SEOAL All-League Honors

BluFan
Waterboy

Re: SEOAL All-League Honors

Post by BluFan »

MariettaPride21 wrote:
BluFan wrote:It is to bad that football and some of the other sports (basketball, baseball, volleyball, etc) are not like, golf, track, wrestling, etc where the athlete actually wins the right to be all-league, all-district, all-region & all-state. Football and the other sports depend on not who is the best athlete but who the coach wants on the team. I haven't had anyone in school for several years but even my own kids knew the best athlete was not always picked for these teams and that colleges don't always look at this stuff. They look at your stats, your films and if you are lucky, they come and watch you play. So, if someone doesn't make the all-league or all-district team, it isn't the end of the world, (it may only seem that way at the time)just accept that it is only the coaches opinions. (by the way, my son was voted all district & all state because a coach from another school nominated him, his own coach didn't bother to put his name on the list.)

golf track and wrestling are not individual sports
the all league award for the seoal is very "political"

Unless things have changed in the last 8-10 years and I don't believe they have, in those sports (golf, wrestling, track, etc) it doesn't matter what your record is at the SEOAL meet. The only way you are all-league in these sports is if you finish 1st at the SEOAL meet. The coaches have nothing to do with it. It depends on how you finish, you can have the best record and finish last at the league meet and you will not be all-league. So, yeah, they are team sports but as far as making all-league they are individual.

Football, baseball, basketball and other sports, the players are picked by the coaches for all-league, district, etc. and it is very political and has been for more years than I like to admit being around GAHS sports.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I wish they would pick three teams on O & D and one Hon. men. team. To me this show more of the players in the league.

No two way players----most that go to college only play on oneside of the ball.This way it show what they are best at.

StonewallJackson89
Riding the Bench

Post by StonewallJackson89 »

There was an offensive lineman that made the All-SEOL team that really didn't deserve it. Can anyone guess who this might be? I am probably out of line with this post but it just upsets me that quality offensive lineman were left off the team.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

For the person to get it, his coach had put his name in and the other coaches seemed to have agreed

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

For the person to get it, his coach had put his name in and the other coaches seemed to have agreed

A good point, but in the past, the buddy system -- I'll vote for yours if you vote for mine -- has played a pretty strong role in the all-league selections.

StonewallJackson89
Riding the Bench

Post by StonewallJackson89 »

Who is number 55 for Ironton? I think his last name is White. He has good size and has a good motor. I saw him play 2 or 3 times this year and I think he is Ironton's best lineman. Number 62 looked extremely fatigued in all the games that I saw and was being pushed around pretty easily. Is he injured? I do not mean any harm by singling these kids out I was just wondering.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

an all league team needs to be represented as such the best player in the league by position should be all league. a first and second team.

blufan you real close to being right on :idea:

you go upto a chalk board and just start counting votes if your a doormat team you are basically guaranteed someone from your team will be all league is this right :?: no justification for some but you have to be so sensitive cause of kids :mrgreen:

Bleachrbum
Freshman Team

Post by Bleachrbum »

If you were at the Ironton - New Lex game #55 for Ironton was in the stands by the end of the game.
# 62 was named Southeast Ohio Div. 4 defensive player of the year.

Return to “Football”