Any teams mentioned for expanding the TVC-Ohio to 8?

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Re: Any teams mentioned for expanding the TVC-Ohio to 8?

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

Mister B wrote:First, TVC rules state that to have a league champion crowned, there must be a least 1/2 of the total members of the league fielding teams in that sport. The OHSAA has nothing to do with crowning a league champ. Adding Warren and Marietta for soccer proposes only still won't get you to that number. Athens, Belpre, Alexander, Warren and Marietta. Adding Trimble to the list of soccer programs is a little soon. Athens knew coming into the TVC that there was no league title and that would probably never be. This includes tennis. So much for soccer being king in Athens. Would they let their BIG sport play each year without a title? NO! They got into the TVC to compete for leauge titles in football, basketball etc. Winning breeds success, but you can't understand that.

Travel, yeah it may be shorter to drive to Cheshire then to Wellston from Belpre in terms of mileage but not in terms of time. The road to Cheshire stinks. It is a nice 4 lane drive from Belpre to Athens, Alexander, Wellston, Nelsonville and Vinton for the most part. Even the 2 lane drive to Meigs, Eastern and Southern is much better than the bad roads to Cheshire. Next time drive the roads that MapQuest gives you before you make a statement about travel.

Plus, the other TVC schools are the ones that constantly complain about the drive to Belpre, not Belpre complaining about travel to them. Last year for basketball Vinton County sent 2 different sets of busses in basketball that left their school at different times for their games at Belpre. How cost effective is that? Bussing kids twice to get them there once?

Warren and Marietta should play Parkersburg South. It is a 15 minute drive to a school that equates to playing a D-1 Ohio school in terms of size. Plus, they should beat them. Everybody knows Ohio football is superior to WV football. ;-)

There is no league for Belpre to get into. The drive to schools in the PVC would be worse than the TVC. The MVL is out of the question in terms of school size and drive time. So, I don't see Belpre going anywhere unless some schools split off from the TVC but that is HIGHLY unlikely.

Adding River Valley, in my opinion, is not the way to go for the TVC to expand. I don't have a say in it but if I did I would vote no. I am against having more than 6 schools in any league or division. I like 5 non-conference and 5 conference football games. It gives you the chance to gain more computer points and doesn't require you to go 10-0 or 9-1 or 8-2 to get in the playoffs. Playing a schedule in which the conference beats each other up means only 1 or 2 teams (10-0 and 9-1) get in the playoffs. Half of a schedule with nonconference teams in any sport gives you more leeway in scheduling teams that benefit you in building a program and increasing your gate.

Mister B,

Playing up for the Crown makes champions? I don't care what one does or says on here, Athens for a while will not be a powerhouse in football concerning SE-Ohio football no matter what you think. Two, look at the TVC-Ohio in general outside of N-Y. Who are all the teams scheduling? Wellston has Jackson every year. And has picked up Waverly for a 2 year series again. But this up-coming season Wellston is replacing Waverly with Lancaster Fairfield Christian D6 in a two year series? A year later Fayette-Perry another D6 Team in Southwestern Ohio in a two year series. This will be FP's first Varsity season when Wellston plays them. Meigs dropped Gallipolis off it's schedule and picked up the OVC for their non-league. Athens has started to play down getting defeated by D5 Federal Hocking, and playing Wahama. WV? They kept Gallipolis. Belpre plays Warren. Vinton County plays Jackson. And has picked up Waverly and Bloom Carroll for a series. Kudos to the VIKES for that. But still plays Unioto and has over the years played the likes of Berne Union. Alexander, playing what Southern? Your point is empty. Other than N-Y winning a State Championship, you haven't much in the rural conference. And adding a Warren and Marietta would end up ruining the league. In the long run if a Big, Medium and Small division was formed, which I don't think will ever happen, it would have a recerse effect, by having teams exit the TVC, either to form their own league or go into another one close to them. Like Meigs and VC leaving over Marietta.

Whatever N-Y puts in the water system up there, it is working. Ever since Bucthel-York consolidated, N-Y became a power in football. Wellston has had N-Y beat so many times as of late and ends up losing. In OT this season. I remember WATCHING the Nelsonville Greyhounds when I ws a kid and they were the joke in the SEOAL. It must of been the kids at Butchel-York that made the difference.

As for your arguement the roads to RV? The same 2 lane Rt. 7 that you say is O.K. to travel to Meigs continues south the Chesire? And your point is?

