does anyone have the schedule for...

dragonsfan24
JV Team

Re: does anyone have the schedule for...

Post by dragonsfan24 »

North Adams doesn't have a football team.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

The Indecent One wrote:that explains a lot. but why don't they?

I've always heard that they like to concentrate on basketball during the summer and fall.

earp
S

Post by earp »

None of the schools in Adams County have football.I have always heard it was do to lack of school funding??

dragonsfan24
JV Team

Post by dragonsfan24 »

Manchester has football.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Didnt they just get football a couple of years ago though?I was thinking Manchester was in Brown County.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I saw North Adams scrimmage the other day and they are mid-season form. They were very impressive. Maybe that is why there is no football.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

According to the OHSAA website North Adams has 152 boys, that in comparison to;

Southeastern 158
Nelsonville-York 160
Federal Hocking 165
Belpre 166

all have football teams. Some have experience recent playoff berths. Also according to the OHSAA website, Dave Young, the Green Devils basketball coach is also the Athletic Director. Does that make you scratch your head?

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

Huntington Ross 167 boys
Belpre 166 boys
Dawson-Bryant (Coal Grove) 166 boys
Adena 160 boys
Nelsonville-York 160 Boys
Southeastern Ross 158 boys
Monroe Central 155 boys
North Adams 152 boys
Arcanum (Darke County) 148 boys
Marion Local (2006 Division VI state champs) 138 boys
Paint Valley 133 boys
Miller 129 boys
Mechanicsburg 128 boys
Trimble 126 boys
Caldwell (Noble County) 121 boys
Dalton (Wayne County) 118 boys
Manchester 116 boys
Hopewell-Loudon (2007 Division VI state runner up) 115 boys
Mogadore (2002 Division VI state champs) 115 boys
Shadeyside (2006 Division VI state runner up) 112 boys
Columbus Grove (2003 Division VI state champs) 111 boys
Delphos St. John's (2005 Division VI state champs) 102 boys
Millersport 100 boys
Eastern Meigs 99 boys
Racine Southern 97 boys
McComb (Hancock County) 87 boys
Waterford 81 boys
Dola Hardin Northern (2004 Division VI state champs) 73 boys
Portsmouth Notre Dame 38 boys

http://www.ohsaa.org/

hawkeyepierce:

North Adams had football and dropped the program before Dave Young worked there. He was teaching at Waverly during my junior year (1984-1985) and North Adams didn't have football then so don't lay that on him. He's a good man.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

D Owens...Good post. Hope all is well your way.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

D Owens wrote:
hawkeyepierce:

North Adams had football and dropped the program before Dave Young worked there. He was teaching at Waverly during my junior year (1984-1985) and North Adams didn't have football then so don't lay that on him. He's a good man.

I am not trying to "lay" anything on anybody. I knew that football was not there before he got there. However, let's state the obvious, he and the Green Devils have benefited greatly from the lack of football. Have they not? As I said earlier and continue to stand by what I said, I have seen NA basketball team twice this summer, first at the Chesapeake Shootout and at OU-Chillicothe scrimmaging Vinton County and Logan Elm, and the Green Devils are in "mid-season" form. It is easy to be in mid-season form, when you don't have basketball players going to morning football workouts or coaches vying for the athletes' time through other means. So I will take the one step further, and say that Coach Young as Athletic Director is NOT submitting a plan or wishing for a football program.

Vinton County's football program more than pays for itself and has filled the Athletic Department coffers. So that is what makes me scratch my head; with a close nit community like that of North Adams and the support of local business that give generously to the basketball program, I would assume that North Adams could support a football program, but someone in charge chooses not to do so.

That is my opinion, maybe someone from North Adams could shed some light on this subject.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

North Adams to me seems like one of the schools that could care less about football and just focus on basketball, which works for them even though they do have enough boys to get football. I think the one thing that will have them to atleast talk about getting a program will be kids leaving to go to Manchester for football the ones that are interested.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

That is exactly what I am talking about, NA doesn't care about football because their administration doesn't care about football. If the principal or the athletic director cared about football, then football would be played in Seaman. I feel bad for the kids who would like to play football, what is their outlet, move?

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

I don't understand why hawkeyepierce gets on this topic in the first place, given it has nothing to do with Vinton County athletics whatsoever, and then procedes to get in his back-handed left-handed jabs at another school and/or individuals that are not from or represent Vinton County.

That leads me to scratching my head, and should leave others to scratch their heads as well.

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

The majority of people in Adams County don't have any inclination to have high school football today. All the high schools here did have it back in the late 1970's but it died out. Yes, probably the cost was a major factor but also maybe injuries to basketball players was a contributing factor as well. Yes, Manchester did bring it back a few years ago starting at the junior high level and this year for the first time will compete at the varsity level against a small-school schedule which is the way it should be.

I had no idea just how basketball-minded this place is until I moved here several years ago from just a neighboring Scioto County school district. You just would not understand it until you live it first-hand. Adams County is very similar to me to the movie, Hoosiers, as far as the importance people place on basketball. Many people here will also travel to Maysville, KY to watch Mason County boys play. Of course, they won the Kentucky Sweet 16 this year for the second time in 6 years. It is almost like a who's who of Adams County when you go to Maysville.

I just don't think that the other three schools here in Adams County will be getting football. North Adams has had bragging rights for most of the last 15 years or so, at least since the time Dave Young has been there as the head coach. He has done a tremendous job there reaching the Final Four and also several Regionals during his tenure.

The Southern Hills League in general is just so competitive year in and year out in boys and girls. In boys, North Adams, Eastern Brown, and Whiteoak have all reached Columbus in recent years multiple times. Ripley has had some very strong teams too but they have to go to the Southwest District and had to go through North College Hill or otherwise they possibly would have reached the State Tournament as well. In girls, Peebles, Eastern Brown, and Lynchburg have all reached Columbus in the past 10 years.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Thank you for your interesting perspective, bucknut 23. As I said earlier I just didn't understand the reason why that a school of NA size would not have football.

Just because I live in the state of Ohio does not mean that I am restricted to only having opinions for issues involving Ohio, am I not entitled to opinions that are on a national and global level as well?

Return to “Football”