Best High School Football Coach In Northeast Ky Southeast Oh

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Re: Best High School Football Coach In Northeast Ky Southeast Oh

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

Darryl Davis from East High School. Five SOC championships and the winningest coach in East High School history. There are no regional or State champiosnhips, but no East coach has been as successful as Darryl.

Darryl consistently took teams with less depth and talent and beat better teams by the work ethic, fundamentals, and a hard hitting approach to football that he instilled in his players over the past 20+ years. Any team that played East during the Darryl Davis era will attest to East having hard hitting, hard nosed kids.

There is more to being a good football coach than the overall win-loss record or state championships. Darryl sincerely cares/cared about his players and went above and beyond on more occasions than most people will ever know. He must have done something right because I am still loyal to him and I played for him 25-26 years ago.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

Bob Lutz and Ivan McGlone will get it on again in 2010 and 2011. Ironton and Russell have a contract starting in 2010 for two years.

black76
JV Team

Post by black76 »

Triplett, McGlone and D.Davis.

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

I often work the chain crew and have been on the sideline with a great many coaches from different schools. If I were wanting to turn my son over to one to be taught the game and how to behave as a man, it would probably be Chesapeake's football / wrestling coach. He wins more far than he loses, trusts his assistants, treats both his and opposing players with respect and rarely seems to lose his composure. He seems to earn the respect of those around him while teaching the players. The coach from Meigs also seems to fit this mold. I do not know either of these men's names but I have a great deal of respect for both.

I have been around lots of coaches that are obnoxious as well as poorly skilled, several others have only one or the other of these qualities.

As a disclaimer, I should say that I have only chosen from those which I have been on the sidelines with. I am sure that some of these others are great coaches as well.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

sandman-you have mentioned Phill Davis from Chesapeake and Mike Chancey from Meigs, both class acts!

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

Without a doubt Jay Kline of NY!!!!! He can do it all!!!!!

Tiger Man
Varsity

Post by Tiger Man »

MR. BOB LUTZ!!!!! :aaaaa59 :aaaaa5 :aaaaa59

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Dale Amyx of Logan should at least be mentioned.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

boogerred wrote:Dale Amyx of Logan should at least be mentioned.

He would be in my top 5

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

Mike Chancey is a quality person. The apple didn't fall far from the tree in this case either. If you know his father Coach Charles Chancey and Mrs. Chancey you know how correct I am. I can name a football official who will tell you that Meigs is one of his favorite places to work because of the class Coach Chancey exhibits. He's always the same, win or lose. He is a great guy.

Oh, his brother Rick ain't a half bad fisherman either! :122249

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

There are a lot of good coaches from SE OH and NE KY that I've seen in my 23 years of officiating. Some have been named in the likes of Lutz, Amyx, McGlone, Davis and Clifford as well of a lot that haven't been named like Dave Boston, Sr. N-Y, Dave Lucas Coal Grove/Wellston, Ed Bolin Waverly, Ed Miller Burg, Larry Hall Burg and Saunders GAHS to name a few. I know I missed some, but there are a bunch from this area.

dragoncoach56
JV Team

Post by dragoncoach56 »

I agree with sandman. I believe Phil Davis should be mentioned here too. In my dealings with Coach davis he has always been professional and a class act. But there has been a lot of good names mentioned here.

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

XandOs:

We here in Waverly appreciate the kind words regarding Coach Bolin. He had a tremendous influence on many of us and he is missed.

I'll throw Coach Pete Woods at Philo into the mix too. I coached with him at Meigs and at Jackson and nobody is more concerned with helping kids than he is. He was a really good "O" line coach right out of college too. Without a doubt though, his best quality is that his mother makes the best roast beef that I've ever eaten. :-D :-D :-D

IronTigerMum
Varsity

Post by IronTigerMum »

Bob Lutz!

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

IronTigerMum wrote:Bob Lutz!

I never disagree with Mum.

gotigers
Freshman Team

Post by gotigers »

Tobias wrote:Name all of the coaches who have taken a team to the State Finals -- that is a good place to start!

(BTW, you have failed to mention one coach that should be on this list!)

I'll finish what you started... Mike Sammons at Greenup County is worth a mention and would have won the state title at Portsmouth West had the Benny Mauk machine not been D 4.

I'll of course go with Bob Lutz from Ironton.

Phillip Haywood of Belfry, KY was mentioned before and not only is he a great coach, but is one of the nicest and most humble men you will ever speak to.

Haywood + Lutz = 600+ high school football wins and countless #'s of quality men!

GO TIGERS!!!

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

Post by The_Sports_Junky »

Ed Miller- Burg

earp
S

Post by earp »

I agree DragonCoach.Phil Davis has run a very consistent program at Chesapeake.OMG! listen to me I am complimenting Chesapeake??I think I might be getting some kind of sickness. :aaaaa16

football1
Waterboy

Post by football1 »

Bob Lutz hands down!!!!!

#1_fan
Freshman Team

Post by #1_fan »

Hmm...
I could've guessed before I even saw any of these posts that around 85% of you people would say Bob Lutz.
Wow.
Sometimes its a curse knowing everything. :122245

Return to “Football”