Burg in the SEOAL??????

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Burg in the SEOAL??????

Post by loyaldevilfan »

I know alot of people don't like the split divisions of the SEOAL and I hear alot of mixed reviews about the SEOAL. How AWESOME would it be though if the BURG joined the SEOAL... I knwo it is not that easy and I am not sure whether it would hurt or help them. Bit with us losing Athens this year and Zanesville next year could you imagine if we could get them to join. I just thought I would throw this out there to see what people thought... Like I said before it may not be something that could ever happen or would ever happen...BUt I still like to imagine....lol

Army
S

Re: Burg in the SEOAL??????

Post by Army »

I would love to see Waverly come back into the SEOAL along with Wheelersburg. Split the divisons West-East Divisons.

SEOAL West Divison

Chillicothe DIII
Waverly DIV
Portsmouth DIV
Wheelersburg DV
Ironton DIV

SEOAL East Division

Jackson DII
Gallia Academy DIV
Logan DII
Warren DIII
Marietta DII

Or create a new SEOAC in southern Ohio with:

Chillicothe DIII
Jackson DII
Waverly DIV
Portsmouth West DV
Portsmouth DIV
Wheelersburg DV
Ironton DIV
Gallia Academy DIV

But we all know EITHER OPTION is not reality. :-D

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

.......NOT!

That would not be a good idea for a number of reasons.

Travel is a concern for some teams, they'd compete well in the big 2, (never would win league in football) and would get waxed in everything else, small school no computer points. Nice try though.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

I wondered why the burg had never been in the SEOAL...But I was thinking how awesome it would be.....Like I said I don't know where it would hurt or benefit but you brought some light to the issue 4ever... I guess it is just wishful thinking.....lol

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

that will never happen.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Ironton is actually only 21 miles from Wheelersburg, but like others have stated, I just don't see them leaving the SOC anytime soon. I think they could compete with the teams in either of Armys scenarios since they already play quite a few of the teams.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Wheelersburg has one of the top programs in SE Ohio and there is no doubt in my mind that they could compete, and compete well, in the SEOAL. That said, they're in a good situation where they're at and the SOC makes much more sense geographically for them.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Army is at it again. Any league configuration that gets Chilly away from the Chiefs. Well you are stuck here for this year and this year you will be victory #10 for the Chiefs.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Burg's basketball program might actually be stronger than their football over the last 10 years. As a matter of fact, they've won their region 3 yeas in a row.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

2old wrote:Army is at it again. Any league configuration that gets Chilly away from the Chiefs. Well you are stuck here for this year and this year you will be victory #10 for the Chiefs.

Do you honestly think that every statement on this forum relates in some way to the Chieftains? Absurd!

I can't believe that I actually responded to this crap. If we stop responding, will you go away please?

kevbk6222
JV Team

Post by kevbk6222 »

nevermind

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

WHY??? It will never happen. There League is not in trouble!!!

MuletownManiac
JV Team

Post by MuletownManiac »

2old wrote:Army is at it again. Any league configuration that gets Chilly away from the Chiefs. Well you are stuck here for this year and this year you will be victory #10 for the Chiefs.

This guys is a tool, tool, tool, I dont even root for anyone in th SEOAL but this guy is on every other post saying off the wall comments. Go crawl back under the rock you came from.

Army
S

Post by Army »

GalliaGrad78 wrote:

Do you honestly think that every statement on this forum relates in some way to the Chieftains? Absurd!

I can't believe that I actually responded to this crap. If we stop responding, will you go away please?

GalliaGrad78,

I couldn't of stated it any better. :-D

I think Wheelersburg and Waverly would be an outstanding addition to the SEOAL, but with that said, why would they want to leave the SOC II which is a fairly close in Conference made up of teams that cover a two county area for Football and a three county area for all other sports? Waverly was in the SEOAL from 1970-1983. They came into the SEOAL from the SOC and when they left they went right back to the SOC. I think Waverly is very comfortable where they are. I would love to see Chillicothe start playing Waverly in a non-league football series. A two to three year series could start a rivarly. Just like many in Chillicothe would love to re-kindle the Chillicothe-Circleville football non-league series. Circleville is only 17 miles from Chillicothe. Chillicothe is only 19 miles away from Waverly. Chillicothe and Waverly already play against each other in Soccer, Volleyball, Basketball and I believe Baseball and Track too. I think our Jr. High teams play against each other in Football too. :-D

I know Chillicothe has played The Burg in Basketball.

Maybe if we lost some more teams in the SEOAL, like the rumor that surfaced this summer, of Marietta and Warren looking for other alternatives, once Zanesville announced they were leaving and Athens that had already left.

If that situation happened, that would leave the SEOAL with 5 teams in the South, Chillicothe DIII, Jackson DII, Portsmouth DIV, Ironton DIV and Gallia Academy DIV. With Logan DII in the North. Creating the possibility for a Wheelersburg DV and a Waverly DIV to look at the possibility. But I still couldn't see The Burg or Waverly wanting to play Logan on a constant basis. I know Burg scrimmages Jackson DII every year and plays Ironton and Portsmouth every year. And Gallia Academy ever so often. Waverly plays Jackson every year, and at times Portsmouth. So there is a pattern but I still don't see either team leaving the SOC II for the SEOAL, not even in this format.

One would have to admit, both teams would make a fine addition to the SEOAL, that's for sure.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

portsmouth_98 wrote:Burg's basketball program might actually be stronger than their football over the last 10 years. As a matter of fact, they've won their region 3 yeas in a row.

They only won the regional two years in a row. They lost in the regional semifinals this past year.

