New Boston Tigers thinking of starting Football again?

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Army they still recieve state money therefore they can be ordered to consolidated. Just take away the money and they go belly up.

Army
S

Post by Army »

bengalfan76 wrote:Army they still recieve state money therefore they can be ordered to consolidated. Just take away the money and they go belly up.

bengalfan76,

Not as long as they are meeting all the required standards that a Charter School in Ohio is required to by the State Law passed by the State Legislature concerning Charter Schools in Ohio. :-D

No disrespect, but you must not understand that, or you wouldn't make a blanket statement like the one you just posted. Check out the Ohio DOE Website the requirements for a Public Charter School. You would be looking for a major law suit by the community and a big black eye for the State in plublicity if Sciotoville Community is meeting all the standards and would stop receiving funds from the State all because someone wants them to consolidate with New Boston. :roll:

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

East will continue to stay open, thats not even an issue.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Army wrote:
bengalfan76 wrote:Army they still recieve state money therefore they can be ordered to consolidated. Just take away the money and they go belly up.

bengalfan76,

Not as long as they are meeting all the required standards that a Charter School in Ohio is required to by the State Law passed by the State Legislature concerning Charter Schools in Ohio. :-D

No disrespect, but you must not understand that, or you wouldn't make a blanket statement like the one you just posted. Check out the Ohio DOE Website the requirements for a Public Charter School. You would be looking for a major law suit by the community and a big black eye for the State in plublicity if Sciotoville Community is meeting all the standards and would stop receiving funds from the State all because someone wants them to consolidate with New Boston. :roll:
[/quote

LOL You are correct i have never read the requirements of the DOE on Charter schools, nor do I care to. OK East stays separate and they combine NB and Clay. All I know is I'm tired of my tax $$$$ going to build new schools for such a small population. Trust me I understand enough.lol

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

My brothers kids go to Clay and he said that New Boston was dead set against a merger with Clay. As for either of them ever having football in the future, as long as both are having success at soccer I don't ever see it happening becuase of the lack of boys left for football after the soccer teams are filled.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

VIKED_MAN wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:What happened to make them drop football??

I BELIEVE A PLAYER GOT KILLED DURING A GAME?
SOMEONE FROM DOWN THAT WAY COULD VERIFY THIS, BUT I THINK I AM CORRECT. 1974 SEASON I DO BELIEVE THAT I READ THAT SOMEWHERE. Robbie died in a car crash. The program was dropped for lack of numbers out .RIP Rob

GO VIKES

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

What was this tragedy that made New Boston qut participation in football? Speaking to the old timers around here, New Boston was pretty good...just curious

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

Incognito wrote:What was this tragedy that made New Boston qut participation in football? Speaking to the old timers around here, New Boston was pretty good...just curious

They simply did not have the numbers. I think, the last year for football at New Boston was '78 or '79 because we had some kids transfer to East to play and it was either my 8th grade or Freshmen year. I could be wrong on the year, but it is close.

fpcoach
Freshman Team

Post by fpcoach »

Rob Salyers died in a car crash in 74 or 75, nothing to do with the football program closing. 1978 was the last year NB fielded a team. 4 Tiger football players became Tartan football players in 1979.

Syntax
Riding the Bench

Post by Syntax »

I think the football tragedy was actually at Clay. Maybe their last season (in the 50's?).

hilltopkid
Freshman Team

Post by hilltopkid »

Would love to see that stadium turned into a football field.Very nostalgiac.
For those who don't know, NB produced a pretty good football player by the name of Ed Thompson-He was a QB turned LB and Captain 1n 74 or 75 at OSU. For any OSU fans, Ed is mentioned in the new book called "...and Tress said to Troy" It tells the hilarious story of how and why he switched from QB to LB.It's towards the back part of the book. It's a pretty good book, filled with pregame speeches and stories throughout the history of the program.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

hilltopkid wrote:Would love to see that stadium turned into a football field.Very nostalgiac.
For those who don't know, NB produced a pretty good football player by the name of Ed Thompson-He was a QB turned LB and Captain 1n 74 or 75 at OSU. For any OSU fans, Ed is mentioned in the new book called "...and Tress said to Troy" It tells the hilarious story of how and why he switched from QB to LB.It's towards the back part of the book. It's a pretty good book, filled with pregame speeches and stories throughout the history of the program.

\\\\

tartanblue was headed out to buy that book when he read this...............

but I told him uit didnt have pictures :lol:

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Syntax wrote:I think the football tragedy was actually at Clay. Maybe their last season (in the 50's?).

my fiancee had a teacher when she went to clay and they were talkin about clay havin a football team and they told her that someone was killed during a game or practice. i can't remember which

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Tartanblue wrote:New Boston is the one who contacted East about possibly joining to make a new school but stay two seperate schools. East has just listened to what is being said. East is a charter school and has been since 2002, their enrollment has grown each year they have been open and has tested very well in the state's tests to see how they are doing.

As far as New Boston having football will not happen on their own too small of a school.

Notre Dame only has about 90 kids and they field a football team every year!
How many students go to Glenwood?

Notre Dame also had a few years where football would be in question of having a team when they were down to 15 on a team but lasted through that to have the players they have now. New Boston would be even worse asking themselfs if they could have a team year after year.

what about green. they have football and they only have 81 boys

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

But Green also doesnt have soccer

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

NB never had a player die playing football. Robbie Salyers died in a car accident about 3 yrs after he graduated and the year NB stopped having football.
The last full season was the fall of 1979. In 1980, the day before school started there were only 12 players on the varsity team. I was in 8th grade and we had 13 on the team (7-8 combined). They had a special board meeting the evening before school and decided to stop the program. A lot of boys transfered to East and Notre Dame, both at the HS and Jr. High. Also, we had lost alot of families because of the still mill closing.Straight from someone who knows

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

I rember scrimaging New Boston in 1980.

NICKNEVADA
All Conference

Re: New Boston Tigers thinking of starting Football again?

Post by NICKNEVADA »

I played 1 year of pee wee there and then played atEast. My cousin transferrd to EAST AND DOMINATED ON D,-THE late great Tony Hiles.NB won't have FB on it's own.Besides they already have Sunday morning touch with ex soccer players! It's hilarious and they are so serious!

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

The last year that the New Boston Tigers had a full season of football was 1979! I was a freshman in 1980 and we started two-a-days and we was scheduled to go for a scrimmage and only 10 players showed up. I remember sitting on the bus and Coach Gagaie (sounds like gay guy when you pronounce it) pulled in front of the bus and said that the football program was cancelled and for everyone to go home! He said the superintendent cancelled the football program and the board agreed with him!

I went to Minford and played for Morris Gullion one year and Jeff Berry for two years and transferred to East my senior year and played for second year coach Darryl Davis and we won his first of 5 SOC Championships! That was the 1983 season!

1979 was the last year!

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

Axe N Shield wrote:I went to Minford and played for Morris Gullion one year and Jeff Berry for two years and transferred to East my senior year and played for second year coach Darryl Davis and we won his first of 5 SOC Championships! That was the 1983 season!

Hey Ole Buddy, I think you transferred your junior year. I remember cruising in a black Mustang that year, too. Not to mention that according to the 1982 East yearbook, you were on the 3200 meter relay team that set a school record. I see your memory is fading now that you are getting old! :-D BTW, I cannot believe the shorts you all wore....I guess that was the style then, but today it would be considered....well...you know.

Return to “Football”