Mister B,

I think Belpre is really afraid to let RV in the TVC-Ohio knowing they will lose more times than they win in basketball against the Raiders. Two, also in football at times. Lets look at the TVC-Ohio. Outside N-Y in football, it's usually Wellston or Meigs with VC at times. Belpre last year. Wellston had Belpre's number for almost 10 years straight other than last years 0-10 season. Likewise Meigs. Meigs won last year and this season for the first time in a while against Wellston.

The conference is a rural one and fit overall for a RV verses a Marietta and Warren. No matter how you put it. As for Soccer, since the teams would have to be drawn from both divisions, maybe they could have a crown title in soccer.

The TVC is ripe for an invite to RV for number 8. :-D
Last edited by BuckeyeCAV on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

BuckeyeCAV wrote:Whatever N-Y puts in the water system up there, it is working. Ever since Bucthel-York consolidated, N-Y became a power in football. Wellston has had N-Y beat so many times as of late and ends up losing. In OT this season. I remember WATCHING the Nelsonville Greyhounds when I ws a kid and they were the joke in the SEOAL. It must of been the kids at Butchel-York that made the difference.

Nothing in the water! What turned Nelsonville-York into a football powerhouse has nothing to do with the water or even the consolidation. What turned Nelsonville-York into a winner was Coach Dave Boston Sr. His first season as a coach was the Nelsonville Greyhounds final year of existance - 1966. He became the head coach of the consolidated Nelsonville-York in its first year of existance - 1967. By the early 1970's the Buckeyes started winning TVC titles and never looked back!

The Greyhounds may have a had a bad football program, but the York Bruins were even worse! In fact, York's varsity football team often played against junior varsity teams from other schools. I toyed at the idea of recording the Greyhounds and Bruins football records when I researched the scores of every Buckeye football game. However, I never did do this - at least not yet. I quickly found out that York would be hard to do because of all the junior varsity teams they played. These games were often held on different days of the week, so it makes it harder to find them in the newspaper. Whereas, varsity is always played on Fridays except an occasional Saturday game.

While it is true that the consolidation happened in this short time span and its true that the Buckeyes left the SEOAL for the TVC in this time span, these are not what made NY a football powerhouse. Simply put, Dave Boston was allowed to BUILD A FOUNDATION from the ground up and implement his own style of play. A foundation cannot be built overnight. It took a few years for his foundation to be layed in place. It took about five years for this to happen. But look what happened from that point forward! NY has won the TVC about 50% of the time since the early 1970's. All the other schools combined have won the other 50% of the titles - with Belpre having a good percentage of those! And Dave Boston's style was not just implemented in the high school program - it trickled down and got kids excited to play football - thus building successful junior high programs and biddy league programs. Success breeds success! This is what has allowed NY to be so successful for so many years. Regardless of how much talent NY loses in any given year, the program is so succussful from the ground up that NY will have replacement talent in place to carry on the tradition. This is all owed to Coach Dave Boston Sr. The man who led the Buckeyes to a State Championship, created a football dynasty at all levels of play, and ended his career by being selected to the Ohio High School Athletic Association Football Coach Hall of Fame and by having NY's football field named in his honor. His son-in-law Kevin Meade carried on the tradition, followed by his own son - Dave Boston, Jr. These are the only three coaches to ever coach football for the Buckeyes going back to the days of consolidation in the 1960's. That coaching stability, coupled with the fact that many boys at NY want to become a part of the tradition, is what has allowed the tradition to continue at NY. :-D

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

If River Valley had done the right thing, their would be 8 teams in the league.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

BuckeyeCav...

How many of the teams listed did you name that are playing teams that are out of confernece in weeks 4 - 10? You haven't even got a clue to how hard it is to schedule games during those weeks. There are very few independant schools across the state and even fewer in southeastern Ohio. When you have a league with an odd numbers of teams, then each team has a floating open date during the conference season that must be filled or you only have 9 games. Many of the TVC Ohio teams struggled to find competitive teams during those open weeks. Alot of times, they scheduled games against much smaller teams i.e. Athens vs Wahama. Then folks like you, who haven't got a clue get on here and bash ADs for trying to find a tenth game for their teams. Out of conference games in the TVC Ohio for weeks 4 - 10. Remember, we have a floating open date for all teams because we have an odd number of teams.

week 4
V.C. vs Waverly
week 5
Alexander vs Fed Hock
week 6
Meigs vs Warren
week 7
Belpre vs Zanesville Rosencrans
week 8
Wellston vs Gallia
week 9
NY vs Ironton
week 10
Athens vs Wahama

Only Alex and Athens won their games. Only Meigs and NY got games that they played up in school size. Only Wellston got a game against somebody of their size. Belpre, Alexander, Athens and Vinton all ended up scheduling games that were down in school size. I know we struggled to find a game in week 7.

