East football 2008

Tartanblue
SEO

East football 2008

Post by Tartanblue »

How good will this Tartan team be? They return quite a bit of talent from last year along with three all-state players. On offense they need to fill 2 skill spots at QB and RB for Bailey and Bradford along with the FB and two linemen. I could see this team going 8-2 to 10-0 and another possible home playoff game.

TrojanXplosion
S

Re: East football 2008

Post by TrojanXplosion »

I would say that East will have another decent team. I'd say that 8-2 is very likely. Always felt a special connection with East because I have several relations that have graduated from East in the past. Good luck to East on the upcoming season.

battlecats
JV Team

Post by battlecats »

I actually think East will be better than last year. Those younger guys got alot of experiance last year like the Garret boys and the kid who filled in for Bradford as well as most of the core players returning. I have heard the kid that came from Missouri is a great athlete and will contribute asd well. They only game I see them possible losing (barring major injuries) is Oak Hill and you never know about Symmes Valley.
They got Manchester and Southeastern instead of Hunt. Ross and Unioto which I think are mistakes but should be able to get the win in both games. Im gonna say 9-1 or 10-0.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

I have said all along that I do not agree with the adding of Manchester and Southeastern for Unioto and Huntington Ross. I think having Unioto and Huntington on the schedule helped last year and honestly I do not see Manchester or Southeastern helping East get ready for playoffs when they make it this season.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

how did Unioto help when they went 0-10

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

If Unioto would have given the head coaching job to Bumgarnder they would of had a better record.................... As for east I think adding Davis to the coaching staff will improve the way they aproach the game. He brings success and winning with him, he was probably one of the top fullbacks to play at Wheelersburg and as a linebacker he could stop a train. This could only help the team. plus they where pretty good last year.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

When East added Unioto to there schedule they were playing better than 0 and 10.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

That may be true but they will not win for a while. Better to find someone that can at least give them some points if they win. Burg grad you know it.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

burggrad82 wrote:As for east I think adding Davis to the coaching staff will improve the way they aproach the game. He brings success and winning with him, he was probably one of the top fullbacks to play at Wheelersburg and as a linebacker he could stop a train. This could only help the team. plus they where pretty good last year.

If you are referring to Coach Darryl Davis, he graduated from East. If you want a "real" linebacker, Darryl is your guy. He has always had kids at East that hit like trucks.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

RogueWarrior1965 I'm talking about Lance Davis He's the head baseball coach at east this year and is going to help with the football team he was a real linebacker to.
bengalfan your the man....

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

You would get a great argument up here :roll:

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

WELL EVERYBODY IN THE CHILLY AREA WOULD SIDE WITH ME AND YOU KNOW IT.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

burggrad82 wrote:RogueWarrior1965 I'm talking about Lance Davis He's the head baseball coach at east this year and is going to help with the football team he was a real linebacker to.

Never heard of him, but he can learn from the master. He (Darryl) knows defense inside and out.

ddavis
Waterboy

Post by ddavis »

Lance Davis is a quality individual and is an excellent addition to East as a baseball coach and hopefully as a football coach. He has quality character and is a great role model for the East young men. I think it's unfair to compare players of different eras. There have been many outstanding linebackers in the SOC and any other conference over the past 35 years. I'll tell you this. Every outstanding linebacker thinks to himself that he's the best player on the field every time he goes out. I played against Ed Thompson, who later starred at Ohio State, when I was in high school. When I played against Ed I thought I was the best player on the field. Ed's accomplishments prove that wasn't true but I thought it and that stepped up my game. I'm sure Lance thought the same way when he played.

Everyone has a right to an opinion but I'm going to address some of the comments made about scheduling. First, Southeastern beat Unioto last year and if they lost to Huntington it was a very close game. One or two points one way or the other. People in the SVC are predicting Southeastern to be an improved team this year. Manchester has been trying to join our league. Most of the SOC ! schools have scheduled them so it will be an easy transition if they do get in. The same was done for South Gallia. In small high school football you need to have some teams to compete with if you have a talent drought that most small schools eventually have. In the day of open enrollment a couple of 0-10 seasons could destroy your program. It's too easy for kids to take off to greener pastures. The other thing that's said often is to do this or that in the playoffs you have to schedule up. It was 13 years for us between playoff appearances. Why would an athletic director upgrade the schedule because of one year. If East ever gets to the point that they're making the playoffs every year I'm sure they'll adjust their schedule, if needed.

