An Early Look at the SEOAL: The 2008 Warren Warriors

LoveSponge425
Waterboy

Re: An Early Look at the SEOAL: The 2008 Warren Warriors

Post by LoveSponge425 »

Any more talk about Wolfe playing QB ???

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Nope. I think he has settled in at fullback. He'll be a beast there this season.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

JRs and SRs received equipment last night, SOs and FRs tonight. The team has Wednesday off, then 2-a-days begin on Thursday. They can't actually go full contact until next Wednesday. Hilverding is having problems with his throwing shoulder and has been for a couple weeks. Hopefully this time off will help him out. Turns out Venham does not have shin-splints, but some issues with his tendons. That's actually good news. But, the doctor is still saying it might be 2-3 more weeks. Hopefully he'll get to return faster than that. Everyone else is healthy.

It will be interesting to see how things sort-out after the pads are on. Lot's and lot's of enthusiasm. So far, so good.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Stopped by practice for a bit tonight and have the following observations:

1) Nice group of linemen. Bigger than we've had in several years. We also have a bit of depth, but just a bit.
2) Very, very solid backfield with lots of experience. Good size, good speed. Right now it looks like Wolfe, Dunfee and Pritt are going to lead the way. Wellspring will be around the 5th or 6th game.
3) Should give a nod to SO Brian Hendrix who may see minutes at offensive guard. He works hard and can help out.
4) Ellenwood is working with the first string at QB, but Hilverding looks good too. These are the only QBs working out right now. I'm sure they will have to bring someone else along during the season.
5) Strongest looking team that I've seen at Warren in years.
6) Good enthusiasm.
7) The only negative comment I have is actually what I did not see. Warren could have had 60 players for the first time in a long time, but with 15 kids ineligible and not playing we are pretty much where we have been in terms of participation. Not a lot of upperclassmen missing, but it would have been nice to have those kind of numbers moving through the program.

One other thing . . . they were running plays (very well) which is something that a Warren team really hasn't been able to do the first day of practice in a few years. It is good to have continuity in the coaching staff for a change.

Good first day.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Kids that are getting work as pre-contact starters:

OFFENSE:
TE-Hoon
OT-Greathouse
OG-Johnson
C-Alfred
OG-Arbuckle
OT-Lemon
WR-Cox
FB-Wolfe
TB-Dunfee
WB-Pritt
QB-Ellenwood

DEFENSE:
DE-Alfred
OT-Lemon
OT-Fulton
DE-Hoon
WLB-Ellenwood
MLB-Wolfe
SLB-Pritt
CB-Cox
FS-Dunfee
SS-Coffman
CB-Yokum

Obviously, this doesn't mean much since they haven't put on the pads yet. Weekly will be the mix somewhere. Venham will get to start practicing next week, although he'll have take it easy. He'll work his way into the rotation somewhere. Lot's of players going both ways. But, several players will be there to give them a break.

Freshmen notes: The Freshman Joey Lane is big kid and strong. He could get some productive minutes this year. Henthorn is back from vacation and practicing. He had an excellent season last year in Jr. High. Fivecoait is pushing 6 feet tall and has a big body. He has the potential to be very good if he hits the weights. Harlow is also an excellent player who may get some minutes this year.

The JV should be quite good this year.

Had a new upperclassman player (lineman) out for practice but not sure of his name or status.

Is anyone else out there?

air4ce1
Freshman Team

Post by air4ce1 »

switch wolfe and pritt around and everyhting else looks about right. right now though it doesn't mean much. contact starts TOMORROW!!!!!

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Ace: Should I switch them on offense or defense?

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

air4ce1 wrote:contact starts TOMORROW!!!!!

Contact not permitted until Wednesday, only "incidental" contact tomorrow. :122249 :122249 :122249 :122249

C4PITTS
Waterboy

Post by C4PITTS »

Weekley HAS to be more than in the mix....should be a starter some where on that line and surely ahead of Alfred or Greathouse. He also caused and recovered the fumble that turned the game around at Belpre last year.

What about David Wellspring ?????

Hoon at tight end ????? I think that will change to Tackle when Weekley is in the starting lineup. Cox or Venham might be better fits for the tight end slot or even Ellenwood if Hilvey can Q.B..

Should be an interesting year, good potential but you know what they say about potential.

The biggest ? mark IMO are the Coaches, hopefully we can expect to see the same improvement in them as we do the Players.

Good to be talking Football again !!!!!

Go Warriors !!!!!

