Athens Football 2008

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Athens Football 2008

Post by Orange and Brown »

What does everyone think about the Bulldogs chance of hitting .500 this year. I know that there getting back to basics and working on the little things and they have some teams that they can beat this year on there schedule. There biggest problem last year was there o-line and tackling. If they can take care of those they will be a better team.
They had a great group of sophomores that should be able to contribute at the varsity leval. They really need to hit the wate room though. and conditioning is a big problem that they have to address

Go getem Todd brothers!!!!!!!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

I know some one has something to say. Right?
8)

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

What is their schedule for this year outside of the TVC?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Mister B wrote:What is their schedule for this year outside of the TVC?

I know they play GAHS,Fed Hock,Wahamma, and I think Bloom Carol, :-D

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

:-D :?:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Maybe three wins at the most

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

I think 3 would be a good number for them

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Based on their schedule, I think Athens has a chance to go .500.

Athens will most likely win these three games: Alexander, Wellston, Federal Hocking.

Athens will most likely lose these three games: Gallia Academy, Meigs, Nelsonville-York.

With the remaining four games, I give Athens an advantage over Bloom Carroll and Vinton County. I think Belpre and Wahama have a slight advantage over the Bulldogs.

If this plays out, Athens will go 5-5. I think at least 4 wins is highly likely for the Bulldogs.

Since 1990, Athens has only defeated NY twice, consecutive years with Grant Gregory as QB. However, if you look at game scores from many of those games, Athens played NY closer than several of the TVC teams.

I think it is a big mistake for every TVC OHIO school to assume they will beat Athens next year. Athens will see immediate improvement on their overall record based on their new schedule, including non-league games. I think it is highly likely Athens will be right in the middle of the pack in 2008. Right now, I predict Athens to finish fourth out of the seven team conference. I see Athens finishing ahead of Wellston, Alexander, and Vinton County and behind Nelsonville-York, Meigs, and Belpre.

I think Athens made the right decision with their non-league games. Step one is to be able to defeat smaller schools on a consistant basis. If Athens wants to play with the big boys in non-league games, they must first be able to handle the smaller schools. I see Athens playing schools such as Wahama, Federal Hocking, and Bloom Carroll for the immediate future until the Bulldogs know their program can consistantly beat these schools. At that point, you start to upgrade your nonleague schedule. I'm assuming that is the thought process at Athens, and I have to say that I agree with it 100%.

If Athens can maintain coaching stability, I think they will once again be a powerhouse in football. When NY left the SEOAL, NY drastically changed their non-league schedule as well. After a couple years, NY became a powerhouse and never looked back. NY also had coaching stability at that time, so if Athens can achieve that, I think they could see the same results NY saw when NY left the SEOAL for the TVC.

Considering the long rivalry of Athens and Nelsonville - in the SEOAL, as a non-league rivalry, and now in the TVC - there is nothing I would like more than to see a Week 10 matchup between the Bulldogs and Buckeyes with the TVC Championship on the line.

bulldog0909
Freshman Team

Post by bulldog0909 »

can only imagine how much the NY vs Athens rivalry will grow and grow, isee it being a week 10 game in the future to determine the league champs......

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Being an NY fan and having 2 nephews who play for athens I hope they get better. Those young men from Athens work very hard just like every one else.They deserve to win and I hope it starts happening soon.
Bring it on Bull Puppies!!!!!! :-D :-D

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Athens and Nelson-York are so close together maybe they could start this pre-game thing of jogging to the games,taking the Poston Rd route.

That might be closer than so visiting teams do at some places.
Remember at Logan when the visitors had to jog up past the fans and go over to the grade school?

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

noreply66 wrote:Athens and Nelson-York are so close together maybe they could start this pre-game thing of jogging to the games,taking the Poston Rd route.

Remember at Logan when the visitors had to jog up past the fans and go over to the grade school?

Thats funny I don't care who you are.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That would be one heck of a jog

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

noreply66 wrote:Athens and Nelson-York are so close together maybe they could start this pre-game thing of jogging to the games,taking the Poston Rd route.

They could use the new bikepath and jog over trahpile errr Woodlane Drive when they come to Nelsonville.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

:lol: LOL :lol:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

:-D Go Bulldogs :-D

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

What sports will Athens immediately be a factor in possibly winning a TVC Championship next season?

I would think baseball and golf would be high on the list.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

NYBuckeye96 wrote:What sports will Athens immediately be a factor in possibly winning a TVC Championship next season?

I also think that they will be good in track and be very good among the schools that have cross country.There Vollyball team isn't bad either. (8th grade went undifeated) Softball should do allright to.
I almost forgot wrestling they will be top 3 in the TVC there.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

kind of odd seeing a NY poster so enthusiastic about Athens football but it's all justified by your two nephews. the todd brothers? doesnt ring a bell, what year are they?

anyway, 07 was Coach Adams' first year so this gives him an entire year to figure out what needs the most emphasis and act upon those needs. personally, i think tackling should be the #1 focuse followed closely by o-line. if Adams is as good as he's made out to be, he'll attack those issues this summer and with a combination of great improvement, a really good junior class getting significant varsity time and a new schedule, Athens just might break .500 this year....if they're lucky ;-)

i also think junior QB Tanner Cannon needs to hit the weights. as mentioned before, athens doesnt have the best line and i think he'll find himself running a lot again this year.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

:-D One will be a jr. and the other will be a freshman next school year. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
91Buckeye
Varsity

Post by 91Buckeye »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:What sports will Athens immediately be a factor in possibly winning a TVC Championship next season?

I think their wrestling team is very capable of this.

Return to “Football”