Called combo routes vs. Passing Tree

boogerred
All State

Called combo routes vs. Passing Tree

Post by boogerred »

I know that both are used. Which one does your team use? and why?

wrestlefan
JV Team

Re: Called combo routes vs. Passing Tree

Post by wrestlefan »

we always used called routes... because we were not sophisticated enough...

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

Post by Mercerville Monster »

I always loved the passing tree. Its pretty simple and a new receiver that had never played football before could learn it in less than a week. Its alot easier to use as well when you are running a Trips set or even a Quad to just call out the numbers like an 873 or something to that effect.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

JUST RUN THE darn BALL :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

We used a passing tree back in the Dark Ages when I was in high school (1986 graduate). Thirteen years later when I got a chance to coach under the guy who I played for (Ed Bolin) he told me that he switched to combo routes because as he analyzed what routes were being called he found that they only ran a few routes over and over. He simply named those few and taught them to the kids.

Great topic by the way.

JUST RUN THE darn BALL

Those routes are REALLY easy to learn. :lol:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I think that called routes are the way to go. I do believe that the passing tree is a great tool for youth and jr high football though. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I like the passing tree better than called combo routes for the simple reason that you can have any pattern from any of the receivers. The number of combinations are virtually endless and you could always number from left to right (regardless of which side is playside)

In called combos, the routes are predetermined and you have a finite number of combinations.

Here is a scenario that a coaching pal of mine were discussing a couple of weekends ago. Let's say you are a split back veer team and you run the pass off the outside veer. Let's say you use combo routes and you have a name for 20 different playside combo routes with an automatic backside post for the wideout or a drag for a TE (pretty standard stuff there). But you notice the BS corner is sitting on the post and you want to change the route to a streak. How do you change the route without having to burn a time out?

If you had a passing tree, you could have just called the number of the route in the huddle.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Why not do both? Use the combination routes for what you use most. The routes in the combinations are in your tree. You have a system in place to call individual routes with either a number or word. This is nothing new, was around it back in the 70's. It all comes down to how you coach it and what you coach. The kids will make it happen if the coaches do it in an orderly method, but you would have to coach it. So it comes down to staff and skill of the staff and the ability of the players to learn the system.

Ex: Combinaton (Purdue, 10-post)

In all honesty it comes down to what the coaching staff wants to do! 8)

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I think that using both eliminates the K.I.S.S. method and could become confusing for some. I really don't see why you would need combo routes if you are going to have them using numbers. It is kind of like having a system where you use numbers in certain cases and words in other cases for the same types of plays. Lacks consistency.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

I do see your point on that but it gives you a great deal of flexability in calling the passing game. Now if you are just looking at simplicity the combination routes are the best way to go in my HOP. The team I saw do both averaged over 60 points a game and yes they did have some big time talent at several positions. The simplest would be to not throw the ball. The botton line is that it comes down to what a person wants to do and feels comfortable with. Of course my knowledge is very small compared to the majority of the people on this site.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I seriously doubt few on here have half as much football knowledge as you!

Give me unlimited talent and I will draw up plays in the dirt and they will work!

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

That is ture! Actually did draw a TD pass in the dirt one night in the huddle.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

so would a passing tree be eaiser if you have an empty back field with a 5 reciver set or Quads?

i really dont know the difference im a lineman so i only really truley understand blocking schemes

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

What about option routes? I know some coaches who use them with there wideouts or slot receivers. I think sometimes they give the kids to many option routes and they get confused. It is hard enough reconizing basic coverages when you are 14-15-- or 16 years old, let alone try to adjust your route to the coverage. :-D

Return to “Football”