Logan/Circleville scrimmage

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Logan/Circleville scrimmage

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks HOH - that's too bad about Kyle Guess - he has great speed ... Derek Hart? was sidelined last hoops season due to a heart condition , hopefully this condition has improved for DH and has nothing to do with his decision not to play...

... looking forward to catching the Purple in action in Round town this week ...

osu*me
Riding the Bench

Post by osu*me »

ok, so how did the scrimmage go?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

It's not until Friday (the 8th).

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

1987chieftains wrote:what time is it?

If I hear anything, I'll post it. Last year the scrimmage started at 5:00 PM down there.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

It is 5:00.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

thanks

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

It will be great just to sit in the stands and watch football again, even though it's not a game. One thing I want to watch is how well Angle is in sync with his receivers. I'm not too concerned with the running game. Also, how well the secondary covers. It's early but you want to look at the rough edges. And above all, get out of there with no injuries. Sheridan will be a tougher test.

highonthehill
Waterboy

Post by highonthehill »

Angle will be fine. He's a true athlete and will make plays for himself and his receiving corp. Purple vs. White scrimmage will be Weds. afternoon probably starting a little after 11 a.m.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

He will still need some seasoning to get the feel in the pocket. Two things will be critical early in the season:
1) Offensive line play- the veteran line should allow him time to make good decisions. He will have to develop a comfort zone and not bail out too early for the run. Lancaster will probably try blitzing him quite often to rattle his confidence.
2) Running game- if it is solid, he will not be pressured early on to win games with his arm and feet. A good running game, keeping the yardage short on 2nd and 3rd downs will help negate the blitz.
As I said, these are the things I will wtach when he is in early on. The one thing that must be stressed, I believe, is that as good an athlete as he is, he must not be counted on to win games by himself.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Heard Logan shut them out. Logan may have scored three times

First team didn't play that much.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Watched half of the first teams going at it. Logan's first team drove down to about the Circleville 20 on one drive, and looked sharp passing and running the ball. Circleville held and got the ball back on downs. Logan's defense looked good. Some general things to work on for both teams - a few fumbles, missed tackles, dropped passes and the such. You expect the first scrimmage to be a bit like that.

The Chieftains should be good again this season.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Logan only played their starters a little over 30 plays probably. Each team went 10 OFF/10 DEF twice, then went down and distance. Logan's starters only went down and distance one series.

Logan's defense was pretty dominant. The defensive line dominated, and the secondary looked very good.

Offensively, Logan worked out of the shot gun a lot. Patrick Angle was very good, as were the receivers. Clay Morgan looked good both running and catching out of the backfield.

Mason Mays made big plays on both sides of the ball. Several nice catches and several BIG hits.

Logan scored 2 or 3 times and Circleville did not score at all (in the Varsity portion). Circleville is inexperienced at this point, and I don't think it was a great test for Logan.

We'll know a lot more next Friday.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Just heard Logan out scored them 5 to 1

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Defense looked great. Offense had a little too many mistakes and penalties for my liking but that's to be expected for the first scrimmage. I liked the way Logan spread the formations on offense. There was no running outside on our defense; great lateral pursuit. But, like Locos said, I think we'll find out more about them this Friday. One thing that impressed me is the overall speed of both the offense and defense

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

D&C -

You're right about the defense. They were fast and they hit hard. Ralph Robinson played very well at end taking over for Angle. The interior line was pretty dominant as well, but considering the experience returning there they should have looked good.

I agree that there were too many mistakes offensively, however, considering we were down two starters on the offensive line I thought the kids played very well. The mistakes (bad snaps, penalties, etc.) can be fixed, and I hope we'll see fewer this Friday. We did try to run the ball in the middle a whole lot, and would like to see us do that against Sheridan.

No doubt the offense will look different this year, but I think it will be for the better. We're ALWAYS going to run the ball, but we should be more diverse, making us harder to defend.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Maybe it was just me but I didn't think we did that well trying to run outside. But the power stuff up the middle was great. There were some real holes opened up on a couple of those plays.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

D&C -

I did get to the scrimmage a little late, so I'm not the best judge of the whole scrimmage. I didn't mean we weren't successful when we DID run up the middle, I just felt we didn't do it as often as usual.

I don't think there was any phase of the game that didn't look pretty sharp from an execution stand point, except for the penalties of course.

Return to “Football”