The Wildest play call you have seen a H.S. Coach make?

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Re: THE WILDEST PLAYCALL YOU HAVE SEEN A HS COACH MAKE?

Post by Frank Reagan »

old-timer wrote:The center sneak? The center would snap the ball as normal, but would not give it to the Qb.

Snap infraction. In a hand to hand snap, a back must touch it or it must hit the ground before a lineman can advance it.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

boogerred-Actually did it as a player running Buck Trap many years ago.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I tell you what that will definitely mess with a stud DT. Nothing is more educational than a facemask into the small of the back.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Which is totally legal in the free-blocking zone.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

boogerred wrote:Which is totally legal in the free-blocking zone.

A facemask to the small of the back would not be legal. It would be illegal helmet contact, more specifically butt-blocking. Leading with the helmet/facemask was taken out of the game a long time ago. Yes, it occurs in the trenches, but leading on a trap with the facemask to the back; that's intentional and illegal. Now, if you want to use a shoulder pad to the back, then ok in the FBZ, but facemask, no.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

If the down man follows the pulling guard to the outside there would be no reason to block him, just turn up into the hole and lead the play and get your picture in the paper! :mrgreen:

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Many line coaches teach triple-point contact (face mask and both hands.) So I don't believe trapping with the face and hands is illegal.

Leading with the shoulder reminds me of an old football card I used to have of Mick Tinglehoff with both of his forearms up.

I also believe the influence trap is used to inflict pain on a DT and make hin think twice about bailing out when his guy pulls, which opens up the quick pitch again.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

boogerred wrote:Many line coaches teach triple-point contact (face mask and both hands.) So I don't believe trapping with the face and hands is illegal.

It really depends on the block. If the facemask is driven into the opponent, yes, I can't still see it being illegal even with both hands there. Most times, if proper technique is used it isn't an issue, but as you said, facemask into the small of the back, my mental picture of that is bad.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Bad mental picture maybe, but that's what'll happen.

Sometimes description like that are needed.

Jif
Riding the Bench

Post by Jif »

old-timer wrote:
How about the old Center Sneak! I was coaching when this play was called against Meigs. The play went for about 35 yds for a touchdown. We ended up winning by a field goal. Looks similar to the fumble roosky, but we would actually change the center and the guard, to keep the ball from having to be laid on the ground. This play probably wouldn't work today with instant replay, but wait, that not available in high school yet!

Please explain it more, please. The center sneak is illegal in today's rule book as is the fumblerooski.

It was illegal when Wellston ran it some years ago. At the time Wellston ran the rules sted on a fumblerooski (a lineman in the vicinity of the snapper must turn and face his goal line before carrying the ball) The officials just plain missed this one.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Once saw a kid fair catch a short punt and then the team got a free-kick opportunity right before halftime. The kid from John Glenn barely missed the field goal.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

I saw that in an NFL game a few years back. That would be scary considering the legs on some NFL kickers.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I bet very few coaches know about the free kick after a fair catch rule.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

boogerred wrote:I bet very few coaches know about the free kick after a fair catch rule.

The Wheelersburg Pirates do!!!!!! You should have seen all of our faces as they attempted to explain that rule to us every year before the playoffs started.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

That rule is the kind of rule that would probably get taken off the books if too many teams took advantage of it.

Attack
Freshman Team

Post by Attack »

i remember calling the mid-line QB follow on 4th and 10+ on our own 9 yardline at symmes valley one year. this was after 3 successive punt snaps had sailed over the punters head and into the endzone. people in the crowd were yelling to fire the dumba## calling the plays. about the time the dumba## part came out, our qb was streaking down the field for a 91 yard touchdown. which happened to be our only score of the game. :122246 later in the year we automaticed to fake punt run right, again on our own 9 yardline, when miller overloaded the left side of our offense in an attempt to block our punt. 6 points again. desperate plays by a desperate coach, but hey they worked. :122245

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

boogerred wrote:Once saw a kid fair catch a short punt and then the team got a free-kick opportunity right before halftime. The kid from John Glenn barely missed the field goal.

I've only seen it attempted once in my life. I believe Green tried it against St. Joe sometime in the early 80's. It was no good. Way no good.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

XandOs wrote:
boogerred wrote:Once saw a kid fair catch a short punt and then the team got a free-kick opportunity right before halftime. The kid from John Glenn barely missed the field goal.

I've only seen it attempted once in my life. I believe Green tried it against St. Joe sometime in the early 80's. It was no good. Way no good.

Did you watch the Cardinals and Giants game this weekend? Whisenhunt tried it from 68 yards right before halftime. One advantage high school has is the use of the tee.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Surprising they couldn't use a kick-off tee. I know the NFL doesn't use a tee for XP and FG kicks, but in high school, they can use a kick-off tee for this play, boogerred. Hmmmmmm.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I am actually surprised it isn't done more often in high school.

You can also in the NFL (not sure about HSFB) extend the game by letting the ref know that you are going to fair catch a kick at the end of a game. If you do, you can try for the FG even if the clock has expired.

Return to “Football”