Coach Jay Circosta gets win #300

Steely Dan
SEOP

Coach Jay Circosta gets win #300

Post by Steely Dan »

Congratulations to Chief Jay on his 300th win tonight. Jay started his head coaching career at Woodsfield High School in the fall of 1970 and has been a fixture with the program for the last 41 years. He continues to rack up victories at Monroe Central.

Congratulations to Coach Circosta, the players, the community, and to Donna Circosta, for being there all these years supporting her husband, the players, the parents, the cheerleaders, the band, and the community.

Here's to many more wins, and best of luck to the Monroe Central Seminoles as they host their first round playoff game at beautiful Monroe Memorial Park in Woodsfield next week!

selonmc
Varsity

Re: Coach Jay Circosta gets win #300

Post by selonmc »

Congrats Coach C. I don't know how old he would have been in 1970, but I would imagine in his mid 20s. Not many coaching jobs went to such young guys back then. Not many go to 20-somethings today. Kudos to whomever had the foresight back then to take a chance on a young, no-name assistant. And thanks Coach for sticking around all these years when clearly you had to have had many offers over the years to leave.

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

Congratulations!

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

I believe coach C graduated from Shadyside somewhere around 64 or 65..... I remember him being the catcher for the Shadyside civics back in the late 60's.... I knew his brother Rob back then and we played a few rounds of golf together... His parents owned the Bellaire bowling alley... All were real good people back in the day... Congrats Coach C..... Just wonder if Shadyside was ever interested in him in the later years of his career.....

NorthernLight
Freshman Team

Post by NorthernLight »

Congratulations Coach on win #300, I hope you have a few more this season and many more in the future..
I'm happy to say that I was part of a few of these wins.

1977-(6-4)
1978-(9-1)
1979-(7-2-1)
1980-(9-1)
------------------
Total 31-8-1 for my four years.

Any yes I was a starter in every one of these games.

For Leroy and SteelyDan, brings back a few memories?

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

You've got it brother. Only thing missing is my VW sitting in the grass, after you guys carried it across the street and sat it in front of the flag pole.

What great memories in that building, some of the best times in my young life..........

And that's because NL's 66 Dodge Polara convertible just weighed a little bit more than my Bug, aka the "giraffe" (yellow paint with brown primer spots). LOL!

selonmc
Varsity

Post by selonmc »

NorthernLight wrote:Congratulations Coach on win #300, I hope you have a few more this season and many more in the future..
I'm happy to say that I was part of a few of these wins.

1977-(6-4)
1978-(9-1)
1979-(7-2-1)
1980-(9-1)
------------------
Total 31-8-1 for my four years.

Any yes I was a starter in every one of these games.

For Leroy and SteelyDan, brings back a few memories?

Although I hated that building and wished for something more modern while I was there... it's sad that it is being torn down next spring because it's always been there. Like a missing front tooth Woodsfield will look different without it. It did have a lot of character along with a lot of asbestos.

Chieftain
Varsity

Post by Chieftain »

Someone tell Jay it time to hang it up and smell the flowers........lol

Got my first Head job at 25 in 1969. Met Jay a few years later as Woodsfield was added to Rosecrans schedule as a PVL school. Had many a memorable game with them( Woodsfield used to be an absolute MUD BOWL) and one stands out. Scoreless tie with mud two-three inches deep. Finally called one of the few passes we threw and hit a 60 yd post pattern bomb for a score, 7-0. That was the winner.

Saw Jay just a few years ago in Youngstown when he brought the team to a YSU game and he said then he was thinking about hanging it up. Who the he11 does he think he is ? Paterno ? LOL !

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Paladin - You and I know that he's young at heart, to this day. He's lived a blessed life and had relished what he loves to do, coaching football. Woodsfield has been very fortunate to have the Circosta family as part of the community for 40+ years, it is their home. Donna was my second grade teacher, Jay was one of my teachers in high school. They both seem to make a point to come say hello when I make it to a Monroe Central game. After all these years, that is quite meaningful to me.

Jay lives and breathes HS football, I honestly don't see him hanging it up anytime soon........

NorthernLight
Freshman Team

Post by NorthernLight »

To quote my classmate, colleague, and comrade SteelyDan, "Jay lives and breathes HS football." Kind of like all of us on this open forum.

We have Coach down here in North Carolina (Northen Guilford Nighthawks) named Johnny Roscoe who has been coaching HS football for 40 yrs. His compiled record from North Carolina and South Carolina is 261-152-1. Winning a State Championship in SC and last year here at Northern (3AA). The school at Northern has been in existence for four years. Coach Roscoe's record here is 45-6, and currently in the playoffs with a 9-1 record. Not taking nothing away from Paladin, but there are some who have it and some who don't.

Image Goodluck in playoffs Seminoles!

Image Goodluck in playoffs

Return to “Football”