Gallia selects 7th Hall of Fame class

jottings
SEOPS H

Re: Gallia selects 7th Hall of Fame class

Post by jottings »

Bluefan...It's all done by volunteers who have played, coached, taught or supported GAHS athletics down through the years.

You get no money, but you have to spend a few hours on research and there's lots of paper work involved. If you are so concerned about the committee, show up or volunteer your services. Then maybe people like you will complain because you don't think its fair.

BluFan
Waterboy

Post by BluFan »

No one said anything about anyone getting paid, just asking who is on the committee because if you don't know then how can you suggest someone you feel deserves to be in the HOF if you only fill out a questionarie but cannot follow up on it by speaking to someone. As far as being on the committee then maybe you should advertise that it is open to any one that wishes to volunteer because it seems the only thing I've ever seen in the newspaper is when the information is to be sent and to whom it is to be sent. You also made a comment that Jackie Knights position on the committee was open so that doesn't sound as if you just take anyone and everyone on this committee. I also know someone that recently went on this committee because they were asked to fill a spot that was vacant.

Not sure you would want me on the committee, I'm a very opinionated person but then again, if you don't know when and where the committee meets how can you decide if you want to be on the committee or if you really want to be part of this committee.

You still didn't answer my question as to who is on the committee, I know a lot of teacher, coaches, ex-players and people that have supported the GAHS for many, many years.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

The rule we've been talking about is a good one in my opinion. No matter what they have done in any sports at GAHS if after HS they got in trouble or did time in jail , their not getting in. I'm sorry but I think you have to be a good role model is just as important as WHAT you did in sports. JMO!!!

Now, does this mean you'll pick(as some said)a lawyer over someone who works at Walmart or wherever, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it doesn't!!!!!!!!!!! or it should not matter.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Bluefan...All meetings, time place, etc., are posted in the local paper four or five times before a meeting. Apparently you don't read the paper.

Blacksunshine
Riding the Bench

Post by Blacksunshine »

Jottings- I do understand that there are a lot of great athletes that span the course of time. I just didn't understand what you meant by "they weren't eligible" this time.

gahs4ever and gahs7462- I agree with only one of your points, Gary may not be the best of all time, but he sure could be mentioned among the top ten. Yes, it's new, but do we base their nomination, not only on their high school accomplishments but what they did with the rest of their lives? Case in point, Pro Football Hall of Famer Mike Webster, All-Pro Center, four Super Bowl Rings. After football was homeless, lived on the street, sold his rings to survive, do you think the Pro Football Hall of Fame Committee based their vote on what he did after football? No, it was based on his accomplishments while he was in football. That's my arguement, he was no role model, a great center, but no role model. He was elected for what he did on the field, not off the field. That may be a bad example to some people, but it's just my opinion. I like the Hall of Fame idea for high schools, don't get me wrong, it allows you to honor the athletes who gave you everything they had in order to be the best at what they did.

bettis
Varsity

Post by bettis »

I am not an orginial Blue Devil, but have supported the Athletics for several years. I know alot of athletes who should be considered. I know alot of them have not gone to play after high school. I just believe everyone from the area should nominate at least one athlete every year and maybe the picking would be alittle more defined. I can name at least 20 athletes who should be in the HOF and I went to the county schools.

Congrats to the new class. Start thinking about who you would like to see in the next class of HOF and nominate them the next time.

BluFan
Waterboy

Post by BluFan »

jottings, you are correct, I don't waste my valuable time reading the local newspaper because most of the news is about 3 days behind if it is even in the newspaper and there are other ways to find out the local news. (like watching channel 3 news or listening to Big Country Radio station or even reading the Huntington newspaper) If it is in the newspaper it is usually a week after the fact.

You still haven't answered my question about who is on the committee is that because they don't want to be known?

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

Jottings, I would love to be on the nomination committee and I will contact you to see what I need to do. I still say though that the criteria should be what a athlete did while in high school and nothing else, we would hope that they all would be great people as well but that is not always the case. I am not saying to put in people who are in prison but some athletes were good people in school but for one reason or another had some problems as life went on. I could only hope that a few of these people get in, maybe it would turn there life back around and give them some self asteem or maybe they will meet up with a fellow hall of famer who could help them out getting there life turned around. i think all acheivments after school are note worthy but should not be considered in the HOF voting. Blacksunshine raised a good point about Mike Webster.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

Jottings !I was going to put Pete Neal up this season.but did not get all the paper work done, maybe next year if he would show. Know both Pete and Chuck well, rare breed.After Chucks days at morehead state,he just stay in Kentucky, he lives there now !!!!one of the few in track would throw the shot putt then go run the 100, IMO if it wasn't for the bad knees he had a shot at the NFL.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

we should have seops fame

Return to “Football”