Most exciting High School game you have ever watched?

fuzzhead
SEOP

Re: Most exciting High School game you have ever watched?

Post by fuzzhead »

Here we go again... comparing DII public school to DV public school :arrow: :roll: (But I promise you that Coal Grove's all-time all-star team would look VERY impressive).
Yes, I know the "deal" with Catholic Schools. But the bottom line is that to be the best, you've got to beat the best whether they "recruit" or not. I guarantee you that there are public schools like Glenville in Cleveland where the good kids want to play because of the exposure. I would never bet my life on any football game, but I WOULD put a handsome sum of money on the line if those matchups would take place.

We've gotten completely off topic, but here's the bottom line: Logan's the best team in SE Ohio at the moment. They play in a conference that is laughably unbalanced in both size of schools (DII all the way to DIV) and state of the programs.
I've heard Logan fans on this site say "We play for SEOAL Championships, not the playoffs". That's not the attitude to have. Being the best in SE Ohio really doesn't say much at all when you stop and think about it and being the best in the SEOAL means even less. Yeah, the regular season record looks good, but once you get into the State Playoffs, it's a whole new ball game (punn intended).
I remember years when Chesapeake would be up near the top of the Region 19 rankings, but would lose early once they got to the playoffs - didn't get challenged in the regular season except for losing to Portsmouth and Wayne,WV at the beginning of the year every season.

catscoachmac
Riding the Bench

Post by catscoachmac »

Have to set this 1 up a little...Lived and taught in North Carolina for 1 year. Anson County, which is about 45 minutes southeast of Charlotte. Rural county with some big time football. I got to help coach for that 1 season I was there. Talent like I had never seen before at the high school level. At 3-0 we roll into Charlotte Independence to face Coach Tommy Knotts and his young stud sophomore QB Chris Leak (eventual Florida Gator). The hype to this game was that we were the #1 defensive in the state going against the #1 offensive team. Defense wins championships, right? Well, not that day. Leak lit us up for 35 points in the 1st Quarter. The final was 77-49. At that time he was 15 years old, no bigger than 5'10'', 165 pounds and he threw 25 yard out routes on a string.

After that romping we circled the wagons and put together a great playoff run only to run into Independence again. This game was a 28-26 thriller in front of a reported 18,000 fans. Another loss for us, but a game that I will never forget. That year became the 1st of 3 consecutive state championships for Independence and Leak.
Sorry for the rambling...

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

catscoachmac wrote:Have to set this 1 up a little...Lived and taught in North Carolina for 1 year. Anson County, which is about 45 minutes southeast of Charlotte. Rural county with some big time football. I got to help coach for that 1 season I was there. Talent like I had never seen before at the high school level. At 3-0 we roll into Charlotte Independence to face Coach Tommy Knotts and his young stud sophomore QB Chris Leak (eventual Florida Gator). The hype to this game was that we were the #1 defensive in the state going against the #1 offensive team. Defense wins championships, right? Well, not that day. Leak lit us up for 35 points in the 1st Quarter. The final was 77-49. At that time he was 15 years old, no bigger than 5'10'', 165 pounds and he threw 25 yard out routes on a string.

After that romping we circled the wagons and put together a great playoff run only to run into Independence again. This game was a 28-26 thriller in front of a reported 18,000 fans. Another loss for us, but a game that I will never forget. That year became the 1st of 3 consecutive state championships for Independence and Leak.
Sorry for the rambling...
Great story.I remember reading a little on those Leak teams.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Edgar and Stratford(WISCONSIN) Game 2

This one just ended with Stratford winning their sixth straight D-6 title. It came down to the last play on offense that Edgar had. With the score, 7-3 Stratford the qb for Edgar drops back to pass with a little over a minute remaining in the game. The qb was facing heavy pressure forcing him to throw off of his back foot to his receiver in the endzone, who was opeded. The pass floated just enough for a defender to jump in front of the receiver and make the pick.

7-3 final score

Just_A_Fan
Varsity

Post by Just_A_Fan »

The best in SEO is a tie between The Burg and Ironton. The reason I say that is cause all there history. And to tell you the truth can't stand either school cause they win all the time. The Burg has some of the best fans those people will travel whenever and where ever to see there team play and it dont matter what sport.

I dont know records but I say if you look at boths school records since they been playing football its prob darn scary good.

Also I dont think your the best team in SEO when you have one or two good years. To be the beat team I think you have to look at the whole picture.

I'm not from either school so dont think that, I went to the Peake and even lost to the Burg my Jr year @ home in a playoff game.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

We've been the best for 3 or 4 years in SEO. Next year will be the same thing.

Flock_92
Freshman Team

Post by Flock_92 »

Personally I think the 1985 Minford v. Burg was one of the best games I have witnessed. Minford beat the Burg at home. First win in over like 20 years for the Falcons. Was a special night and one I will remember.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2008 season
5-A-Semi Finals
Colorado

Columbine VS Cherry Creek

This one went back and forth all game long.
In the fourth quarter with less than a minute remaining Columbine scored to take a 25-24 lead. They would go for two and not get it.

Cherry Creek gets the ball near their own 20 and on third and long after a penalty on Creek the qb hits is go to guy for a gain down to the Columbine 27 yard line, with only 7 seconds left.

The kicker comes in a hits the game winning field goal to put the nine seed Cherry Creek team into the state finals

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Add the D-2 state Final that was just played between Southview(29) Anderson(25)

Game wasn't decided until their were less than a minute left.

oldcoachb
JV Team

Post by oldcoachb »

falconbacker92 wrote:Personally I think the 1985 Minford v. Burg was one of the best games I have witnessed. Minford beat the Burg at home. First win in over like 20 years for the Falcons. Was a special night and one I will remember.

\
The FUN BUNCH got a little wild that night. Think I dropped my pint jumping across the fence at the end of the game. lol! One of the biggest wins ever for Minford and one i'll never forget.

Sharpshooter21
Waterboy

Post by Sharpshooter21 »

Burg vs. Portsmouth last year

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

Sharpshooter21 wrote:Burg vs. Portsmouth last year

The BURG/P-town game my freshman year was an amazing game...P-town was up 7-0 I think and driving again late in the 2nd half until my cousin Brian Stephenson picked off a pass near the endzone and took it to the house for the tie...BURG later added a fiedgoal to win the game...if I remember it all correctly

chssoccer41
Waterboy

Post by chssoccer41 »

Burg vs Portsmouth 07 was a game filled with emotion. Nethier team wanted to lose and both teams wanted to win badly. To recover a fumble and then score with 10 seconds to go against your rival school when you both have great teams. that is a good game to me. Portsmouth won 27-20

fhsalum1991ah
Waterboy

Post by fhsalum1991ah »

I would have to say the Ironton vs. Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education featuring Carlos Snow and Vincent Clark in 1986.

94Grad
Waterboy

Post by 94Grad »

2001 Trojans vs Licking Valley! The Best Game ive Ever Seen i think L.V took it 28-27 Joseph Parker was unbelievable!

jungleman
Riding the Bench

Post by jungleman »

your forgetting about mooney and coldwater of 07 state championship.coldwater won on a blocked EXTRA POINT!!!!!!! the game was back and forth all game long

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Valley v. SV 2002

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott

Return to “Football”