The "Transfer Epidemic" Cause and Effect?

Kenraken Ahta
JV Team

The "Transfer Epidemic" Cause and Effect?

Post by Kenraken Ahta »

Each year there are more and more kids that transfer from one school to another to play football. I suppose sometimes it is kids that have issues with the school or the football program and sometimes the parents have issues with the school or the football program, maybe even a little of both. I think 2008 will see some southern ohio schools lose and pick up kids from another school. No names at this time, but you will see some shuffling again this year, possibly more so than we have seen before here in Southern Ohio. There may be a kid play football at his third school in as many years in 2008! What is the cause and what may be the effect on the kids? I guess society has changed to the point that our youth are brought up to believe it is "OK" to go look elsewhere if they are not happy with their present situation. Sometimes it may be a good thing and there are other times, maybe not. Not so many years ago, going to a new school happened because your folks moved. These days, with the rules as they are, you can move as you please. What is the cause and effect for this new "fad"? What has happened to the "home grown" football programs of the past? Your thoughts?

PAIN IS TEMPORARY..........CHAMPIONSHIPS ARE FOREVER!!
Army
S

Post by Army »

Is the transfer issues dealing with teams closer to the River :?: :-D

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Army -

People in glass houses should throw stones. Unless you meant the Scioto River?

Army
S

Post by Army »

LoganLocos wrote:Army -

There again....you are stirring the pot. Why don't you try to practice what you preach on here. But of course I would expect that from a know it all sports man who never played Football but tries to in-put to other schools what they should do. All I asked was a simple question on transfers close to river schools. I did not ask for your ignorant sarcism or your normal relpy. I have conversed with this poster before and we know a mutal friend, whom I served with in the military.

But you and that long nose of yours had to butt in before knowing this or the post :!: :roll: :roll:

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Newark Catholic has lost a lot of players in the last few years and it has hurt them a lot.

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

This is easy, transfers sit out a year. Im pretty sure that would slow it down. Of course you do not want to sit out a kid whose parents actually move, but I guess they always figure out a way around that. I guess I am talking out of both sides of my mouth. Open enrollment was not ment for athletes to transfer to the best teams or transfer because they dont like the coach but we all know it has come to that and every team out there has a few. IMO

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Army wrote:

There again....you are stirring the pot. Why don't you try to practice what you preach on here. But of course I would expect that from a know it all sports man who never played Football but tries to in-put to other schools what they should do. All I asked was a simple question on transfers close to river schools. I did not ask for your ignorant sarcism or your normal relpy. I have conversed with this poster before and we know a mutal friend, whom I served with in the military.

But you and that long nose of yours had to butt in before knowing this or the post :!: :roll: :roll:

Is that the pot calling the kettle black?

Army
S

Post by Army »

LoganLocos wrote:
Army wrote:

Is that the pot calling the kettle black?

As stated 2old...oh I mean Locos, there you go again. The topic is questioning about transfers.

The reply is about a few teams on the Ohio River, but you wouldn't care to discuss the topic....instead you are more concerned about spewing more trash on here like your Number 1.....Number 2 :!: :-D

Kenraken Ahta
JV Team

Post by Kenraken Ahta »

Army wrote:Is the transfer issues dealing with teams closer to the River :?: :-D

Well, let's start up the river at Ironton and work our way back down the river. Let's look back at the past few years. I remember when Coach Lutz stepped down at Ironton there were some transfers out, some to Wheelersburg and maybe to Rockhill. Franklin Furnace Green has lost some kids the past few years to Wheelersburg and Ironton. Lucasville Valley lost four kids to Portsmouth Notre Dame just this past year. Portsmouth West lost one kid to Notre Dame this past year. Notre Dame lost a pretty good running back to East this past year. Northwest lost a pretty good running back to Portsmouth West just a few years ago. Any further up or down the Ohio or Scioto Rivers I'm not aware of so much. I guess the kids and their parents were looking for the "greener grass" and whether they found it or not varies from case to case. There may be more that I am not aware of, but it does seem to be a fact that there are more transfers these days than there have been years ago. I can see it if you have a kid who may have a shot at scholarship to play at the next level. Let' face it, if you are a gifted football player, you will get more exposure and have a better shot at a scholarship if you are at Ironton, Wheelersburg or Portsmouth than you would at Green or Northwest. I guess these are the times of change that we live in these days.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Kenraken Ahta wrote:
Army wrote:Is the transfer issues dealing with teams closer to the River :?: :-D

Well, let's start up the river at Ironton and work our way back down the river. Let's look back at the past few years. I remember when Coach Lutz stepped down at Ironton there were some transfers out, some to Wheelersburg and maybe to Rockhill. Franklin Furnace Green has lost some kids the past few years to Wheelersburg and Ironton. Lucasville Valley lost four kids to Portsmouth Notre Dame just this past year. Portsmouth West lost one kid to Notre Dame this past year. Notre Dame lost a pretty good running back to East this past year. Northwest lost a pretty good running back to Portsmouth West just a few years ago. Any further up or down the Ohio or Scioto Rivers I'm not aware of so much. I guess the kids and their parents were looking for the "greener grass" and whether they found it or not varies from case to case. There may be more that I am not aware of, but it does seem to be a fact that there are more transfers these days than there have been years ago. I can see it if you have a kid who may have a shot at scholarship to play at the next level. Let' face it, if you are a gifted football player, you will get more exposure and have a better shot at a scholarship if you are at Ironton, Wheelersburg or Portsmouth than you would at Green or Northwest. I guess these are the times of change that we live in these days.