Yes, you play up to get a crown. You made that point clear in your rant above. Playing down may get you wins, it may get you in the playoffs or a high seed in a sport like basketball, but does it improve your overall program? Look at the teams that come into the playoffs, and not just football, undefeated or with 1 loss and play 1 game and lose. I seem to remember Cheasapeake going undefeated a couple of times in the 1990's in boys basketball and winning the regular season title by the sports writers across the state but never got out of the regionals to state. Did their undefeated season with wins by 30 - 40 points prepare them for the tourney? NO. You have to play teams that are as good as yourself or better to advance your program - most folks understand this - you can't seem to figure it out.

I never said that Athens will be a power in southeastern Ohio football, you did. I did say that Athens could start winning TVC titles in football in a few short years. They will probably start winning most of the TVC Ohio titles in all sports. They will probably start taking home the all sports trophy too. Of course, Belpre won it last year - we tied with Meigs. Funny how the second smallest team in the TVC (Belpre) won the all-sports trophy and has many times before. Why, you ask. Because most of our schedules are against teams that are our size or bigger - we play up when we can. At Belpre, we are a D5 school. Our schedule this year consisted of 2 D6 schools Trimble (8-2) and Zanesville Rosecrans (6-4). 2 D5 schools Fort Frye (3-7) and Nelsonville (8-2). 3 D4 schools Alexander (4-6), Wellston (4-6) and Meigs (8-2). 3 D3 schools Warren (4-6), Vinton (1-9) and Athens (4-6). Even when we or Nelsonville play in conference teams we play up 5 out of 6 games. I am not complainging, put you need to play up to improve your program. Of course, you need to keep a coach more than 3 or 4 years to continue with the building of the foundation.

Route 7 to Pomeroy is a good road. After you get past Pomeroy the road stinks. If RV wants to schedule Belpre in anything, they can call us, we will play them. Since it isn't such a bad drive then I don't see a problem if them coming to our place every year - it is only 43 miles and the road is good. ;-)

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

BlizzardMan wrote:If River Valley had done the right thing, their would be 8 teams in the league.

So many make mistakes, but is it right to hold that against them if they want in the TVC-Ohio?

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

The offer has been on the table at least twice. The OVC is not a good league for them.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Here ya go ... A realistic expansion for the TVC.

Ohio Division:

1. Nelsonville-York
2. Athens
3. Alexander
4. Vinton County
5. Meigs
6. Belpre
7. Wellston
8. River Valley * (Or Warren, but I don't think they will leave the SEOAL)

Hocking Division:

1. Trimble
2. Fed Hock
3. Waterford
4. Eastern
5. Southern
6. Miller
7. Fort Frye **
8. Wahama ** (Why not, they already play almost every hocking school in hoops and play almost 3 to 4 teams in football from Ohio every year.)

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

What about South Gallia in the Hocking?

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

93Bulldog wrote:Here ya go ... A realistic expansion for the TVC.

Ohio Division:

1. Nelsonville-York
2. Athens
3. Alexander
4. Vinton County
5. Meigs
6. Belpre
7. Wellston
8. River Valley * (Or Warren, but I don't think they will leave the SEOAL)

Hocking Division:

1. Trimble
2. Fed Hock
3. Waterford
4. Eastern
5. Southern
6. Miller
7. Fort Frye **
8. Wahama ** (Why not, they already play almost every hocking school in hoops and play almost 3 to 4 teams in football from Ohio every year.)

Here is who I would have. Forget Warren, they have already been told by the TVC-Ohio to forget it.

Ohio Division:

1. Nelsonville-York
2. Athens
3. Alexander
4. Vinton County
5. Meigs
6. Belpre
7. Wellston
8. River Valley **

Hocking Division:

1. Trimble
2. Fed Hock
3. Waterford
4. Eastern
5. Southern
6. Miller
7. South Gallia **
8. Wahama, WV **

Denotes: Added Teams to the TVC

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Really, what does River Valley bring to the table for the TVC Ohio?

