Chesapeake Panthers 2009

peake450
Freshman Team

Chesapeake Panthers 2009

Post by peake450 »

Look for the panthers to be much improved in 09. Any Thoughts.

FanOfTheGame2004
Waterboy

Re: Chesapeake Panthers 2009

Post by FanOfTheGame2004 »

The Panthers should suprise some people in the '09 season... Even though they lose a very good qb with Donahoe, Colton Lindsey will step up and do a fine job. And having a returning an All-District linebacker and guard, Brent Eldred. Also having some starters return. They should be in contention for the OVC title. I think they could be better than a .500 team.

Just_A_Fan
Varsity

Post by Just_A_Fan »

What Chesapeake needs is a leader on the O line, someone who can take charge. I believe that is what this team have been missing over the past couple years is someone on the O-line to step up. Just IMO.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

the panthers will have that leader on the line in Brent Eldred 1st team All-District. I see the panthers having a better shot at the OVC this coming year but it will be a good race again for the OVC. Gone are 3year running backs Alex Wells and Drew Blake and an all OVC QB in aaron Donahoe but Colton will step in and do well panthers return 7 players on O and 8 on D the panthers are still climbing the latter to get better and they will get there if they stay in the WEIGH ROOM !

GOOD LUCK PEAKE!

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

hopefully get a half descent rotation of backs in there and davis and co. will know how to put up points

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

I'm curious what kind of weight program does Chesapeake have? It seems that quality of teams have dropped some since those dominant late 90's - early 00's. Does anyone know the cause of this?

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

just not the same athletes.. . its luck

if you've watched the games peake and the siders have played i can tell you we have the same coaches, run the same offense, and the teams i played on would have probably won by 20 or more the past 3 seasons

they will get back into the swing of things eventually

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

OVCfan32 wrote:just not the same athletes.. . its luck

if you've watched the games peake and the siders have played i can tell you we have the same coaches, run the same offense, and the teams i played on would have probably won by 20 or more the past 3 seasons

they will get back into the swing of things eventually

20 or more, this year? Not

Just_A_Fan
Varsity

Post by Just_A_Fan »

The only weight lefting program Chesapeake has is a weight lifting class and not all of the football team takes the class. People are post to be lifting during the off season but say you have 50 kids on the team you MAY have about the same 10 kids in the weight room.

You know the sad thing is during the summer Davis has the weight room open twice a day for three days a week, all you had to do was do maybe an hour and half work out.

I really don't wanna here that there is no athletes. Yes you don't have a Andy Clark a Robbie Issaic, a Mike or Cody Hunt, and i really can go on here. But you gotta find ways to win.

Sider I dont know aobut 20 or more but when OVC32fan and I played we had four or five shut out wins. Here was some teams we played
@Porstmouth (made playoffs)
@Wayne, WV (state runner-up that year) lost I think 21-14
Symmes Valley won 6-0 (Symmes Valley was Regional Runner-Up that year in d6), @Valley (we shut them out that year I think @Valley)
Some D3 school we shut them out scored over 35 points
Fairland (had Mike Hill, Sam Huff and company) we won 40 some to 7
@South Point (had Chris Smith was hurt during first quarter) won 55-0
Coal Grove (the year Lucas came back) put up over 40 points
@Rock Hill (won in OT)
River Valley put up over 30 points

Playoffs was seated 5th
@Ridgewood lost 31-14 (we lost that game right before half time due to some bad coaching)

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

I can't see Chesapeake losing its step with Lindsey coming in as the QB. The kid looks like a heck of an athlete - he can scramble and he can make some really good throws, too. Almost led Chessy to an upset win over Coal Grove this year. Very exciting to watch.
I can see the Peake winning 6 or 7 games overall and an OVC Title would definitely be attainable.
Chesapeake and Coal Grove would probably be my two favorites at this point....

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

Unless they get in the weightroom, they will just be another team playing football. You win games in the off season, in the weightroom.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Coal Grove was the strongest team in the OVC 04, 05, and 06 and lost to Chesapeake in all those years.
Weights are important and if some of the horror stories people on here are telling about Chessy's weightroom are true, it should be addressed. But the fact is that Chessy just hasn't had the talent to consistently compete the past two years.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

In all of the previews I have read from accross the state and from Kentucky the one thing they have in common is weight lifting. If it isn't getting done you are not going to win.

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

I really don't think it is lifting that does it guys. . . . its just the teams that lift are the teams that are dedicated, dedicated teams work hard, run hard and play hard. . . .more importantly practice hard. .
I know for a fact plyometrics and speed drills would absolutely work better than lifting alone but that doesn't matter. . . I bet all the teams that lift also run, and do plyos, and stretch well. . ect ect ect. .

and going against my point. . I think getting the kids in the weight room gets them together to do those more important things. . lifting is just the catalyst to a good football team. . .like the grovers said. . you can be strong. . but that wont do it if you don't have the right players

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

then again. . . even if you flat out suck. .
being strong couldn't hurt :122245

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

I agree completely.

I think it's more about being the fittest than it is being the strongest. If you're a lineman and you aren't in shape, it doesn't matter how strong you are - you're going to be worn out by the time the 4th quarter comes around (I've seen it happen)....
I'm not saying that you should be a marathon runner or anything, but running is definitely very important.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

I guess I should have been more clear, to me when I talk about the weightroom I am talking about everything that goes into getting stronger. From lifting to pyrometrics to running to stretching, they all go hand in hand to make an athlete a better player. As I have stated in other posts, the Panther weightroom was a thing of pride back in the late 70 and the early 80s when Coach Coleman was the HC. Ex-players came into workout with the players and buy weight equipment. Usually after school there would be 30-40 players working out with anywhere from 2 or 3 to upwards of 10-15 ex-players in the weightroom. Someone was always there until after 9pm every night during the week. Guess that's why the team that Cannonball played on had all starters benching at least 300lbs during their senior year. They started as 8th graders in the weightroom and continued right on through their senior year.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

the panthers will be back within the next two years they will still be young next year i know of 2 freshmen gonna be sophs that are already up around 250lbs on bench and they are in the weight room with other fellow players for nearly 2hrs a day. And its not only lifting its plyos and players getting to hang out with eachother and know eachother better u cant just start into parctice in July and your players not have a clue about their teamates that is prob. the biggest problem.. Trust me the Peake will get back on track!!

GO PEAKE!

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

yes yes. . peake will be back on track. . . none of the boys teams could compete with peake teams of the past, thats not anyones fault

Just_A_Fan
Varsity

Post by Just_A_Fan »

What do you have to prove anything you just stated? Those are some pretty strong words, so lets here some facts or what you think is a fact to back up what you are saying.

Return to “Football”