Kenraken Ahta,

I hear you. It just used to be Ironton years ago down there doing that, but it seems it's become a habit for several schools to grab the best Athletes in a County. Hopefully those schools coaches will get more involved with the Athletes and convince them to stay and play for the school system's program that they grew up in. I think some parents are at fault too. :-D

They think if they move there kids out to a better program, they may get a look for a better football scholarship. There are some that take place around the SVC schools. Chillicothe did not pass a levy about 5 years ago and many kids booted for the SVC schools so they could play sports. When Chillicothe did not pass there levy the first time, they had to drop some sports and go to pay to play. Then a few years back Chillicothe finally passed the levy, dropped the pay to play, re-instituted all sports programs, got some new buldings and now we are getting most of those kids back into our system. There families started transferring them back about three years ago. :-D

That's where the jealous ones like Locos come in. He doesn't know that or he seems to forget that part. :roll:

Don't mind Mr. Trouble Maker Locos from Logan.

He's always butting in on everybodies threads. Just like his mentor who taught him how well :!:

The guy is not that bad of a person, knows stats and can be civil, but then there is the other side of him. To boot, he's always telling others on here from the SEOAL how they should play or what there schools should do in Football to get better. Heck....he never played the sport at Logan, but he's always on here telling everyone else how they can fix there Football Programs. What a Joke. :roll:

I hope some kids stay at home this year and play for the schools they grew up in. Good Luck.

Hey how's Mark been :?:

Tell him if you talk to him, I said Hi :!:

And SEMPER FI from his former Marine Buddy at Camp Lejune, N.C. back in the day :!: :-D

Take Care

ARMY :-D

Kenraken Ahta
JV Team

Post by Kenraken Ahta »

oldschoolblue wrote:This is easy, transfers sit out a year. Im pretty sure that would slow it down. Of course you do not want to sit out a kid whose parents actually move, but I guess they always figure out a way around that. I guess I am talking out of both sides of my mouth. Open enrollment was not ment for athletes to transfer to the best teams or transfer because they dont like the coach but we all know it has come to that and every team out there has a few. IMO

Agreed, setting out a year would fix it, but it would have to be enforced to the "T".

Kenraken Ahta
JV Team

Post by Kenraken Ahta »

newarkcatholicfan wrote:Newark Catholic has lost a lot of players in the last few years and it has hurt them a lot.

The Geen Wave faired pretty well this year though! Congratulations by the way!

awesomepossum
Freshman Team

Post by awesomepossum »

Transferring is a personal issue. Most people who make a big deal out of it are either:

1 - People from the school that they are leaving that are bitter.

or

2 - People from the school the kid is tranferring to that are mad because the new kid might take little johnnys starting position.

If a student and his family wants to move to better opportunities, whether academic or athletic, whats the problem? Is it really everybodys business to debate? It's just high school...

Mighty Mighty Devils
All Conference

Post by Mighty Mighty Devils »

well open enrollment is wrong it should nt be happening if you wanna change go back to the old way and pay for it .

awesomepossum
Freshman Team

Post by awesomepossum »

Mighty Mighty Devils wrote:well open enrollment is wrong it should nt be happening if you wanna change go back to the old way and pay for it .

Explain.. why is it wrong? If someone doesn't want to go to a certain school, why shouldn't they be free to go somewhere else?

mangywulf
Waterboy

Post by mangywulf »

Way too much transfering to avoid academic and conduct problems

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

most transfers seem to have the grass is greener on the other side mentality or they have the Ill take my ball and go home syndrome. Open enrollment was not set up for athletes in general but as many do people bend and break rules. Some kids will always go to greener pastures and will have to look back on there high school careers and tell there kids and grand kids what 4 high schools they attended when they were in school.

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

Transfers out for athletic reasons are different than for academic reasons. Both indicate problems in a system but athletic transfers often end up disappointing for the student. If a system is experiencing unusually large transfer numbers then perhaps they should do an internal audit to determine the causes.

RV and Gallia County Local Schools have seen this for years. Some standout athletes from our ajoining districts have once worn black and silver or red and gold. A few have gone on to success at the next level and a few have not succeeded at their school of choice.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

It has gotten out of hand. If I had the time I would conduct a study on how many kids "transfered" as opposed to actually moving. For example; Vinton County had lost 4 kids last summer. Three "transfered," two to Chillicothe and one to Wellston, the final kid moved with his father who was an Army Recruiter to Niles, Ohio. So I am saying that our ratio is 3 to 1. And that is for one school in the Southeast District.

If everyone would be honest and identify their ratio of kids that "transfered" and those that actually moved so that following criteria from the OHSAA bylaws exsist:

In determining one’s residence for purposes of these Bylaws, the following criteria shall apply: (a) where the parents and family members sleep the majority of the time, (b) where the mail is received, (c) where the meals are prepared and eaten, (d) where the parents are registered to vote, and (e) where important family activities take place during significant parts of each day.

...then I believe that the number is even more alarming. And those like myself who are loyal to their school and community and want to see their homegrown kids succeed, well lets just say it is extremely hurtful for everyone involved.

However, I am afraid this is only the tip of the iceberg. I willing to bet that these "ratios" will only get larger in the next 5 to 10 years.

Just my humble opinion.

footballfan
JV Team

Post by footballfan »

An easy solution would be for the OHSAA to put in a "100 mile rule". If the kid transfers to a school within 100 miles of his school district, then the kid sits out 1 year.

Return to “Football”