An Early Look at the SEOAL: The 2008 Portsmouth Trojans

loganlocos
SEOP

An Early Look at the SEOAL: The 2008 Portsmouth Trojans

Post by loganlocos »

Portsmouth Trojans

Head Coach: Curtis Clifford (20th Season, 124-79 overall)
2007 Record: 8-3 (5-2); DIV Playoff Qualifier
Division: IV, Reg. 15
Returning Starters: 9 (4 OFF, 5 DEF)
Key Losses: Wes Jordan (RB/LB), Gavin Dillow (TE/LB), Shane Porter (QB/DB), Cory Reeves (WR), John Harcha (DB), Matt Chandler (TE/DE), Chase Scott (DT), Wes Workman (LB), Howard Harcha (C), Chase Berry (OG/DT), Ray Caldwell (OT), Bo Cook (OL/DL), Drew Robbins (OL/DL)
Key Returnees: Forrest Johnson (WR), London Malone (DB), Malik White (WR), Chaze Southern (RB/LB), Storm Bratchett (WR/DB), Aaron Montgomery (LB), Andrew Bendolph (DB), Jason James (LB), John Prior (OT), Nate Cadogan (TE/DE)

2008 Schedule:
Aug. 22 - VS South Point
Aug. 29 - AT Portsmouth West
Sept. 5 - AT Wheelersburg
Sept. 12 - AT Jackson *
Sept. 19 - VS Chillicothe *
Sept. 26 - AT Gallia Academy *
Oct. 3 - VS Warren *
Oct. 10 - VS Ironton *
Oct. 17 - AT Marietta *
Oct. 24 - VS Western Brown

Projected Line-Up:
Offense
QB - Josh Myers - 6'0 - 175lbs - Soph
RB - Chaze Southern - 5'9 - 200lbs - SR
RB - Angelo Jackson - 5'8 - 185lbs - Soph
WR - Malik White - 5'11 - 175lbs - SR
WR - Forrest Johnson - 5'11 - 170lbs - JR

WR - David Mallory - 5'10 - 180lb - SR
TE - Nate Cadogan - 6'7 - 260lbs - SR
OT - John Prior - 6'6 - 270lbs - SR
OG - Brennan Howard - 5'10 - 260lbs - Soph
C - Taylor Brown - 6'2 - 225lbs - Soph
OG - Aaron Crumm - 5'8 - 220lbs - JR
OT - Casey Sanders - 6'3 - 240lbs - Soph
Other Offensive Players:
WR/RB - Jon Royster - 5'10 - 155lbs - Soph
WR/RB - Patrick Underwood - 6'2 - 160lbs - JR
RB - Jalen Kennedy - 5'10 - 180lbs - JR
WR - Storm Bratchett - 5'10 - 165lbs - SR
OL - Jordan James - 5'10 - 200lbs - JR
OL - David Porter - 6'0 - 320lbs - SR

Defense
DE - Nate Cadogan - 6'7 - 260lbs - SR
DT - David Porter - 6'0 - 320lbs - SR
DT - Jordan James - 5'10 - 205lbs - JR
DE - Jarrit Underwood - 6'6 - 200lbs - SR
OLB - Jason James - 6'0 - 200lbs - JR
ILB - Aaron Montgomery - 5'10 - 210lbs - SR
ILB - Chaze Southern - 5'9 - 200lbs - SR
OLB - Jalen Kennedy - 5'10 - 180lbs - JR
CB - Andrew Bendolph - 5'10 - 150lbs - Soph
CB - Storm Bratchett - 5'10 - 165lbs - SR
FS - London Malone - 5'10 - 150lbs - JR
Other Defensive Players:
LB - Ryan Jordan - 6'0 - 175lbs - SR
DB - Jon Royster - 5'10 - 155lbs - Soph
DB - Patrick Underwood - 6'2 - 160lbs - JR
LB - David Mallory - 5'10 - 180lbs - SR
LB - Aaron Crumm - 5'8 - 220lbs - JR
DL - Taylor Brown - 6'2 - 225lbs - Soph
DL - Casey Sanders - 6'3 - 240lbs - Soph
DL - John Prior - 6'6 - 270lbs - SR

2008 Outlook:
After 8 wins and a playoff appearance in 2007, Portsmouth hopes to rebuild behind a talented sophomore class despite the loss of 13 starters. Coach Curt Cllifford will rely on two D1 prospects in his senior class (TE/DE Nate Cadogan and OT/DTJohn Prior) mixed with a group of talented youngsters and the Trojans have a base of talent to build on that could put them in contention for the SEOAL championship.

Offensively, Portsmouth will be need to replace talented quarterback Shane Porter who rushed for over 800 yards and 8 touchdowns while throwing for 2100 yards and 19 touchdowns in 2007. Replacing Porter will be sophomore Josh Myers (6-0, 175) who saw time on defense last fall.

