Best Jackson Ironmen Quarterbacks Past 20 Years

Do-Your-Job
Riding the Bench

Re: Best Jackson Ironmen Quarterbacks Past 20 Years

Post by Do-Your-Job »

Ironman92 wrote:Tipton should've had the chance.

I can't recall individual statistics enough to say the best game.

Oh come on I-92, I wasn't asking for a box score, just memories of great games these QB's had. I bet Ironman02 steps up here!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

02 is more apt to list 50+ members of the band for each of the past 20 years.

As for the individual games???? Jackson hasn't been much of a passing team and the rushing yards of the QB has greatly depended on the surrounding talent.

Morgan never had a great receiver until his senior season (and we know how much Blackstone passed) During his senior season he and Ryan Reed connected on some of the most spectacular plays I've witnessed.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Hilarious story about Joey at Rio. I can just see him doing that. I can probably tell you of 50+ instances where I wanted to break band instruments because they blocked my view of the football game at the old stadium.

Do-Your-Job,

I think the Withrow performance was Jared's best. As you said, he did absolutely everything that night and just refused to let the Ironmen lose. I remember that he had a great game against Marietta in 2004 in a losing effort. I believe he had about 230 yards rushing, more than 300 total yards, and 4 or 5 TDs. He also picked off a pass on the last play of regulation at his own 15 or 20, proceeded to weave through Marietta players down to their 30 or so, where he then lateraled the ball to Travis Huff. The lateral was a little low, causing Travis' knee to touch the ground. He had nothing but wide open field in front of him. Had he caught the lateral clean, that play would have been legendary. The game that you mentioned against Athens his junior year was great, as were his games against Logan in 2003 and 2004.

My favorite regular season memory of Jared was at Logan in 2004. I believe the game was tied 7-7 late in the 3rd quarter. Logan had gained some momentum and the game seemed to be turning in their favor. Jackson had a 3rd and 14 from near midfield. What was the call? Midline option (haha) and Jared kept it. Made one move and took it the distance for the TD. You could just hear the entire Logan crowd groan. Jackson took the lead 14-7 and would late go ahead 21-7 on a great call where Jared found Brenton Wayland for a TD.

I have a lot of great memories of Joey as well, but one really sticks out in my mind. Jackson was hosting Point Pleasant in 1996 in the final game of the season to go 10-0. Joey rolled out and kept it, running straight through a Point DB for a TD. The kid was expecting Joey to put a move on him, but he just lowered his shoulder and destroyed him. The DB got up shaking his head and having no idea where he was at. Someone in the crowd yelled, "He'll be back for more" and kid started talking trash back. Later in the game, same situation, and the same DB is one on one in the open field with Joey. The kid practically laid down to avoid contact and Joey walked into the end zone and you could hear him laughing. It was great.

"The Run" by Tipton was awesome. I about lost my mind I was so excited when he scored. I think that actually tied the game at 21-21, so it was a huge play at that time. Can't forget that he played that game with a separated shoulder also. I would have liked to have seen Ryan play QB for more than just one year, but he made the most of it that season.

My memories of Mike aren't that clear. I was only 7 or 8 when he played his final season, but I've seen plenty of game film. It's not the same as watching in person though, so nothing really sticks out in my mind right now. I do remember that there was this field near my great-grandparents house. During holidays, Michael would always go outside and play football or other sports with my cousins and I. He showed off his arm strength by throwing a football completely across that field. It had to be 60+ yards (felt like 100 at that time), which is a pretty good throw for anyone, not to mention a 16 or 17 year old kid.

Do-Your-Job
Riding the Bench

Post by Do-Your-Job »

Great post as always Ironman02. In order to recall some big games from Morgan, we would probably need a poster who graduated from Jackson around, oh I don't know, somewhere around 1992. Do you know anybody who might fit that category?

I'll have to mention another great QB game in the history of Jackson football. Michael Holdren against Wellston in 2001. Holdren would end up down the list of QB's the last 20 years, but that streak against Wellston might not be where it is today if he didn't have the game of his life against Wellston. He complemented the power of Swisher that game and ran the option very nice. I seem to recall him scoring a TD in the 4th quarter to take the lead for good. He had quite a few rushing yards that game and a couple TD passes. I'm guessing you remember that game Ironman02?

