Portsmouth West

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Portsmouth West

Post by falconflyer »

Did they have two American Legion players told to choose between football and legion tournaments?

fbnut
SEOP

Re: Portsmouth West

Post by fbnut »

I heard that is what happened.

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

That is not good, if it is TRUE!

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Why?

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

All I know is all the players expected to play are there and I've never seen them so focused while looking like their having fun. I know of a couple kids whom didn't play, but that was more for driving go carts than anything.

If it did happen, I see no problem with asking kids to be committed to the team. Its football time, and your mind needs to be on that.

West Legend
Riding the Bench

Post by West Legend »

this is not true at all. the kids quit playing baseball to be committed to their team and to their school. they was never forced, so people need to quit making comments about stuff they don't know for sure. some people need to grow up and quit trying to start stuff.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

West Legend, we are not trying to start anything. I was told that the young men were given a choice. I was hoping this information was not correct. Both players added much to the 23 team this year and were a blast to be around. I wish them the best this football season.

THE'GENERAL'
Freshman Team

Post by THE'GENERAL' »

difference between west and wheelersburg?????what is the wheelersburg kids doing that are playing football doing....finishing something they started and there coach is in support of it....missing a couple of practices shouldnt hurt bricker or journey they r two of the most athletic kids in the school and southern ohio they need to go win a state championship with post 23 and carry that success over to the football field.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

West Legend wrote:this is not true at all. the kids quit playing baseball to be committed to their team and to their school. they was never forced, so people need to quit making comments about stuff they don't know for sure. some people need to grow up and quit trying to start stuff.

.......so, let me get this straight. They need to stop being committed to something, that a whole team is relying on them, something they have played the whole summer and helped get the team this far and then decide the week they are going to the state, to give that up for one week of practice for football.

Be hard for me to give that opportunity up unless I was being given an ultimatum and then I would have to lean towards playing the baseball.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

THE'GENERAL' wrote:difference between west and wheelersburg?????what is the wheelersburg kids doing that are playing football doing....finishing something they started and there coach is in support of it....missing a couple of practices shouldnt hurt bricker or journey they r two of the most athletic kids in the school and southern ohio they need to go win a state championship with post 23 and carry that success over to the football field.
And that my friend answers your question The Burg supports all kids in all sports.A little extra work ;-) equals champions

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I think its great myself that these boys are committed and the rest of the SOC II better watch out. Coach has tapped into all that potential that West has always had. Their disciplined, focused, and ready to play. We have the horses to make a playoff run this year. Very few Region 19 teams will be able to handle the combination of size, strength, and speed.

free safety
Riding the Bench

Post by free safety »

siderman, I fill sorry for the young men if they make a deep run in the playoffs because the basketball kids will have to quit early to get to basketball practice.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Did anyone ask the kids if they made that decision or are we just trying again to start something on here that should not be discussed on this website?

WestSide Pride
Waterboy

Post by WestSide Pride »

I'm sure they were not asked. Some think football is a year around sport on the west side. That is why some of the kids did not come out this season. I was told they feel like its a job and that all the fun and enjoyment has been taken out of it.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

If it were forced by the coaches shame on them for making the players choose. How often does a high school athlete get a chance to compete at the state level. If this is truely the case they were force to miss a chance in a lifetime. A bunch of crap IMO regardless of the sport.

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

How do you think you will do against Portsmouth, Rock Hill and South Point out of conference?

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

PORTS ROUTES WEST,RH WILL BE A TIGHT GAME,SP BY 10!

THE G.O.A.T.
Freshman Team

Post by THE G.O.A.T. »

On a mission,

I hate to break it to you man but you are way off. Mark my words, West has never and I mean never had a group of kids this committed or this talented. I think we have had some kids step up tremendously. This is a completely different west team than ever one is accustomed too. I have never seen kids work this hard and change their bodies as much as they have. West will have 640 pounds between their 3 backs this year.

Offense
QB Ethan Morgan Sr. 6'3 225
FB Dale Swords Sr. 6'0 210
HB Trevon Pendleton Soph. 6'0 230
HB Mark Murphy Jr. 6'0 200
TE Lee Compton Soph. 6'1 195
LT Matt Lester Sr. 6'0 240
LG John Alley Sr. 5"11 220
C Thomas Sr. 5'10 250
RG Seth Webber Sr. 6'0 210
RT Scottie Sparks Sr. 6'7 320
SE Alfie Bricker Sr. 6'3 180
Slot Travis perry Sr. 5'9 150
FL Travis Journey Sr. 5'9 160

Defense
DE Mark Murphy Jr. 6'0 200
DT Tim Evans Sr. 6'2 220
DT Matt Lester Sr. 6'0 240
DE Seth Webber Sr. 6'0 210
LB Trevon Pendleton Soph. 6'0 230
LB Lee Compton Soph. 6'0 195
SS Dale Swords Sr. 6'0 210
FS Alfie Bricker Sr. 6'3 180
CB Travis Perry Sr. 5'9 150
CB Travis Journey Sr. 5'9 160

Trust me, People will want to get out to the Portsmouth West to watch some football this year.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

WestSide Pride wrote:I'm sure they were not asked. Some think football is a year around sport on the west side. That is why some of the kids did not come out this season. I was told they feel like its a job and that all the fun and enjoyment has been taken out of it.

Right or wrong, football is a year around sport if you want to compete at a high level. I know of 4 kids which played last year that aren't playing, with the best being Lokar the freshman Qb last year. If there are others, I don't know them. If they are saying stuff about it being a job or different than before it sounds like they've lost interest and are looking for excuses. Read what GOAT has to say, because he's right, for the first time in years I see dedicated kids enjoying football and expecting to win. Somebody must be having fun or doing something right because we have around 50 out, up from somewhere in the thirties last year.
Last edited by Westfan on Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

on a mission wrote:PORTS ROUTES WEST,RH WILL BE A TIGHT GAME,SP BY 10!

I'll take that bet. West over Portsmouth in a great game. The other two West will win handily.

Return to “Football”