Wheelersburg is almost as large now as it has ever been. It has certainly been much smaller (think New Boston size). But it has been playing these same SOC teams in football, baseball and boys and girls basketball for about 80-100 years now (depending on the school and the sport) and why they would want to give up such rivalries... and with the price of gas... to be the absolute smallest team in a geographically huge league with schools three divisions larger--well, that is crazy.

We would be like Portsmouth and play all our girls basketball league games on Saturday... Drive 2-3 hours for our league Cross Country and track meets and no longer have a chance at two league championships in swimming. The only plus that might be there would be if the SEOAL has a league championship in wrestling.

Wheelersburg competes for 16 different league championships currently. How many does the SEOAL offer?

SOC: Football (2), Soccer (2), Golf (2), Girls Tennis, Volleyball (2), Boys Cross Country, Girls Cross Country, Boys Basketball (2), Girls Basketball (2), Boys Swimming, Girls Swimming, Boys Track (2), Girls Track (2), Baseball (2), Softball (2), Boys Tennis (2).

You may want to consider getting back such teams as Wellston and Nelsonville-York as I believe they may have been part of that league many years ago.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Speaking of old times, did you know that Chillicothe and New Boston played in football? I don't know how many times they played but it was at least once. Maybe the TIGERS of Glenwood should join their old rivals in the SEOAL. ;-)

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

Wheelersburg has had the best overall athletic program in the southern part of the state, in the past several years. They are simply good in almost everything. Yes, they play in one of the most weak conferences in the state, but they still beat non conference teams as well. The Pirate administration has to be commended on upgrading their facilities and making an overall commitment to excellence. Theuy hire top notch coaches and they flat out get after you in all sports. They are to be commended.
That being said, they will not leave a great situation. They have the luxury of short drives in conference for all of their sports. they have the luxury of attracting visiting fans evn though they win probably 75% or higher of all of their league contests in all sports. (Mainly again due to distance). Their revenues are strong and their travel budgets are low. They also have the luxury of playing Portsmouth and Ironton in almost all sports, so even their non conference games are fairly close. The only positive thing that the SEOAL would offer Wheelersburg is overall better competition in basketball and football. I dont think the SEOAL offers better competition in baseball or other non revenue type sports.
Wheelersburg would try to entice Ironton and/or Portsmouth to the SOC, before they left for the SEOAL.
With all that said, I look for some type of merger between the OVC and the SOC, before Ironton or Portsmouth would ever be invited. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

gahs4ever wrote:Hang on to your hats gentlemen. I have it on good authority that once Zanesville is gone, the SEOAL is going to retain their North/South divisions with four teams in each division. If I remember right, three different south teams (Chillicothe, Jackson. GAHS) will take two year turns in the North to balance out the divisions. Not sure of the motivation for not going to one eight team league. Perhaps it is to help the travel out for Portsmouth and Ironton. Don't take this as gospel, although it comes from a very reliable source. Time will tell.

GAHS -

This is true in all sports but football. Football will be a 7-game round robin with no divisions anymore.

But for the other sports, I have heard the same. Keep the divisions with one member of the south (Jackson, Gallipolis, Chillicothe) rotating into the north every 2 years. I believe Gallipolis has volunteered to be first in the North division.

Riverrat Tiger
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrat Tiger »

Wheelersburg could definitely compete in the SEOAL. But as someone already said, why would they want to? Wheelersburg is in a perfect situation with the SOC. Short travel, good gates, DV, DIV teams. I also don't believe the exodus from the SEOAL is finished yet. I'm really not sure what team would help the SEOAL stay strong enough to get everyone to stay.

Army
S

Post by Army »

gahs4ever wrote:Hang on to your hats gentlemen. I have it on good authority that once Zanesville is gone, the SEOAL is going to retain their North/South divisions with four teams in each division. If I remember right, three different south teams (Chillicothe, Jackson. GAHS) will take two year turns in the North to balance out the divisions. Not sure of the motivation for not going to one eight team league. Perhaps it is to help the travel out for Portsmouth and Ironton. Don't take this as gospel, although it comes from a very reliable source. Time will tell.

You have to be joking? :roll:

I hope not. Especially with the possibility of alternate fuels. I know many of our School buses in Chillicothe City Schools run on Natural Gas, instead of Gasoline or Diesel Fuel.

I know Chillicothe will support what ever they are delt with, but this split division format is a crock if you have only 8 teams. If Ironton and Portsmouth are going to whine about travel, they should of thought about that in 2004 when accepting the invitation to join the SEOAL. I once have never heard Marietta complain when the SEOAL was without the expansion teams and they had to travel to Jackson?

If they want to split the divisions, how are they going to play football? Is everybody still playing a 7 SEOAL Game format? If not, I am not sure Chillicothe would be in favor of that. Our CAVS are already playing 7 SEOAL schools this year, with many other SEOAL Teams playing only 6 SEOAL Schools. We have traveled all over this state to play football and other sports the past 63 years. So travel is nothing new to The Chillicothe Cavaliers.

Concerning Ironton and Portsmouth, they have a travel history as well, especially in Football. To include their prior independent status they both played in, during the 80's, 90's, and up to 2005. :roll:

I could see applying the split division for all other sports to limit the travel on weeknights. That's understandable. If they split the divisions for that format change it to a West-East Format instead of a North-South one. Then there is no need to rotate 3 South Teams which is ignorant. What's that all about? :roll:

Make the Divisions with:

West Division
Chillicothe DIII
Jackson DII
Portsmouth DIV
Ironton DIV

East Division
Gallia Academy DIV
Logan DII
Warren DIII
Marietta DII

But for Football :?: :roll:

Be real :!: :roll:

Just make it an 8 team SEOAL League and drive on. No divisions needed for that sport. If so explain? You only travel once and it is on a Friday Night?

GO CAVS :!: :-D
Last edited by Army on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”