Late breaking news out of Wheelersburg

oldschooler
Waterboy

Post by oldschooler »

I personally think that Coach Ashley would do a great job at any HS, and was a top candidate when Lewis was hired. Ashley could not commit to moving to the Burg community, and doubt that would ever happen given the opportunity. The new coach has to be committed to the community, school, etc, and so does his family.

I say give Coach Woodward a chance, I see him staying at the Burg for a long long time.

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

What other schools has Ashley prevoisly coached?

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

sounds like it is pretty much official on lewis leavin. i wish him only the best of luck in the future.

i personally would like to see hall come back. i also wouldn't mind seein Woodward get the job
Last edited by Mad-Dogg on Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Men of Troy
Waterboy

Post by Men of Troy »

Tobias,

i sense sarcasm with your last post?? do you mean "sellout" your alma mater and hometown?

Men of Troy
Waterboy

Post by Men of Troy »

Tobias,
you haven't declined jobs at your alma mater or moved your family out of your hometown, have you? i bet your kids even go to the same school you did so that they too can be Trojans? therefore, you are not a "sellout"

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

From my stand point, on Rob Woodward!!! I played football with his dad in the early 70's at GA. And I know he has a way to get respect from the players he coaches !!!Thats a good thing. IMO If he would except the job? He would not leave, The Burg high and dry!!! he would be there for the long haul!!!

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

that is nonsense. You have to take care of family first.

Men of Troy
Waterboy

Post by Men of Troy »

delete
Last edited by Men of Troy on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Men of Troy
Waterboy

Post by Men of Troy »

yes and yes
i guess the better question would be, could you do it?

whspirate
Waterboy

Post by whspirate »

Woodward will be an excellent head coach someday. Maybe it will be the head coach at wburg next year and maybe not? Only time will tell. You can not expect to hire someone and ask them to commit for a lifetime. You have to decide if they are the best candidate for the job amongst all that apply. I know that the community will not except a head coach from outside if he does not live here.
Woodward is the only candidate that wburg could hire within. I am sure that they will take many applicants and stack those outside to the only one inside. May the best man win and may the administration make the best decision!
I hope that the administration puts as much time and effort in the hiring process that John Eaton did. I know that it will be one of the most important things to take care of on Matt Miller's agenda. He is the only board member I would trust on the hiring commity.

backdoor54
Riding the Bench

Post by backdoor54 »

Coach Woodward would give wheelersburg football a bright future, hope he is given the chance assuming he wants it. Congratulations to Coach Lewis, being hired to coach State Champs at your alma mater.. doesnt happen to often, who could blame him for taking the job. Hope the administration makes the right call, and makes it quickly so the guys can get to work with leadership, espescially if its someone totally new.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

If my memory serves me right I think Matt Miller coached under Ashley when he was the head coach at ND.

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

Coah Ashley would be a perfect fit for Wheelersburg and would be a long term coach.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

I hope Ashley goes to Wheelersburg. Take that great offense with him...

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

burgbacker wrote:With all do respect to Mr Ashley, I do not think the answer to our situation is an already twice recycled SOC Coach.

I agree 100%.

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

drrabbit wrote: ......He or SHE must demand quality in character as well as performance.

Man !!! THAT would go over big.!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: [/b]

outofbounds
Waterboy

Post by outofbounds »

Does anybody know when the next schoolboard meeting is and if they have put together a hiring committee yet? I would think this would be the first order of business. Then they could get something out as far as advertising the job. They obviously will also have a teacher's position to fill as well. I've kind of made it known who i'm pulling for, but i just hope they get this done fairly quickly and most importantly get it right and hire the best person for the job. As far as committment, nothing in life is forever, so get the guy that gives Wheelersburg the mose chance for success right now and hope he stays for the long haul.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

I want to make a public apology to two men for a hurtful comment I made in an earlier post on this thread. No harm or disrespect was meant in anyway to either gentleman. I have spoken to each man privately, apologized and asked them for forgiveness for my bad use of judgement and attempt to be funny. I was/am wrong and hurtful for what I did and for that I am very sorry. I am ashamed of myself for the hurt I caused two friends. In time, I hope I can repair that damage. Once again, I was wrong and I am sorry.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Bama your a big man.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

From reading on here and JJ's the last couple years it didn't seem alot of the Burg fans agreed with alot of Lewis's descisions. Unless someone really good is found again, I believe Burg fans are really gonna look back in a few years and realize just how good this guy was. I thought he got the best out of his talent and was always flexible to change his system to fit what he had. Most coaches won't do this or don't know enough to do this. This is what you have to do when you have less than 60 kids on a football team. If you don't you won't win every year.

Talent also makes you look good. For instance Larry Hall inherited a great Program. He won. When he took the Ashland job I told several I work with what a good coach they were getting. If I mention his name now they'll say he was Terrible.

Return to “Football”