Notre Dame Football: An Evening With the Coaches 3/29/08

nd_titan85
Waterboy

Notre Dame Football: An Evening With the Coaches 3/29/08

Post by nd_titan85 »

One night only! March 29, 2008 at NDHS. Celebrate the tradition of ND football with Coaches:

Bill Apel (1957-1961)
Ed Miller (1962 - 1971)
Dick Beeler (1972 - 1976)
Charles Burgbacher (1977 - 1982)
Randy Martin (1983 - 1988)
Bob Shaffer (1989 - 1990)
Butch Miller (1991)
Randy Churilla (1992 - 1996)
Bob Ashley (1997 - 2001)

Special Guest: Chucky Ealey (http://www.inductchuck.com)

Dinner provided by Scioto Ribber. Hosted by Jim "Snuffy" Smith of WNXT.

For tickets and additional information, contact ND athletic director Kyle McKnight at 740.353.0719.
Last edited by nd_titan85 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

titan6_wife
Waterboy

Post by titan6_wife »

This sounds AMAZING!!! My husband is totally stoked about the entire event!!!

How soon do we need to buy tickets? I'm guessing you need to get an accurate count for food. Don't want to run short on those famous Ribber ribs!!!

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

Here is the article from the Portsmouth Times. I promised Kyle I would put this on and it totally slipped my mind.

ND to honor Ealey, past
By JOHN STEGEMAN
Published:
Friday, February 15, 2008 11:09 PM CST
PDT Sports Writer

Every high school in the area has its own rich heritage and tradition and Notre Dame is no exception.

The Titan football program has won 18 SOC championships and two state championships thanks to the efforts of a myriad of players, administrators and coaches over the years.

On March 8, Notre Dame will say thanks and give the community a chance to be a part of history.

Notre Dame alum and former University of Toledo quarterback Chuck Ealey will join 10 Titan head coaches, from 1957 up to current head coach Kyle McKnight, at "An Evening with the Coaches" at Notre Dame High School.

Ealey is perhaps Notre Dame's most distinguished graduate. He led the Titans to a 30-0 record in his years at the school and a 1967 state championship before going on to play at Toledo where he won 35 straight games, an NCAA record that remains unbroken.

Joining Ealey at the event will be his old coach Ed Miller. The former coach of Notre Dame and Wheelersburg has three state championships under his belt. Also attending will be Bill Apel, Dick Beeler, Charles Burgbacher, Randy Martin, Bob Shaffer, Butch Miller, randy Churilla and Bob Ashley. WNXT's Jim "Snuffy" Smith will be master of ceremonies.

There will be several events surrounding the evening, including an event at the Knights of Columbus hall, a press conference pushing for Ealey's induction into the College Football Hall of Fame and a book signing and autograph session at Buffalo Wild Wings.

"We're just excited that all the coaches are coming back," McKnight said. "We're excited that Chuck Ealey is coming back and is going to do the book signing at Buffalo Wild Wings and do an autograph session."

The book, "Choice of Colours: The Pioneering African-American Quarterbacks Who Changed the Face of Football," was written by John Danakas and features Ealey on the cover.

The autograph signing will be from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. and copies of the book will be available for $10. There will be a social hour at the school's gym from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. before dinner is served.

Dinner will be provided by The Ribber and local sports memorabilia collector Jon Carpenter will have a display at the event.

"It's just going to be a great thing," said McKnight. "It's going to be all about Notre Dame football. We'll show some highlights and different things. There are a lot of people calling from all parts of the country wanting to come. We just want to get the word out locally. Get your tickets as soon as you can because there's a limited number of people we can fit in this gym.

"Besides winning the state championships, this is probably going to be one of the greatest nights Notre Dame football can have," he added.

For more information or questions about the event call McKnight at 353-4225. Tickets to the event cost $45 and can be purchased by calling the high school at 353-0719 or by calling McKnight.

For more information about Ealey, visit http://www.inductchuck.com.

JOHN STEGEMAN can be reached at jstegeman02@hotmail.com

nd_titan85
Waterboy

Post by nd_titan85 »

Tickets need to be ordered/purchased AS SOON AS POSSIBLE in order to get an accurate count for food. (Yeah titan wife, we don't want anyone missin' out on Ribber ribs!)

Call Notre Dame High School to order your tickets, today!!!

nd_titan85
Waterboy

Re: Notre Dame Football: An Evening With the Coaches 3/8/08

Post by nd_titan85 »

Thanks for the post OSUBulldogg!

Correct. Mr. Riley will not be at the dinner. His dedication and contribution will always be a part of our rich history.

At this event, we are serving alcohol. It is very important not to risk losing our liquor license by attempting to serve at the same time as under-aged kids MAY be around. It is the safest thing to do. Just imagine ND without a liquor license?!

It has been a wonderful and unexpected surprise to have an overwhelming request from those who are not yet 21 want to meet with the coaches.

Those fans under 21 years of age may meet the coaches at Buffalo Wild Wings on Saturday March 8th from 11-1. Chuck Ealey will be there signing autographs of the new book, “Choice of Colours:The Pioneering Africian-American Quarterbacks Who Changed the Face of Football” written by John Danakas and features Ealey on the cover.

Thanks to Estep Sporting Goods, we are having t-shirts made that will include ALL of the coaches. The list includes Mr. Riley, the two coaches who started the program, and current head coach Kyle McKnight.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

That's really neat. Alot of schools should do this. Snuffy will be a great host. He's a trip and great for southern ohio football.