7-3 or better is a realistic goal for East. Last year Oak Hill, Symmes Valley, Notre Dame and East all were picked to win the conference at one time or another. Telling everyone your great doesn't win games. Out working and out preparing your opponents does. The team that does the best job of this will win the league.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

It may have been 13 years in between playoff games, but once they get a taste of the playoffs the kids returning will want to get back there and improve on that. I am sure next years seniors will want to get back to the playoffs and the classes after that will also now that they know what it feels like to play in week 11, winning and getting to the playoffs are like a snow ball rolling down a hill it starts out small like a 5-5 season and slowing gets bigger as it rolles down the hill and once a program has been built in which IMO is almost done at East the more players and athletes you get to come out for the team and get kids transfering in to play for you to get to the playoffs.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

There was no intent to compare any players of any era, so hopefully it did not come across that way. I was just making a statement in regards to learning the game from experienced people who were true to their position. I certainly was not degrading or downplaying anyone's success or abilities. I wish Lance Davis much success at East. I am an alumni of East, so I want nothing but the best for the school and its academic and athletic success.

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

Post by The_Sports_Junky »

ddavis wrote:Lance Davis is a quality individual and is an excellent addition to East as a baseball coach and hopefully as a football coach. He has quality character and is a great role model for the East young men. I think it's unfair to compare players of different eras. There have been many outstanding linebackers in the SOC and any other conference over the past 35 years. I'll tell you this. Every outstanding linebacker thinks to himself that he's the best player on the field every time he goes out. I played against Ed Thompson, who later starred at Ohio State, when I was in high school. When I played against Ed I thought I was the best player on the field. Ed's accomplishments prove that wasn't true but I thought it and that stepped up my game. I'm sure Lance thought the same way when he played.

Everyone has a right to an opinion but I'm going to address some of the comments made about scheduling. First, Southeastern beat Unioto last year and if they lost to Huntington it was a very close game. One or two points one way or the other. People in the SVC are predicting Southeastern to be an improved team this year. Manchester has been trying to join our league. Most of the SOC ! schools have scheduled them so it will be an easy transition if they do get in. The same was done for South Gallia. In small high school football you need to have some teams to compete with if you have a talent drought that most small schools eventually have. In the day of open enrollment a couple of 0-10 seasons could destroy your program. It's too easy for kids to take off to greener pastures. The other thing that's said often is to do this or that in the playoffs you have to schedule up. It was 13 years for us between playoff appearances. Why would an athletic director upgrade the schedule because of one year. If East ever gets to the point that they're making the playoffs every year I'm sure they'll adjust their schedule, if needed.

7-3 or better is a realistic goal for East. Last year Oak Hill, Symmes Valley, Notre Dame and East all were picked to win the conference at one time or another. Telling everyone your great doesn't win games. Out working and out preparing your opponents does. The team that does the best job of this will win the league.
1)I agree with everything but the 7-3. I'd say 9-1. I don't think you should plan for the playoffs untill you make them. What happened to week by week. I think you look to far ahead and you lose games you should not lose. Would you agree?

2) Are you coming back for the 2008 season :?:

ddavis
Waterboy

Post by ddavis »

I probably didn't state what I wanted to say well. I wanted to speak up for Lance before some idiot took a shot at him. I have learned that no one is safe from ignorance. Rogue Warrior is as fine a man as you could meet so I had no intention to debate with him. He was defending me and I Lance. I will not be returning to coach at East. I feel so bad for the boys. They didn't deserve this but for me to coach for this administration and board has become impossible. I have mixed support from the board and the administration wants me gone. Some of my coaching friends have told me that someone is lined up to take my place. He's a neighbor to the East administrative leader so that makes sense. As far as perspective records I didn't want to put excessive pressure on the next coach.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Amazing!lol

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

When will the next coach be named for East?

Return to “Football”