tho our o-line should be pretty good....u lose williamson but u still have adkins ross smith and mcclure will prolly play next season so the o-line should look good not to mention pack is an animal hes always lookin to lay the wood on sum1...also i heard that the kid that transfered from hhs thats playin on the basketball team is a pretty good tailback....any truth to this?....if so sp will be loaded at tailback with seagraves dillon logan this kid i mean so many options as a coach

allsport
Freshman Team

Post by allsport »

With Mayo's huge basketball upside do you really think he will risk football? I would love to see him play, but I think a lot will depend on what transpires with his summer AAU basketball. Who is the transfer from HH? What grade and skills does he have?

justagame
Waterboy

Post by justagame »

[weed would get broke in half if he played at the next level he weighs like 100 pounds. No doubt in my mind south point will win. Everyone we lost is replaceable. Plus we get logan and mayo. Our line will be unstopable.]

I doubt that. Weed actually has a few schools looking at him. Among them are several DII. [/quote]

TOP OF THE GROVE
Riding the Bench

Post by TOP OF THE GROVE »

1.CG
2.rh
3.sp
4.peak
5.rv
6.fairland

JMO ;-)

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Re: OVC 2008

Post by abuck76 »

WVWC is a D-II school.

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

Look for a Indian Uprising !! :mrgreen:

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Alot will depend on if Lamb,Bloomfield and Hatfield transfer and if so where. :?

SouthBound
Waterboy

Post by SouthBound »

Weed signs to play football at W.Va. Wesleyan
Feb 23, 2008 @ 12:00 AM
By GRANT TRAYLOR
The Herald-Dispatch
SOUTH POINT, Ohio -- Beau Weed has always seen Orange and Black as the enemy's colors over his career at South Point High School.

That's why he was quick to point out to friends and family Friday that his new sweatshirt bearing those colors mean he is joining the West Virginia Wesleyan Bobcats, not the Ironton Fighting Tigers.

Weed, a multi-sport standout for the Pointers, signed Friday to play football at West Virginia Wesleyan.

"From here on out, I'm a Bobcat," Weed said.

Fresh off helping the Pointers to a 20-1 basketball record and Ohio Valley Conference title, Weed said he was happy to get the decision out of the way and enjoy the rest of his senior year, which still includes baseball season.

Weed also showed his athletic versatility for the Pointer football team last season when he moved into the quarterback spot while also leading the team in the secondary.

His ability to find the football and playmaking skills were evident at South Point where he holds the school record with 17 career interceptions.

But, Wesleyan recruited him as a wide receiver.

"Being 6-foot-3 and his ability to be an athlete in the open field, that was a big draw for them," South Point football coach Doug Shilot said. "We met with the Wesleyan coaches and exchanged film and talked about Beau's character and work ethic and they were excited about getting him."

In addition to being an all-district selection for the last two years, Weed was chosen as a Division IV All-Ohio first team player last fall.

"That's a great recognition that Beau received and it was well-deserved," Shilot said.

In addition to the football side of things, Weed said Wesleyan is close to home and has good academic programs. He chose to play for the Bobcats over Tiffin University.

Weed's family was at the signing ceremony and he said it was great to be able to share it with them after the help they had given him over the last 18 years. He also could not ignore the relief of finalizing his collegiate plans.

"I'm just excited that I finally got it over because it has been hectic," Weed said. "Signing in front of them after all the hard work they have put in to me, it was all just special."

getagrip
Waterboy

Post by getagrip »

bucking red wrote:Alot will depend on if Lamb,Bloomfield and Hatfield transfer and if so where. :?

Whatever. I'm sick of listenting to adults being scared over the threats kids make. If players did threaten to transfer, I'm sure they were just blowing off steam. If not, let 'em leave. I want them to stay, but, believe or not, the quality of life in our community will not suffer if they do leave. Some adults need to get a grip.

sportsnut mom
Freshman Team

Post by sportsnut mom »

Its people like you who need to get a grip. Our community is already suffering because we lost our COACHING STAFF! If the kids transfer its because of their future to hopefully further their education and I'm sure not one family takes this decision lightly. It's not blowing off steam. People like you still don't get the amount of time this staff put into football and what was best for the kids. IMO the staff was more concerned about what was best for the kids than 3 of the these board members ever were. People like you chewing their ear off keeping the phone lines hot with complaints. Alot is riding on who takes their places. These boys have a lot on their minds.

getagrip
Waterboy

Post by getagrip »

sportsnut mom wrote:Our community is already suffering because we lost our COACHING STAFF!

Oh yes, our community is suffering. It's what everyone is talking about.
Believe it or not, this isn't consuming the lives of most people. The people most worked up are really close to some of the players, and/or the coaching staff.
The sympathy I do hear is directed toward coach Wilcoxen, not the coaching staff. Much of the staff's influence and obsession over local youth sports over the years has turned off much of the community. That's one reason there isn't much outrage. Wilcoxen's biggest mistake was in picking his coaching staff.
That being said, I still have problems with the board's decision. The board's motives are not out of true concern for the kids or the football program. They just want to play coach. It's a vicious cycle that just hurts the program.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Should be another great year in the OVC.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I would of chose Fairland because all of the returning talent but I don't know how the will respond to a new coach. Might have to go with South Point.

the pooper
Waterboy

Post by the pooper »

sportsnut mom, if the parents of these kids are really worried about their future education, then they should probably stay at the top educational school in the district rather than going somewhere else.

Return to “Football”