Athlete loses consciousness

boogerred
All State

Athlete loses consciousness

Post by boogerred »

What is the rule if an athlete loses consciousness during a competition? Can that athlete participate in the remaining part of that competition? What if a coach violates this rule?

bengalfan76
SE

Re: Athlete loses consciousness

Post by bengalfan76 »

Must have a letter from a doctor.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

What if a coach lets an athlete compete without that note from a doctor? What are the repercussions?

Buckeyes98
Waterboy

Post by Buckeyes98 »

Oh my goodness! If an athlete has LOC he, she needs to be sent to the ER. This is an emergency situation! 911 should be called and the child should be spineboarded. With any head injury you always suspect a neck injury. This athlete has a concussion. Any LOC is a concussion. These are children. They should never play after any LOC. Childrens' brains are not developed when they are in high school. If an athlete goes back in the game this can result in DEATH! It is called second impact syndrome. Where were the parents? What kind of coach is this? We need to educate our coaches and parents about concussions and fast. In 2008, they should know. Was there an ATC/L there? Every school should have a Certified Athletic Trainer. A child does not need a note. A coach should knows he should not play. This is an outrage! I am sick to my stomach. What is wrong with people?

Army
S

Post by Army »

buckeyes98 wrote:Oh my goodness! If an athlete has LOC he, she needs to be sent to the ER. This is an emergency situation! 911 should be called and the child should be spineboarded. With any head injury you always suspect a neck injury. This athlete has a concussion. Any LOC is a concussion. These are children. They should never play after any LOC. Childrens' brains are not developed when they are in high school. If an athlete goes back in the game this can result in DEATH! It is called second impact syndrome. Where were the parents? What kind of coach is this? We need to educate our coaches and parents about concussions and fast. In 2008, they should know. Was there an ATC/L there? Every school should have a Certified Athletic Trainer. A child does not need a note. A coach should knows he should not play. This is an outrage! I am sick to my stomach. What is wrong with people?

We played against McArthur Vinton County in a non-league game back in the 70's when I was in H.S. A player from the VC team got a severe concussion and some said he was and out of it going home after the game. He occured a concussion in the game between our two schools. The next week, his Vinton County coach let him play in the game against another team and he died.

It's very dangerous to even think about it.

Any coach knowing first hand and would do that or even think about playing a student in a game that has experienced a situation like mentioned above should be fired and banned from H.S. Coaching for life.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

The ref could get in as much trouble as the coach. He should require a doctors note to allow the kid back on the field.

http://www.nfhs.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 9;t=001390

Return to “Football”