James Vennari passes away

sportfolio
JV Team

James Vennari passes away

Post by sportfolio »

Southeastern Ohio lost a true sports legend when longtime Rutland High School coach and former Cincinnati Reds scout passed away last Saturday. He had turned 100 last October and had been in a rest home in recent years.
He is survived by his wife of 39 years, Martha.

He began his coaching and teaching career at Rutland in Meigs County in 1947 after serving during World War II and was a multiple coach at Rutland for 15 years. He was a baseball scout for the Pirates and later for the Cincinnati Reds. A park in Rutland was dedicated in his honor in 1994.

A funeral is planned for Thursday at 10 a.m.at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Pomeroy with burial in Riverview Cemetery.

Memorial contributions are being suggested to Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 161 Mulberry Ave., Pomeroy, OH 45769; or The Jim Vennari Park, P.O. Box 151, Middleport, OH 45760.

JoeGatto
JV Team

Re: James Vennari passes away

Post by JoeGatto »

I remember when I was a freshman at Meigs High School (1990-91), Mr. Vennari brought his 1990 Cincinnati Reds World Series ring to baseball practice and showed it off. It was something he didn't have to do but he did it because he loved kids and he loved baseball. We were all in awe!

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Re: James Vennari passes away

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Had the privalige of meeting the man in 1992 when I had a couple of baseball players that he liked. He was a true legend.

Return to “Football”