2008 Wheelersburg Pirates Football

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

2008 Wheelersburg Pirates Football

Post by Mad-Dogg »

with the pirates hoops season over it's now time to talked about football. new coach 2 new teams on the schedule with rock hill and greenup co ky. let's get some thoughts on the 2008 season

Week 1 - Ironton (home)
Week 2 - South Point (away)
Week 3 - Portsmouth (home)
Week 4 - Rock Hill (home)
Week 5 - Greenup Co (away)
Week 6 - Valley (away)
Week 7 - Minford (home)
Week 8 - Northwest (home)
Week 9 - Waverly (away)
Week 10 - West (away)

BULDOG
All Conference

Re: 2008 Wheelersburg Pirates Football

Post by BULDOG »

What about baseball? Are we not playing baseball this spring? Burg probably has the best talent in years and should do well this season coming off a 23-4 2007 season and losing only 1 senior. C'mon Dog come up this spring and watch the Pirate baseball team. :122245

Previous discussion on this topic here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38416

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Looks like a pretty tough schedule. I think it is to early to tell how they will do. They should be pretty good though.

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

A competetive schedule and easier than last year. Rock Hill and Greenup are not St Clairsville and Johnson Central. But, I think playing Rock Hill and Greenup makes a lot of sense.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Rock Hill could be a good game but, I would say that they will roll over Greenup County.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I believe Greenup would be classified as a D1 in ohio so if they can 2-3 games the burg could still get a few computer points with a win.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

the burgs website has the greenup- burg series at 9-5-1 burg advatage.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

Wheelersburg should be playing Johnson Central and St. Clairsville :mad: Schools from up north always look down upon southern schools like Wheelersburg saying we're overated and we only have a good record because of the poor schedule we are playing...well, we finally got a chance to prove ourselves against a great pair of schools, one of which is comparable to a D-1 in Ohio. So what we lost both of them! We gave Johnson Central the hardest hitting game they have played all year and the best one at that. As the saying goes "You're only good as the teams you play"

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

D-2 D-1 same difference ;-)

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I don't know for sure but greenup jumped from a 3 in 2006 to a 2 in 2007. Since an ohio school did not beat JC last yr I guess they didn't classify them but they could have been a D1.

the lone ranger
Riding the Bench

Post by the lone ranger »

With their schedule WB shouldn't go any worse than 8-2 they should be very good next year

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

BULDOG wrote:What about baseball? Are we not playing baseball this spring? Burg probably has the best talent in years and should do well this season coming off a 23-4 2007 season and losing only 1 senior. C'mon Dog come up this spring and watch the Pirate baseball team. :122245

Previous discussion on this topic here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38416

don't worry i plan on watchin some baseball

burgtown2008
Riding the Bench

Post by burgtown2008 »

Just because the burg is the burg doesn't mean they should be playing the likes of Johnson cent or St Clairsville every year. Last year the burg had about 35 players dress for the varsity, Huff and puff all you want, it is very hard to compete with these much larger schools. The burg did real well against these schools but the odds are against them, like Youngtown St against Ohio State, You take a chance of getting some of your players hurt and cost you a league championship. I say stick within your size, play good ball and let the playoff fall as they may. If in a given year you are loaded that will be your year to mount a good playoff run.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Dogg, its baseball, softball and track season! :mad: Several Pirate players have already signed scholarships in other sports and I look for several more to sign during baseball season.

As for next season, I look for Wheelersburg to be competitive once again.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

alabama mike wrote:Dogg, its baseball, softball and track season! :mad: Several Pirate players have already signed scholarships in other sports and I look for several more to sign during baseball season.

As for next season, I look for Wheelersburg to be competitive once again.

Dogg the track team went to state in the 4by2 with all four guys returning :roll:

burgboy
Freshman Team

Post by burgboy »

Is burg going to have a kicker this next season with stamper gone

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

burgtown2008 wrote:...You take a chance of getting some of your players hurt and cost you a league championship. I say stick within your size, play good ball and let the playoff fall as they may. If in a given year you are loaded that will be your year to mount a good playoff run.

Please :roll: ...every time you step on the field you "take a chance of getting some of your players hurt". This is football we are talkin about...we have pads on. Good lord!..at no time during the past 8 years I have been playing football have I thought that I would get hurt just because Im going against someone bigger, stronger, and faster than me.

Every year is the year to mount a good playoff run, you dont even have to be "loaded". You dont go into the season saying: "well we arent loaded so screw playoffs". You go into every season thinking you are gonna win every game on a game by game basis. The so-called best team doesnt always win.

burgtown2008
Riding the Bench

Post by burgtown2008 »

Reipo man, I think you played to many plays without your helmet

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I don't mind playing a tough schedule but I think you can play too tough a schedule. I think playing a tough game in week 2 after playing ironton in week 1 is insane. I 'm talking gallia and cabel Mid more than south point although sp has played the burg tough the last 2 seasons. Playing ironton, jc, portsmouth and st cl as your non conference schedule in my oppnion is a little much. From a selfish stand point I really don't like driving more than an hr to watch a nonplayoff game either. I think the schedule they have this yr is about right.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

burgtown2008 wrote:Reipo man, I think you played to many plays without your helmet

No but the position I played does lead to many headaches :lol: I still think worrying about hurting kids is rediculous. This is a contact sport and you always stand the risk of getting hurt whether or not it's a D-1 school or a D-5.

Return to “Football”