Most exciting High School game you have ever watched?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: Most exciting High School game you have ever watched?

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:1989-Wheelersburg state championship win over Warren Kennedy. Burg goes up against a team that is supposed to bigger, faster and stronger and wins 14-7.

1989-Burg vs. Versailles-State-semi-final. Burg finally breaks through and gets a win against Versailles 16-7. Burg is down 7-6 and Pete Ruby kicks about a 30 some yard knuckleball FG that gives the Burg the lead 9-6. Burg tacks on a late score to seal the victory.

That 1989 season had some great games and those are definitely at the top of my list, but the one that stands out in my mind from 1989 was the Burg/West game. West jumps out to 20-7 halftime lead and was just dominating the Pirates in the first half. I remember Todd Ruby walking by and stopping to chat and saying, "A state championship caliber team finds a way to come back and win this game. We'll see if this team has that in them." The Burg, on the shoulders of senior QB Matt Millers play faking and running outscore West 14-0 in the second half to win 21-20 and go on to a 14-0 season and a state title.

Another great game I remember was when Ironton played Rock Hill in the playoffs a few years back at Ironton and it was just a dogfight. Both teams seemed to almost score at will with Ironton finally comnig out on top. Rock Hill definitely wasn't afraid of the Tigers that night and played right with them. I think that may have been an #8 vs #1 game.

Just_A_Fan
Varsity

Post by Just_A_Fan »

2003 and 2004 Chesapeake vs Rock Hill for the OVC title, both games went back and forth and both went into double OT I think. Chesapeake won both games, but Rock Hill should have won in 2004 but missed a long field goal at the end. Mcfann ( I think was the kicker) he had the distance but just missed it wide

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I think the Chesapeake opener this year against Oak Hill, it wasnt the best ever but it was a dandy of an opener.. Chesapeake trailing by two scores at half came back to win 30-29 thanks to a broken up two point coversion pass by Chesapeake's Kyle Webb that was intended for Oak Hill's J.D. Hale with 5 seconds left on the clock..

fasteach
Varsity

Post by fasteach »

this year meigs vs. nelsonville.
first meigs by plenty.
2nd nelsonville in a massive comback.
lastly meigs in a last minute drive to score.
the game was not over until the next to last play and even that had everyone in the whole stadium standing. was he in, was he out?
depends on where you live i guess :122246
heck of a game!
it is only justice that both teams made the play-offs.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

IRONTON'S TRIPLE OVERTIME THRILLER AGAINST CINCINNATI CAPE

IRONTON'S THRILLING WIN OVER WASHINGTON DC ARCHBISHOP CARROLL HIGH SCHOOL

IRONTON DRUBBING D1 LANCASTER ON THEIR HOMECOMING NIGHT.

ABOUT EVERY GAME WITH COLUMBUS DESALES.

IRONTON'S 99 WIN OVER YOUNGSTOWN MOONEY

IRONTON DRILLING RANDY MOSS'S DUPONT TEAM, THAT WON THE STATE THAT YEAR IN THE BIG DIV. IN WEST VA. FOOTBALL.

AND OF COURSE LAST BUT NOT LEAST BOTH OF IRONTON'S STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME IN 1979, AND 1989. AND VERY NEARLY 1999.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

you are definately a class act , bruiser.

West Legend
Riding the Bench

Post by West Legend »

-Hilliard Davidson/Mentor (D1 Championship 2 years ago at Fawcett)... Davidson wins in 2OT's, forget the RB's name, but he had @ 40 carries, ALL on the same 2 plays to the right and left

the running backs name was Bo Delandy(sp.?)

the most exciting game i ever watched was either the West vs. Ursline regional championship game or the Youngstown Mooney vs. Coldwater state championship game from last year. (watched it on tv but was still n the edge on my seat the whole time).

seohhoops
Freshman Team

Post by seohhoops »

I havent been to alot of playoff games in my life. But I was a youngster and attended the Vinton County v Ironton playoff game. Not sure of the year, someone help me out? That was a great game as a young junior high kid.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Can't remember the year but it was Miami Trace and Logan

Blacksunshine
Riding the Bench

Post by Blacksunshine »

2003 Div 3 Regional Final at Grove City Greyhound Stadium

Germantown Valley View vs. Newark Licking Valley

NLV-63
GVV-60
4OT's

GVV was up big at half by like 20 some points, NLV came back in the 2nd half to tie and then it was the wildest finish. The kid from NVL kicked a 30 some yard FG in the 4th OT that bounced on the crossbar straight up in the air and fell through for the win and the place went nuts.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

kylecompton21 wrote:That was a great game. Keeping with '02, the Regional final against Portsmouth was a great game. Also the '01 game against W'Burg was great. 7-0 Final score, hard hitting all game long.

i have to agree with the 02 regional final game as well as the 01 burg - west game. i was at the regional final game between west and portsmouth. that was nasty and cold. i couldn't believe how cold it was during that game

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Coal Grove v. Fairland '04, '05, or '06 - take your pick....

I'd probably lean with the '04 game - Coal Grove down 21-0 in the first quarter - come back and win 42-41 on a 2-point conversion....

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

Coal Grove and Fairland. I bet there were more fans at any one Tomahawk game last year :lol: :lol:

Chieftain Envy? 8)

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Anyone that saw the Piketon-Waverly game this year would have to say it was by far one of the most exciting games ever. Although in the end it didn't really mean a whole lot it did that night and it was one of the most exciting finishes of any game I have witnessed!

http://www.nextvsports.com/

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Any of the 02 playoff games that Wheelersburg was in.
Also the comeback that the pirates made last season in Lancaster against the freddies ( I believe ) Although they came up short, Man that was a GREAT comeback!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Hilliard Davidson/Mentor (D1 Championship 2 years ago at Fawcett)is number two on my list.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

newarkcatholicfan wrote:Hilliard Davidson/Mentor (D1 Championship 2 years ago at Fawcett)is number two on my list.

That game was amazing. I watched that at home on ONN and was rooting for Hilliard all the way considering they knocked us out first round and we hoped they were going to win state and sure enough, they did lol Went for 2 for the win and got it done i couldnt believe it. We need to see more of that around the state. They earned that title.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I can add another game to my list after watching Mater Dei host Orange Luthern(Calf schools)

with not only a share of a league title on the line for Orange but also a playoff birt(both of which Mater Dei has already earned) and the coach for Orange has went for it on 4th down six times. His team has converted 5 of 6.

Awesome game to be watching 1The game 4-14 with 8:00 left in the final quarter.

The game came down to a 43-yard field goal kick by Orange with :02 left in the game. The kick was good and would have been from about 50 yards.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Grizzly,Don't dis on River football!These are places that the whole town in alot of places come out for the games!Sure there are more at youre games you are alot bigger school! :roll:

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

earp wrote:Grizzly,Don't dis on River football!These are places that the whole town in alot of places come out for the games!Sure there are more at youre games you are alot bigger school! :roll:

That was me dogging Fuzzhead. He came onto a Logan thread and said something smart so i have to give him hell every chance i get. I think its funny, our JV team can beat his varsity team.

Return to “Football”