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

sounds like a great evening.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

Darby is a great man... do people even have an idea what this did to him and his family? Luckily he landed on his feet and was part of a state championship on '07... it's a shame that more people didn't stand up for him...

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

A rich tradition, but none of the coaches stayed longer then 4-5 years with the exception of Ed Miller. Why?

titan6_wife
Waterboy

Post by titan6_wife »

hi regulator. i've been trying to decide if there is a negative inference of some kind in your question, so i feel compelled to offer my opinion...

each year, notre dame has a small, yet dedicated and hard-working group of young men playing football. as a supporter of the team, i realized many years ago that while we are "small but mighty", we (notre dame) are often a stepping-stone for coaches as they move on to continued success at other schools. i am grateful to the men who have guided our boys in the past, and i wish them nothing but the best as they move on. i'm certain that the administrators and athletic foundation at notre dame feel the same way ~ or there would be no "Evening With the Coaches" honoring them.

nd_titan85
Waterboy

Post by nd_titan85 »

Tonight's event has been tentatively rescheduled for March 29! For additional updates visit http://www.nddev.com.

Obviously, the safety of all who were traveling to attend was our first priority in postponing the dinner. For those still interested in attending, some tickets are available. Please call the Notre Dame office at 740.353.4255 for more information.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Regulator wrote:A rich tradition, but none of the coaches stayed longer then 4-5 years with the exception of Ed Miller. Why?

It might have something to do with the poor retirement plan that cath schools have compared to public schools.

nd_titan85
Waterboy

Re: Notre Dame Football: An Evening With the Coaches 3/29/08

Post by nd_titan85 »

Sports

Fans, alumni attend special gathering

Josh Hickle/Daily Times Jim Smith, at the podium, emcees Notre Dame's Evening with the Coaches in the Notre Dame gymnasium on Saturday.
By JOSH HICKLE
Published:
Saturday, March 29, 2008 11:10 PM CDT
PDT Sports Writer

Tradition is a part of every high school football program.

It is arguable that nowhere is that more true than at Notre Dame High School. That tradition was on display Saturday night, as the school hosted an Evening with the Coaches, honoring the many coaches that have headed up the program in the past.

Among the coaches in attendance were Bill Apel, Ed Miller, Charlie Burbacher, Randy Martin, Bob Ashley and current coach Kyle McKnight. That marriage of the past with the present followed McKnight's philosophy.

"When I came here, I just wanted to get it back," said McKnight. "This is the richest tradition in Ohio, I feel, for Division VI. This school has done so much, including Chuck Ealey, and I felt that we could do this and I felt like we needed to get everybody back together, we need to reenergize and we put this program together because I felt like we needed to salute our coaches that have been here before us.

"And, we want to thank Chuck Ealey for what he has done, not just as an athlete, but as a human being," added McKnight.

Honored throughout the day for his contributions to both high school and college football, Ealey received the biggest award of the evening.

The undefeated quarterback, both at Notre Dame and the University of Toledo, had his No. 11 retired. The honor adds to his list of accomplishments which includes a 53-0 record spanning high school and college and CFL Most Outstanding Rookie and Grey Cup MVP awards.

The retirement came as a shock to Ealey, who choked back tears at the podium after the unveiling.

"It was very much a surprise," said Ealey. "It is a great big honor. Obviously, any time any of those things happen to you, for what you did just playing and enjoying the game, and for the things that have taken place in my life, it is a great big honor."

In addition to the festivities, Saturday's event gave backers and coaches of the Titans' program a chance to reminisce. Coach Ashley, who was at the helm from 1997 to 2001, said he was humbled that he was asked to attend.

"I was just so blessed to work with a lot of tremendously great people - the administration and the coaches," said Ashley, who directed the team to its last 10-0 season in 2000. "It is just a great thing, and to be a part of the fraternity of coaches that have came from this area is quite an honor. I feel very fortunate."

Undefeated regular seasons, and even a few state championships, marked the gathering of coaches. Randy Martin, the Titans' coach from 1983 to 1988, coached teams that kept teams scoreless over 16 straight regular season contests.

"The thing that was special about those kids, and what I think is special about this institution, is there was a real family and commitment to what we were doing," said Martin. "It is nice to see these people come out and support the school and show the commitment again. That is what makes any sports franchise successful - everybody does their part."

Most of that success came from the foundation laid by coaches Apel and Miller. During Miller's tenure from 1962 to 1971, Notre Dame went 72-6-2 and won the 1967 and 1970 state championships. Miller was pleased to see the turnout on Saturday, with many former players in attendance.

"It is great to see all my former players and the fans," he said. "I don't get to see them very often, but this is a nice event just to get those people back in town and visit with them. The stories they tell, they get better every year."

In addition to the coaches and players in attendance, OHSAA Commissioner Dan Ross was present at the event. The festivities were special to Ross, who noted he was aware of only one other event like Saturday's since he became commissioner nearly five years ago, and that was in basketball.

"It makes feel really good about what high school sports is all about," he said. "High school sports isn't necessarily all about winning, although the couple of state championship banners on the wall certainly helps. It is creating great memories and it is creating the life lessons that are going to help people be successful."

JOSH HICKLE can be reached at (740) 353-3101, ext. 241.

Copyright © 2008 - Portsmouth Daily Times

Return to “Football”