Myers won't be short on top line talent to catch his passes. Both senio Malik White (5-11, 175) and junior Forrest Johnson (5-11, 170) are returning starters after catching 44 and 35 passes respectively a year ago. White led the team in receptions last fall and was third on the team in receiving yards with 577 while catching 4 touchdown passes. Johnson was second on the team a year ago with 768 receiving yards and second in TD catches wtih 7.

Joining the two returning starters will be senior David Mallory (5-10, 180), sophomore Jon Royster (5-10, 155), junior Patrick Underwood (6-2, 160), and senior Storm Bratchett (5-10, 165).

In the backfield, the Trojans will miss the strong running of Wes Jordan who rumbled for 16 touchdowns while averaging over 4.5 yards per carry. Returning will be senior Chaze Southern (5-9, 200) who is coming off a 2007 season in which he averaged over 8 yards per carry and scored six touchdowns on 59 carries. Sophomore Angelo Jackson (5-8, 185) is the leading candidate to join Southern in the backfield, but Royster, Underwood, and junior Jalen Kennedy (5-10, 180) may see time as well.

Up front, the Trojans return only Prior (6-6, 270) at tackle and will be young up front. Sophomore Casey Sanders (6-3, 240) will bookend with Prior at tackle while classmate Brennan Howard (5-10, 260) and junior Aaron Crumm (5-8, 220) will play guard, and sophomore Taylor Brown (6-2, 225) is a candidate at center. Junior Jordan James (5-10, 200) and senior David Porter (6-0, 320) provide depth up front for the red and white.

Defensively, Portsmouth will look to improve after allowing over 40 points in each of their three losses including 61 and 56 in their two SEOAL losses against Logan and Zanesville. The Trojans return 5 starters on defense but must rebuild up front in their 4-4 defensive front.

Cadogan (6-7, 260) will anchor the Trojan defensive line at end where seniors Jarrit Underwood (6-6, 200), Prior, and Ryan Jordan (6-0, 175) will battle for the other book end.

Porter and Jordan James will get the early nod at the tackle spots with Brown, Sanders, Crumm, and Prior providing depth.

At linebacker, junior Jason James (6-0, 200) and senior Aaron Montgomery (5-10, 210) are returning starters at outside and inside linebacker respectively. Southern saw time at inside linebacker in 2007 and could get the nod to join Montgomery, while Kennedy and Myers will fight for time at outside linebacker. Mallory, Jordan, and Crumm provide depth at linebacker.

In the secondary, the red and blue return sophomre Andrew Bendolph (5-10, 150) at cornerback and junior London Malone (5-10, 155) at safety. Bratchett, Royster, and Underwood will battle to fill the final cornerback spot and provide depth in the backfield.

The Trojans open with non-league games against South Point, West, and Wheelersburg before beginning SEOAL play on September 12. Portsmouth will miss two of the SEOAL North's top teams, Logan and Zanesville allowing their yong Trojans to develop without seeing two of the early league favorites, but they still must travel to Jackson to open league play and host Chillicothe and Ironton in weeks 5 and 8. Portsmouth will also travel to Marietta and Gallia Academy and host Warren. Coach Clifford's team will finish at home with a non-league game against Western Brown.

Hopsing
Riding the Bench

Re: An Early Look at the SEOAL: The 2008 Portsmouth Trojans

Post by Hopsing »

word is a couple of Trojans will be Cavaliers soon....... :122246

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

What's new?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I havent heard that, Who is it?

Army
S

Post by Army »

Hopsing wrote:word is a couple of Trojans will be Cavaliers soon....... :122246

Hopsing,

That's news to us :?:

We haven't heard anything like that here in Chillicothe. That's a long way to transfer, just to play High School Football isn't it :?:

Why not go to Wheelersburg or Ironton who are closer and have well established FB Programs :?: :-D

It would be a whole lot closer than coming to Chillicothe. :-D

That would be an 8 plus school district move north of (Trojan Land) just to play FB :?:

Come on......be for real :?:

Lets see, straight up Rt. 23, you have Portsmouth, Ottway Nortwest, Lucasville Valley, Piketon, Waverly, Chillicothe Huntington-Ross and Chillicothe SE-Ross High School Districts before you even get to the Chillicothe City School District :?:

I'll believe that one, just about as much as seeing Zanesville change their minds to stay in the SEOAL instead of leaving the league. The only way I would believe it, is, if they were also basketball standouts and they were coming here mainly for that purpose but, they also play H.S. football. Or they actually were moving from Portsmouth to Chillicothe.

Keep up the good work.

Got to give it to you Hopsing, it's a (Good Rumor) though. :lol:

chillout
Riding the Bench

Post by chillout »

Nice comment Locos.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Although the Trojans lost alot of talent, I still think that enough talent returns to "reload" instead of "rebuild". I don't know much about the other teams they play but, I think Portsmouth will go around 7-3 and playoffs.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I haven't heard anything about Chillicothe getting a couple players from Portsmouth, so I don't have much say in the matter. If it's true though, it's possible that they aren't transferring at all...maybe their family is just moving.

