Defending against the double-wing

boogerred
All State

Defending against the double-wing

Post by boogerred »

Next scenario: You are facing a team that has undersized players across the board, so their coach decides to run the double wing.

They have run the tradition plays of the double-wing will a heavy emphasis on the super power and the waggle off it.
The running back is a hard but not fast runner.
The quarterback is not very accurate but is fast and has the ability to chuck the ball 60 yards and he has wheels.

How do you defend against this team

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Re: Defending against the double-wing

Post by The Riepo Man »

Well first off no matter what defense you get in I would try to designate a quarterback spy.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Some teams have tried to use their d-linemen to cut out the o linemen's leg.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Blitz and get your LBs in the backfield to disrupt the handoffs. You can run your base D you just need to Blitz more.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

to stop the double wing you need 2 stud D ends who are able to take on a pulling guard at the point of attack. If they are disciplined and able to keep from getting kicked out or hooked by the tight end, the jet sweeps and counters won't work. Stop those, and you stop the double wing. West runs a basic 5-2. This seams to be a very good defense for stop the double wing. DE's and the 3 interior lineman filling the cutback lanes. 2 safeties to sneak up on run support also.

One thing about the double wing or wing T is it allows you an extra second of pass coverage by making the defense hesitate by faking the counters on play action. Chesapeake does this very well. The backside wing or TE is able to sneak down the middle of the field because everyone is staring at the playaction.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Peake does run that well!They also do a thing that we always called "PHASE"where the wing back on either side goes in motion and they option out of it!They would always hit you several times with the fullback and then try to run that option play out on the edge at ya!

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Boogerred:

When you say "double wing" are you talking about this:

or this:

or this:

There seems to be some confusion; many do not know the difference between the three philosophies and tend to lump them all together.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I am talking about the Hugh Wyatt Double-wing.

I thought the term "Super Power" would have let everyone know what I was talking about.

But what do I know?

I was told by someone who is infinitely smarter than me that it was a 'garbage' offense.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Many people have been known to dismiss the Hugh Wyatt Double Wing as a "pee-wee league offense."

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

... until a team running it smashes them!

earp
S

Post by earp »

Ya the Hugh Wyatt double wing is the true double wing!We kinda got of track there I think talking about Chesapeake!My bad,Peake runs out of wing T,Sorry I think Iam the one that confused it!

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

It's all good.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

pictured above looks like East under Daryl Davis

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Indeed!

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

If your team is very disiplined you should be able to stop it. Say you run a 52 that is based off hit and read, if the line backers read their guards the will be taken straight to ball. The corners will play 3 and 3 off of the tight end and every time the wing blocks down they charge to take on the buck sweep. The safeties can continue to play their 2-under look and split the field, they simply read the tight end (or tackle depending on how it was taught) and play football. As for the T.n.t. they have to play 2-gap and try to create a pile at any double team. If your team isn't this good, their are many variations made to stop the defense, but this is the simplest way without having to teach something new.

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

peake does run more of a T-wing offense. . .
although the past three years alot of triple option has been used. . midline too.. all part of the offense. . but its usually traps, followed by sweeps, and pitch. . all power plays. . .no jet, oh and the ever amazing belly. . .34 belly has gutted teams. . . . . . .we pass off of the traps, and regular drop backs

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Against the Wyatt wing, I think that your primary focuses would be on stopping the SUPERPOWER and the COUNTER-TRAP off of that look. You might think about stuffing both A-gaps to try and limit the WEDGE.

If you could force a DW team to pass, you might be at an advantage, because passing is not likely to be such an offense's forte.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Just play good disiplined D

Return to “Football”