3) Defer your choice to the second half

Explain your answer..

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Re: You won the opening coin toss...

Post by dazed&confused »

OK, I'll bite.. I defer. Why?
1) Momentum-if I have it, I want to keep it and go for the knockout. If I don't have it, I want to settle my guys down, make adjustments at halftime and start the second half in a different tone.
2) Conditions- If the weather is good, I want the ball to start the second half. If the weather is miserable, I want to kick it (maybe squib) and hope for a turnover or good field position.
3) The opening kickoff is devalued. If the other team scores, you have time (all game) to recover. If you score, same for them. Usually, if it is two tightly matched opponents, it will take awhile for both of them to establish a rythm. Nothing gained.

Also, you know how the game is tending by the second half. I want to take control in the third quarter, which more often than not is the most crucial of the game.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Kudos to D&C.

That's exactly my answer. Sometimes it's not a bad idea to take the ball if you feel like you need to make a statement and you're confident your defense can back you up, but 90% of the time I go by the above logic.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

great answer d&c!

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Really doesn't matter except for #2!

Don't ever say kick!

Don't let your kids say kick.

It is receive or defer! If you say kick you will probably kick off both halves!
Last edited by JohnKnight on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

To me it all depends on him you are home or away...Home defer to the second half and have your defense come out and set the tone for game, On the road Give me the ball first especially in a big game on the road that way you score and take some air out of them and then let your defense go to work and have them get a 3 and out

Burgballer08
Waterboy

Post by Burgballer08 »

I would kick let the defense start out get the momentum going for the offense then get the ball back the second half.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

I like gett'n the ball first to set the tone so then you can see how the other team reacts.

MuletownManiac
JV Team

Post by MuletownManiac »

I like dazed and confused's answer, if I were a head coach that would be my strategy.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Pretty sure booduh is a Zebra and is seeing how many of you know that the wrong choice can cost your team big-time. I wish more Referees had this guy's Philosophy.

http://www.ocfoa.org/CFOA%20FORMAT%20pd ... 20TOSS.pdf

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

This situation can be a very precarious situation for officials. I agree with Mr. Howard that caution should be taken to avoid a very uncomfortable situation for an official having to explain to a coach why he's going to kick off both halves. I do think that coaches should take the time to explain, very carefully, to their captains the correct choices. I, also, think that Mr. Howard could make things even easier to avoid the same team kicking off both halves like out R has done. He asks the Head Coach in pre-game what he wants his captains to do if they win the toss and which way they want to kick should they lose. This really simplifies things.

Unless I had an explosive offense, I'd choose to defer. I'd like my defense to set the tone, hopefully lay some big hits, stop the opponent, then go and score, then come out in the second half and score to hopefully complicate things for your opponent.

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

I personally know very little about football but I also know that Bob Lutz almost always defers; and that's good enough for me.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-- George S. Patton

We want the ball!

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Make your opponent show their offensive cards first, and put yourself in a position to be on offense [potential scoring position] last!

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

You don't kick! You defer!

swamisez
JV Team

Post by swamisez »

my junior year, our defensive captain was out there for the toss when we played parkersburg south.

South wins the toss, defers.

Edgell: "We want to kick"
Ref: "are you sure you want to do that son?"
Edgell: "Coach said kick"
Ref: "What ever you say. By the way your coach is gonna be pissed."
Ref: Parkersburg South wins the toss, defers to the second half, Warren elects to kick.

Thankfully we beat up on South pretty good, 35-0 at half, when we kicked again.

BuckeyeBoy21
Waterboy

Post by BuckeyeBoy21 »

I defer and hope to give myself the last scoring opportunity of the game or keepit even and then force the turnover that helps me get two TD's in a row.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i always like to defer and get the ball back first at the beginning of the half. i'd much rather put my defense up first, with their ears pinned back. trying to cause a shaky snap, or handoff. if you get the ball back the second half, if you are already ahead, you might be able to put the game out of reach. if you are behind. you get the first shot back at scoring, and getting back in the game. i'd always defer to the second half. even on playstation.

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

If I have a good stingy defense... I would defer!
If I have a good explosive offense... I would receive!
If I have both... I would defer!

If having both a stingy defense and an explosive offense! I think you can let your defense set the tone and field advantage for the offense.

If you start out on offense and your team doesn't punch it in; the defense takes over with the momentum in the other teams favor! If they do score then momentum and and a jacked up defense takes the field!

If you have a stingy defense and usually as one other poster stated; it takes awhile for teams to settle down and get their rythms going. Therefore the first offense drive for the receiving team doesn't produce points. Momentum is a big factor in the game of football; it can kill drives and a players confidence.

big-train
Freshman Team

Post by big-train »

take the ball.............have some ba...,ram it down their throat! ;-)

Return to “Football”