Since 2002 they are 4-17 against TVC Ohio teams. 2 of those 4 wins are against Alexander who has a 4-2 record against RV and RV is a D4 school so it is not like they are playing up in terms of school size when they play TVC Ohio teams.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

Mister B,

Oh, like Alexander D4 has a great record in the TVC-Ohio in football? What have they brought to the table in football? And they are a member within the TVC-Ohio. Your point? I am sure you don't want a Warren Local in the TVC-Ohio that would be 17-4 instead of a 4-17 record or worse, a Marietta that would be 21-0 against the TVC-Ohio teams would you? I am sure that the TVC-Ohio can forget Warren, since they were told so last year. I don't see the four from the western half of the TVC-Ohio voting for the Warriors to come back. That is Alexander, Meigs, Wellston and Vinton County :!: :-D

Sorry......but River Valley is the only option at the present. I believe in time, they would be able to compete. Remember the TVC-Ohio has more sports than football.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

BlizzardMan wrote:The offer has been on the table at least twice. The OVC is not a good league for them.

just wondering.......... why is ovc ont good league fro rv

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

mister b please explain the difference between rt 7n of pomroy and rt 7 s of pomeroy

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

theassassin wrote:
BlizzardMan wrote:The offer has been on the table at least twice. The OVC is not a good league for them.

just wondering.......... why is ovc ont good league fro rv

theassassin,

I think it has to do with the travel River Valley has to drive within the OVC. Rather than, the travel they would have if the Raiders were in the TVC-Ohio Division.

theassassin wrote:mister b please explain the difference between rt 7n of pomroy and rt 7 s of pomeroy

theassassin,

Yeah.....I was amazed at that statement to. Like Rt. 7 is totally a different road past Pomeroy.

Yeah Right. :roll: :lol:

What I think Mister B's real concern about letting River Valley in the TVC-Ohio is, not the sport of football, but it has to do with something else. Like mentioned, it does not concern football, but rather that roundball sport. ;-)

Having another TVC-Ohio competitive team being added into the Conference just might disrupt the Eagles chances in roundball and take away any means for them to win this sport as much, outside of the Vinton County.....Vikings. :aaaaa93 ;-)

But what's even more funny is, he would promote Warren Local to re-enter the Conference who would totally dominate in most sports, to include basketball, one sport the Warriors are great at. But because his Eagles can defeat Warren once in a while in.....football, I guess that's O.K. I wonder if its because Warren Local is in Washington County and Belpre plays them in non-conference, 23 years after the Warriors left the TVC? Who knows?

Mister B would rather disrupt the cycle of the TVC-Ohio and invite a team or...... team(s) LIKE THEM, i.e., Warren Local and Marietta...who would eventually disrupt the way of life in the Rural Conference, and......... possibly have teams exit the TVC-Ohio because of it. That is, if there were actually larger teams invited into the TVC-Ohio that would dominate all the other teams. And, not just in football, but in all sports.

If Belpre was such a powerhouse in football and Mister B states playing up breeds champions, then my question is, why doesn't his Eagles play the likes of: Wheelersburg D5, Amanda Clearcreek D5, Ironton D4, Newark Catholic D6, West Jefferson D5, Crooksville D5, Westfall D4, Trimble D6, Portsmouth West D5, Coal Grove D5, Point Plesent, WV, Class AA and Gallipolis D4 on a regular basis in NON-CONFERENCE Play?

River Valley would be a more balanced team to let in the TVC-Ohio for all sports, unlike what Warren Local would do to the Conference.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

theassassin wrote:mister b please explain the difference between rt 7n of pomroy and rt 7 s of pomeroy

The drive on RT 7 South of Pomeroy is not as good of a drive as it is on RT 7 North. IMHO.

BuckeyeCAV...

Since this is a football forum, again I ask...

What does River Valley bring to the table that the TVC would want? I have pointed out their failure to be competitive against TVC Ohio teams to the tune of a 4-17 record since 2002. Since the 2004 season they are 1-14 against the TVC Ohio.

Since the 2004 season they have the following records...

2004 2-8. A win against 0-10 D5 Southeastern and 2-8 D4 Southpoint.

2005 1-9. A win against 0-10 D5 Southeastern.

2006 1-9. A win against 1-9 D5 Southeastern.

2007 1-9. A win against 3-7 D4 Alexander.

2008 3-7. A win against 0-10 D4 Rock Hill and 3-7 D6 Eastern and 5-5 D6 Waterford.