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

PHS has a super-talented class coming up that has ran over eveyone in their lower level games. Is it the sophomore class?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Portsmouth did lose alot of good talent and from key position players. but they have 2 div 1 recruits coming back on the line and A way better than average sophmore, class coming up. I think they could finish anywhere from 4 and 6, to 7 and 3. It just depends on how fast the young players mature and eliminate the mistakes. One thing for sure Im looking forward to football season starting.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Seen where Nate Cadogan and John Proir are in Ohio High Magazine

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

WITH THAT WEAK SCHEDULE, WATCH OUT FER THE TROJANS, LOVE YA GUYS. :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa63 :aaaaa1

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

^^^^^^^^
Best of luck to the Trojans and not having Zanesville and Logan will be really nice.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I think that with Myers at QB and the other returnees, the Trojans' offense will once again score a lot of points. The main concerns I have are (1) on the defensive side of the ball.......our stop troops have to tighten things up a bit, and (2) the kicking game.....we simply need to do better with PAT's and field goals. A kicking game is essential to having a good season. Without a good kicking game, we could end up losing 2 more games than we should.

Not having Logan or Zanesville on the schedule is a big plus for the Trojans and their playoff hopes. If the defense and kicking game gets better, a winning season and the playoffs are very possible for Portsmouth.

GO TROJANS!!!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Added the '08 outlook.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

^^^^^^^^^^
Some good stuff right there.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Those are nice Videos but after watching them both I want to see a highlight video of Wes Jordan running over people he knocked the snot out of alot of linbeckers this year. I think the hardest one was at West, but I would like to watch him one time.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth doesn't play Zanesville or Logan because that's what the SEOAL wanted when league administrators made out the future schedules. I know that should help the Trojans chances of making the postseason......but I think that Western Brown is a respectable opponent.......a D2 school that I believe qualified for the playoffs a couple of years back.

I STRONGLY want to see every SEOAL team play every SEOAL team; especially after this coming year.......with Zanesville leaving, it will leave the league with 8 teams.....in which the league should mandate everybody play everybody in 2009, which would be 7 league games. That would still leave room for 3 non-conference games.

I love seeing my Portsmouth High School in the SEOAL......but please do away with the divisions. I do know that after Zanesville leaves, the Day of Champions in basketball is history......and everybody will play everybody TWICE.......the way it should be in hoops.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

I agree Dave.

Hopefully that will be the direction the league moves to when it comes time to realign the schedule.

Army
S

Post by Army »

trojandave wrote:Portsmouth doesn't play Zanesville or Logan because that's what the SEOAL wanted when league administrators made out the future schedules. I know that should help the Trojans chances of making the postseason......but I think that Western Brown is a respectable opponent.......a D2 school that I believe qualified for the playoffs a couple of years back.

I STRONGLY want to see every SEOAL team play every SEOAL team; especially after this coming year.......with Zanesville leaving, it will leave the league with 8 teams.....in which the league should mandate everybody play everybody in 2009, which would be 7 league games. That would still leave room for 3 non-conference games.

I love seeing my Portsmouth High School in the SEOAL......but please do away with the divisions. I do know that after Zanesville leaves, the Day of Champions in basketball is history......and everybody will play everybody TWICE.......the way it should be in hoops.

I agree Trojan Dave :!:

And if there are teams after Zanesville departs, that still want the format with a split division SEOAL they should look for pastures elsewhere in some other league. :-D

It's time to play every team. That way we will have a true SEOAL Champion in every sport, especially Football. I know Chillicothe is salavating at the fact we can finally play all the teams in the north. Especially playing the teams in the north twice in basketball instead of once. That will give us 14 league games with an 8 team SEOAL in basketball and 6 non-league games. Likewise in baseball too. In Football in the 2008 season, our CAVS have (Columbus Hamilton TWP D2), from the MSL-Buckeye Division, (Wilmington D3), from the Fort Ancient League and one other team to fill the void with for a non-league game. Hopefully, we will pick up Zanesville as the third team with a series that last longer than just 2-3 years, especially since they are going independent. I hope we keep playing Zanesville in basketball too as a non-league game. It would be great to have 2 non-league games in B-Ball with them each year. One at their place and one at the Hatton Memorial-keeping the rival going from these past few years inside the SEOAL and rekindling the old C.O.L. memories for the old timers between the two respected schools. That would leave us 4 non-league b-ball games which we could pick up with the likes of; Lancaster, (Circleville Logan Elm or Circleville), Greenfield McClain, and Waverly.

Good luck to your Trojans this year Dave. In commenting to your PM, yes we will be wearing our State Champion Shirts this year. :-D

We hope to see you in Portsmouth this season at the historical Spartan Field. It's always a great game between our two schools. I remember the 2005 game down there, 29-28. That was a barn-burner of a game. We were fortunate to pull off the victory.

GO CAVS :!:

Return to “Football”