When Will They Ever Learn...

morganjones
Riding the Bench

When Will They Ever Learn...

Post by morganjones »

With the departure of the Vinton County head coach after one year, we have yet another example of a district experiencing xenophilia and hiring a "Way Outsider" to come in and "fix our football problem."

The carpetbagger rolls in, impresses some folks with great talk about how he will change things, then realizes that there's another opportunity back closer to home, or to the wife's home, or where it just isn't going to be as hard to turn something else around, or where the pay is just better. One or two years and out the door...

It has happened at a whole bunch of schools in the region recently: Fairland, Portsmouth, VC... and that's just a quick list. I'm sure there are more, and I'm sure there are examples where outsiders have stuck it out and made a difference.

But it sure seems to happen a lot.

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: When Will They Ever Learn...

Post by loganlocos »

I believe the coach is moving FARTHER away from his home town than he was in McArthur.

Also, I think the job he's taking on is even harder than the VC job FWIW.

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

morganjones wrote:With the departure of the Vinton County head coach after one year, we have yet another example of a district experiencing xenophilia and hiring a "Way Outsider" to come in and "fix our football problem."

The carpetbagger rolls in, impresses some folks with great talk about how he will change things, then realizes that there's another opportunity back closer to home, or to the wife's home, or where it just isn't going to be as hard to turn something else around, or where the pay is just better. One or two years and out the door...

It has happened at a whole bunch of schools in the region recently: Fairland, Portsmouth, VC... and that's just a quick list. I'm sure there are more, and I'm sure there are examples where outsiders have stuck it out and made a difference.

No, they won't learn nor change. Some guy walks in with a catchy nickname and statements like, "I can get kids to run through brick walls..." and these interview committees eat it up. Then they say something like, "I want to coach my last game here if you people will give me the opportunity..." Then a year, or two or maybe three it's, "I just really want to watch my kids play...." Or I've always had a dream of coaching at ..." Or in this case just don't tell anyone anything and accept another job. But to answer your question again, no they won't learn that a good used car salesman doesn't always make a loyal coach.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

loganlocos wrote:I believe the coach is moving FARTHER away from his home town than he was in McArthur.

How dare you crash the pity party with facts and rationality.

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

It is unfortunate but Education/Coaching is a business. This part of the process I understand. Now, the idea of hiring of people simply because they are from outside the area and/or they played at University XYZ is beyond me!

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

formerfcfan wrote:
loganlocos wrote:I believe the coach is moving FARTHER away from his home town than he was in McArthur.

How dare you crash the pity party with facts and rationality.
Not sure what you are referring to as "pity party" but here are some facts for you. The guy came in with grandiose plans and ideas. He claimed he wanted to finish his career at VC. He then decided to apply for, interview for, and accept a job at a different school all in secrecy after only one season at VC. So the guy has to be an absolutely outstanding interview to be offered that job with the other school knowing what he did. I wouldn't have hired him. But, what ever "rationality" he uses to justify this he leaves with absolutely no credibility IMHO.

morganjones
Riding the Bench

Post by morganjones »

Maybe the Appalachian inability to grasp anything beyond the literal chased him away...

It's a conceptual thought/question/observation, not a specific description of the case. The point was that there is SO MANY EXAMPLES of situations where something pulls or pushes an outsider away... The outsider's ties to the new job are not strong enough to overcome all the other things that other places have to offer or all the negative facets of the current job.

morganjones
Riding the Bench

Post by morganjones »

I'm pretty sure that the only part of the original post which applies to VC is...
With the departure of the Vinton County head coach after one year, we have yet another example

morganjones
Riding the Bench

Post by morganjones »

Who knows, maybe just living in Mercer County is more appealing than living in Vinton County to some people? You never know until you try it, right?

The "sudden" departure after less than a full year in the area tells me that he or somebody in the household started looking around and said, "What the Hell have you gotten us into?"

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

morganjones wrote:With the departure of the Vinton County head coach after one year, we have yet another example of a district experiencing xenophilia and hiring a "Way Outsider" to come in and "fix our football problem."

The original post clearly says "with the departure of VC coach, we have another example of a carpetbagger rolling in, impressing folks, then moves"

I mean, if the point isn't about VC, why even mention VC? If we're having a rational discussion, why talk about "xenophobia" when a school decides to hire someone who isn't a "local boy"?

How many times do "local boys" end up failing at schools? My guess is MORE often than "outsiders". Most hiring is done by schools with struggling programs since schools who have success tend to not hire coaches often.

FWIW - both Logan, Jackson, and Nelsonville-York have had local legends resign under pressure in the last 10 years. At the first two, "outsiders" have turned the program around.

Bringdanoise
Riding the Bench

Post by Bringdanoise »

Look at the situation from last year with this hire. He was the 4th or 5th choice for that job. VC is getting exactly what they deserve.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dundas - offensive coordinator
Hawkeye - defensive coordinator
Ty Webb - head coach!

problem solved

lol

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

93Bulldog wrote:Dundas - offensive coordinator
Hawkeye - defensive coordinator
Ty Webb - head coach!

problem solved

lol
Dundas can't be offensive coordinator..... They banned the A-11 lol

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

When a "carpetbagger" comes in and does a good job, no one says a peep.

When a "carpetbagger" comes in and leaves after a year, or doesn't do well, they're the worst people in the world.

I love HS sports.

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

formerfcfan wrote:When a "carpetbagger" comes in and does a good job, no one says a peep.

When a "carpetbagger" comes in and leaves after a year, or doesn't do well, they're the worst people in the world.

I love HS sports.
Which ones have done a good job?

Return to “Football”