The influence on hiring decisions made by chatrooms/internet

Syntax
Riding the Bench

The influence on hiring decisions made by chatrooms/internet

Post by Syntax »

Do chat rooms help influence who is hired for coaching positions?

- Some will say "Of course not. Anybody utilizing a chat room to help make a hiring decision should not be in a position to hire anyone."

Others will say "You can't ignore these chat rooms. Of course they are going to have some kind of effect."

The emergence of open-sourcing as a method of providing information has birthed converstaions such as these. I call it the "Wikipedia-effect." For those of you that don't know, Wikipedia is an open-sourced, online encyclopedia where anyone can submit an article on practicly anything. Although it is policed somewhat, there are obviously portions that remain on the site - some indefinately - that include intentional or unintentional false information.

But many treat these sites as the gospel. My questions is: are sites like SEOPS regarded in the same light by those that hire new coaches? Do some use it as a supplemental source of information to make decisions, even though there are obvious instances where posters have agendas?

What say you, SEOPS Nation?

Syntax
Riding the Bench

Post by Syntax »

And just so you know, the title of this thread would have been better worded as "Chat rooms/internet influence on hiring decisions." The original title sounds weird, like the chat rooms are making the hiring decisions. My bad.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

All I can say is if it does have an influence, we are all in sad shape.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

I doubt there is any influence at all. We can always have our own opinions but, in the end, it's always up to the big cheese.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Might actually hurt the person some :(

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

You better take anything you've read on here with a grain of salt. Sea salt for that matter.

I know I've gotten bored with internet sports sites recently. I'd like to see this one add a few more colors and brighten it up a little bit. It'd getting a tad stale.

Anyway, I hope whoever reads this gets the job of their dreams before they croak - and get to retire before they're too old to enjoy their golden years.

black76
JV Team

Post by black76 »

A public forum such as this can be very hazardous to folks....there are no rules to keep someone from completely fabricating things.Reading something you know to be false and yet it is right there for everyone to read is strange. It is as if the whole world is now a tabloid magazine and anything said is fair game. That is largely the reason I joined initially, to police the things I knew to be lies on here! As a former coach, I cannot imagine this kind of forum in my day. Not convinced that it affects hiring, surely those administrators are bright enough not to venture on this kind of playground. :lol:
Last edited by black76 on Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

I would think this site and sites like this are just forums for fans to vent. If any AD or administrator that takes a site like this for vision and direction, then they need to seriously consider why they hold their position and either took the job or ran for election in the first place.

Secondly, I think that any fan who seriously considers that this kind of site does or should sway hirings really needs a reality check. This board is a loose collection of fans that are just that, fans and nothing else more serious or important than just a fan.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Truth of the matter sites like this show how little alot of people realy know about athletics in general. Is good for a good laugh and every now and then you might, if lucky pick up something of value, but not very often. Stuff on here would not help someone get a coach job but at times it could actually hurt.

Now for this little information. Stuff that shows up on sites like this can and have caused problems for teams and coaches!

briandixon
Waterboy

Post by briandixon »

I dont think it would effect coaches getting hired or fired....but I would think that anyone talking down on players and coaches could cause moral issues for the ones that pop on as a visitor to find out what fans have to say about them...thats why the fans should be careful what they say and stop putting players and coaches down...I am sure everyone and I know I have and I will appoligize now for it have put coaches and players down I have only attacked one coach because i felt sorry for the school...They just cant seem to get rolling...Any way thats what I have for this!

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

This and other websites like it are places for fans to get together and talk about their teams. If administration and schoolboards use it as a tool for hiring or firing their coaches then that would be riduculous.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Kids, parents, coaches and yes administrators do read this stuff and it has caused problems places at times. Now you can either put your head in the sand and say whatever you want but that is the truth.

Doc Panther
JV Team

Post by Doc Panther »

I'm not sure how much infleunce they have.....but I can tell you for sure at the high school and college levels that some coaches read them and get pi$$ed off by them.

Fame is a vapor.....popularity an accident and riches take wing.

The only thing that endures is your character.
Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Doc Panther wrote:I'm not sure how much infleunce they have.....but I can tell you for sure at the high school and college levels that some coaches read them and get pi$$ed off by them.

Thats funny. I can see Jim Tressel reading SEOPs getting mad at what someone writes. Really though why would a coach spend his time on here reading about himself. It seems to me a coach would have more important things to do like preparing his team for games, practice, and others more important things.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Re: The influence on hiring decisions made by chatrooms/internet

Post by Howard Cosell »

Syntax wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:55 pm Do chat rooms help influence who is hired for coaching positions?

- Some will say "Of course not. Anybody utilizing a chat room to help make a hiring decision should not be in a position to hire anyone."

Others will say "You can't ignore these chat rooms. Of course they are going to have some kind of effect."

The emergence of open-sourcing as a method of providing information has birthed converstaions such as these. I call it the "Wikipedia-effect." For those of you that don't know, Wikipedia is an open-sourced, online encyclopedia where anyone can submit an article on practicly anything. Although it is policed somewhat, there are obviously portions that remain on the site - some indefinately - that include intentional or unintentional false information.

But many treat these sites as the gospel. My questions is: are sites like SEOPS regarded in the same light by those that hire new coaches? Do some use it as a supplemental source of information to make decisions, even though there are obvious instances where posters have agendas?

What say you, SEOPS Nation?
Well his room is mostly crowded with idiots. Parents and disgruntled “fans” live for this site. As long as Paladin, blizzardbag, and even a few of the mods spew athletic nonsense on here I don’t see how anyone could take it seriously

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

I once knew a coach who fired assistant coaches for allegedly posting on this site. But he snapped and got himself fired a few years ago, so it seems he may not have been of sound mind. I also know some coaches post on here or have others post to get things stirred up a bit. But never heard of anyone getting hired because of it. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Should have no influence on hiring/firing decisions at any level from the powers that be. If any true professionals let a rant, rave, opinion or idea affect a job decision of a coach in a sometimes thankless supplemental paying position that doesn't even begin to pay the bills @ the high school level unless you have a teaching, administrative or other outside job to go with it, then the selector has a problem. In the College and Pro level jobs this is a moot point and they could care less unless it starts affecting the mighty dollar (i.e. Greg Schiano to U. of Tennessee last year until big money donors and season ticket holders pressured them and tweeted, facebooked, called, etc. and said unh unh).
Last edited by FANOSPORTS on Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I have seen some well known coaches on this site. They peek. Not sure if they influence.

hannancoach
JV Team

Post by hannancoach »

The skewl Marm here at hannan watches this thang like a hulk. We hopes to drag Paladin out of retirement. Figure he could get us going in the new SEOAL.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:41 pm I have seen some well known coaches on this site. They peek. Not sure if they influence.
You are correct, one thing I've seen is that they'll peak at the upcoming opponent. Take a look at a thread and find out that a certain player is out for the game or for x amount of games. They'll use that go back and look at film to see where a certain player may have gotten hurt. As far as hiring, it's very doubtful at least in terms of assistants because typically it's just the head coaches that are mentioned on here. So at that point one would be talking school administrators looking around on sites to gain information on a coaching candidate.

Return to “Football”