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

C4: This is the same group of coaches, but things seem much different this year. For example, the players are meeting with the coaching staff for an hour everyday for "chalk talks" before they go on the field. That didn't happen last year. In addition, speaking from the perspective of my kid, they are working much, much more on reads, they are running more options, and they will also be calling audibles. Since it's the second year they seem to moving beyond the basics. The coaching is much more detailed. You're right, the proof is in the pudding, but I'm starting to feel sorta positive about what they are doing with the kids.

As for the players, I only posted the list above to let folks know what's been happening at practice. It doesn't mean anything until they start contact.

warriorfootballer
Riding the Bench

Post by warriorfootballer »

hoon will deffinetely be tight end
the o-line will more than likely look like this.
OT: Greathouse
OG: Ben Johnson
C: Cody Alfred
OG: Jon Arbuckle
OT: Jacob Lemon

air4ce1
Freshman Team

Post by air4ce1 »

pritt at middle, ellenwood/arbuckle at weak and wolfe at strong

hoon will not be a tackle. who else can play tight end?

greathouse is doing just fine at tackle. he's huge and deserves a shot.

warriorfootballer
Riding the Bench

the only other tight end is david wellspring, wherever he is. hoon's other back ups are two freshman and a sophomore who isnt eligible until interims. and i dont think any of them are big, strong, smart, or skilled enough to hang with other varsity teams (although fivecoait would tell you he could). someone tell me where wellspring is. the david one

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Contact! Today is the first day of full pads and contact. I think the players are "chomping at the bit" to get hitting. The only real change is Ellenwood will probably not be at linebacker since he's playing QB. Arbuckle will begin contact as the weak side linebacker. Ellenwood may play some FS on defense but that remains to be seen.

Lemon tweaked his knee and will be out for a few days. Nothing serious, but he will likely miss the Caldwell scrimmage.

I talked with a coach between practice sessions last night and he said the line is better right now than it was at the end of the season last year. I hope so.

I think the O-line goes something like: 235, 270, 210, 230, 195, 250

So, our line averages a legitimate 230 lbs. this year. Our lightest lineman is Arbuckle at 195 and he can squat a mini-van (well, he can squat a lot!). It does sound promising.

Venham is starting to bounce around the field a bit more. I don't think he'll participate in the Caldwell scrimmage, but I hope he's back for Maysville.
Last edited by warrnwarriorfan on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

air4ce1
Freshman Team

Post by air4ce1 »

someone got ahold of david wellspring. he said he has been sick all week so hope he gets to feeling better.

C4PITTS
Waterboy

Post by C4PITTS »

So who takes Lemon's spot for the next couple weeks ?? Hoon ?? And what about The senior Weekley ?? Wonder why Wolfe Is moving outside and Pritt to the middle ?? Wolfe's size makes him a better fit in the middle IMO. Is Hilvey getting any reps at Q.B. ? Ellenwood is your tight end if Hilvey can handle the Q.B. duties.

Hope to see the scrimmage this weekend and the adjustments made after.

Go Warriors !!!

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

First night of hitting! It was good to hear the pads popping. The team "looks" good. They are bigger than the last few teams Warren has had. Didn't get to hit until 7:00p though because of the heat.

For the next few days I think they are moving Alfred into Lemon's spot and using the SO Timberman at center. I'm not sure where the linebackers will end up, it's way early. Ellenwood is getting the first string reps at QB so, for the moment, he is not an option at TE.

warriorfootballer
Riding the Bench

i dont see what you guys dont understand about hoon being the tight end. let me say it again. HOON IS A TIGHT END!!! NOT A TACKLE!!! i dont know how many times i have to say that. the scary thing is that timberman might be the starter in the scrimmage. him at center and alfred at tackle. lets hope to god that doesnt happen.

LoveSponge425
Waterboy

Post by LoveSponge425 »

baller,
You must be a relative. Hoon is NOT tightend material. I'm sorry!!! He is one of the biggest players Warren has. He will help the team more at the inside Line. If you can't get the RB to the outside cause to much pressure from the defense, then what good will Hoon be to block on the outside. It's called X's and O's. LOL

warriorfootballer
Riding the Bench

its just that Hoon, at the moment, IS a tight end. whether or not he'd be good at tackle or anywhere else is irrelevant, because he is going to start tight end. until someone decides to move him to tackle, which is very, very unlikely, he is and will continue to be tight end. and besides, he can contribute just as much to run blocking as a tight end that can switch to either side as a sixth lineman. also, hoon is a pretty good receiver for a tight end. he has great hands, and can run decent routes.
Last edited by warriorfootballer on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”