In 5 years they have compiled a record of 8-42 with 3 wins against schools of their size D4 with a 5-25 record, 3 wins against a D5 school (Southeastern) with a record of 1-29 and 2 wins against 2 different D6 schools with a combined record of 8-12.

If you are concerned about who Belpre plays, the combined record of our teams this year was 50-50. We played 2 teams that were smaller than us, D6 Trimble (8-2) and D6 Zanesville Rosencrans (6-4). 2 games of teams our size D5 Fort Frye (3-7) and Nelsonville (8-2). 3 games against D4 Alexander (4-6), Wellston (4-6) and Meigs (8-2). 3 games against D3 Warren (4-6), Vinton County (1-9) and Athens (4-6).

Now tell us about River Valley's football schedule. As for other sports, I or for that matter, nobody else at Belpre is worried about the other sports. You win some and you lose some, boys and girls. I doubt River Valley would present much of a problem for us in basketball, even with your new coach on the boys team. You can have our cast-offs.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

Mister B wrote:

The drive on RT 7 South of Pomeroy is not as good of a drive as it is on RT 7 North. IMHO.

BuckeyeCAV...

Since this is a football forum, again I ask...

What does River Valley bring to the table that the TVC would want? I have pointed out their failure to be competitive against TVC Ohio teams to the tune of a 4-17 record since 2002. Since the 2004 season they are 1-14 against the TVC Ohio.

Since the 2004 season they have the following records...

2004 2-8. A win against 0-10 D5 Southeastern and 2-8 D4 Southpoint.

2005 1-9. A win against 0-10 D5 Southeastern.

2006 1-9. A win against 1-9 D5 Southeastern.

2007 1-9. A win against 3-7 D4 Alexander.

2008 3-7. A win against 0-10 D4 Rock Hill and 3-7 D6 Eastern and 5-5 D6 Waterford.

In 5 years they have compiled a record of 8-42 with 3 wins against schools of their size D4 with a 5-25 record, 3 wins against a D5 school (Southeastern) with a record of 1-29 and 2 wins against 2 different D6 schools with a combined record of 8-12.

If you are concerned about who Belpre plays, the combined record of our teams this year was 50-50. We played 2 teams that were smaller than us, D6 Trimble (8-2) and D6 Zanesville Rosencrans (6-4). 2 games of teams our size D5 Fort Frye (3-7) and Nelsonville (8-2). 3 games against D4 Alexander (4-6), Wellston (4-6) and Meigs (8-2). 3 games against D3 Warren (4-6), Vinton County (1-9) and Athens (4-6).

Now tell us about the schedule of River Valley's football schedule. As for other sports, I or for that matter, nobody else at Belpre is worried about the other sports. You win some and you lose some, boys and girls. I doubt River Valley would present much of a problem for us in basketball, even with your new coach on the boys team. You can have our cast-offs.

It's a Rural and Small Town Conference. Sorry, but River Valley is your only option at the present for the 8th team. Not many will vote for Warren Local to re-enter the TVC-Ohio Division. And Rt. 7 South is no worse than Rt. 7 North.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Did I mention that Belpre is 4-3 against Warren in the last 7 years and we lead the series by about 8 games?

Did I also mention that Warren is rural school in southeastern Ohio?

Why is everyone so afraid of them?

bluetraveler
Riding the Bench

Post by bluetraveler »

Mister B ,just for kicks i drove from Meigs HS to RV HS took 12 mins driving the sped limit with no traffic.Sorry life in Belpre is so crazy that 24 min round trip would make such a difference.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

bluetraveler wrote:Mister B ,just for kicks i drove from Meigs HS to RV HS took 12 mins driving the sped limit with no traffic.Sorry life in Belpre is so crazy that 24 min round trip would make such a difference.

do you see any difference in rt 7 to cheshire and rt 7 to eastern hs?

ive driven that route a few times and dont see any difference between the two lane north or south of pomeroy.... imo mister b is grasping for straws

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

Mister B wrote:Did I mention that Belpre is 4-3 against Warren in the last 7 years and we lead the series by about 8 games?

Did I also mention that Warren is rural school in southeastern Ohio?

Why is everyone so afraid of them?

.... and warrens record during that time is:
02 0-10
03 0-10
04 2-8
05 1-9
06 3-7 beat belpre
07 3-7 beat belpre
08 4-6 beat belpre

Return to “Football”