SouthBound
Waterboy

Smith Leaves Marshall not a big surprise

Post by SouthBound »

Quarterback Smith leaves Herd
Apr 08, 2008 @ 11:40 PM
By ANTHONY HANSHEW
The Herald-Dispatch
HUNTINGTON -- Quarterback Chris Smith has left Marshall University's football team to deal with an anxiety-related condition, Thundering Herd head coach Mark Snyder said Tuesday.

"It was a family decision," Snyder said following Tuesday's practice. "He has severe anxiety disorder. And he's had it now for about eight months and it's worse and worse each week it seems like."

Smith's family allowed the circumstance of the Smith's departure to be made public, Snyder said.

Smith, a 6-foot-1, 220-pound redshirt freshman, signed with the Thundering Herd from South Point High School. He was Ohio's No. 2 rated quarterback prospect as a senior.

After redshirting in 2007, Smith was locked in a five-way race for this season's starting spot but missed three of the opening four spring practices. Smith remains enrolled at Marshall and on scholarship.

"He's going to step away from football and we're going to try to get this under control," Snyder said.

Docw
Riding the Bench

Re: Smith Leaves Marshall not a big surprise

Post by Docw »

So, you knew he was ill?

lhsfan97
Freshman Team

Post by lhsfan97 »

I wish this young man and his family the best. hopefully he gets better and back out onto the field. He has a great talent

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

I hope the best for this young man. Just being able to come out and admit to the public about the issues he is having tells me a great deal about him. GOOD LUCK

IronTigerMum
Varsity

Post by IronTigerMum »

Good luck Chris, we sure hope all goes well for you!

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

He'll be ok; he's a tough kid!

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

South Bound you wouldn't be jealous would you? I notice that you post about Beau Weed a lot. I surely hope that you are not him or his family because without Chris to throw the ball to Beau (he/you, your friend or family member) would not have been noticed by WVW.

Chris is a very smart young man and it took such courage to admit he has a problem. He is a class act and was very good to my son and all the younger athletes at SP who really look up to him. Good Luck to him and maybe he will get back into football in the near future, maybe at Marshall or somewhere else. He will make it through this and I am sure get a degree and have a great paying job one day.

Good Luck Chris and hang in there!

SouthBound
Waterboy

Post by SouthBound »

Actually the no big surprise was not a smart a@@ reply. I meant it because he has not played. Ifigure with his talent he would go somewhere that they would put him on the field. So pull in your horns. Weed went to WVW on his own. Defense actually. That had nothing to do with Smith

wrcoach02
Riding the Bench

Post by wrcoach02 »

Take care of yourself Chris and the rest will come.. He is a great kid and athlete and would will make a great coach one of these days. Good luck

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

I hated to hear this, I played against him some and always thought he had the talent to do very well at the next level. Was this stress-related at all? I would say that a battle for the top QB position at a D-I program would be nerve wracking to say the least. Hopefully he can get past this and come back.

dragoncoach56
JV Team

Post by dragoncoach56 »

Good luck to this young man and I hope that when he overcomes this he can play the sport he loves again. Prayers for him and his family.
Clayton Dement

bballrh
Waterboy

Post by bballrh »

I just have to say wow. What a strong young man! To have the guts to put it all out there,maybe to benefit someone else, is awesome. Hope this young man gets everything he wants in life on the field and off. Good luck. He is very talented but if he does not come back he will still be a sucess.

Return to “Football”