Also, Ironman02, what do you think was the best halftime show you've ever seen?

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I remember the 2001 Wellston game very well. Holdren was definitely amazing that night and without his performance, the streak certainly could have ended. I was so proud of Michael that night, as well as the rest of the seniors.

Ironman92 has started a terrible mess with this band/halftime stuff. I cringe at the thought of people taking him seriously.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Do-Your-Job

Kiss-My-Butt......lol just kidding, I can't remember multiple details and stats from 1988-1991. Morgan was awesome. I'll give what I can about his play. He was the best at the deep out passes of all Jackson QBs I've seen but again, you never saw it until his senior year. His most common pass was probably an over the middle tight pass to TE/WR Brad Landrum. He could put it between 2 or 3 defenders where only Brad could catch it...and almost always Brad did. Morgan did a good amount of running on fakes to RB or keepers and he was a horse to bring down with exceptional speed. I remember a few 60 yard runs his final 2 seasons to spark big wins....but the details of who and when just aren't there.

Growing up on the other side of the hill from him we always played 2 hand touch in the street or his backyard...but he always wanted to play tackle, we weren't having any of that. Those that could catch him on occasion couldn't tackle him and those that could occasionally tackle him could never catch him.

The greatest play from QB to receiver I've seen was Morgan scrambling late in the game and down by less than 7, he heaved a pass from midfield to the very back of the endzone to a triple covered Ryan Reed and Reed did almost exactly what Santonio Holmes did to win the Super Bowl.....except Morgan threw it 55-60 yards instead of 20-25 by Roethlisberger......and the 3 defenders looked to be in postin just like the Cardinals secondary.....but Morgan lofted it in perfectly and Reed joined the greatest throw I've seen by Jackson with the greatest reception I've seen by Jackson. It was a home game in 1991 and heading towards Vaughn St...corner of the endzone nearest the old HS.

That's the best I can do Mr Job. I'm more knowledgeable on MLB statistics....not as sharp as 02 is about flute solos of the 1870's in Western Sicily....but pretty knowledgeable.

Do-Your-Job
Riding the Bench

Post by Do-Your-Job »

Good post Ironman92. I was just trying to get the best out of you. I know you can't let Ironman02 show you up. I did hear from a solid source that Ironman02 went nuts when the band used to do script Ohio. My source told me that you didn't talk to Ironman02 about the first half until both bands were done performing at halftime. If you knew my source, you wouldn't question me on this.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

02 is still chapped that I was closer on the single game rushing record of Wolford.

During one of the script OHIO performances he became teary and started wailing "why can't I dot the "I"?

As for game details....02 is far more tedious than I and I always go off of memory.....which often fails me.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

You guys are really hoping that you'll get me to post my true feelings about the band, but it's not going to happen. There are enough people in Jackson that already hate me because of what I post on here...I don't need to add to that list. The creativity does make me laugh, though.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

After you were cut on the golf team for illegal balls you joined the band for 1 or 2 years if I remember correctly. I've only witnessed Beth Howe and the Buescher girl from Wellston being better at the baton.

Though the velvet pants were haunting.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Wow. How are you coming up with this stuff? lol

Let's just talk about QBs.

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

Last year I was asked by Coach Wolford to put together a brief highlight film that he could show before his meeting with the junior high kids. I gave him two. This is the second one. (the first one was 2007 and a highlight of every Jackson SEOAL MVP since 1960)

I selected the plays by asking a few people "What was you favorite play in Jackson history?" Here's the results

1990 Mike Morgan option-keeper to beat Nelsonville-York
1996 Joey Boggs keeper against Vinton County
1996 Shane Wolford option against Vinton County
1996 Chris Daniels kick-off coverage against Athens
1998 Casey Chamberlain keeper against River Valley
1999 Vince Jenkins kick-off return against Point Pleasant
2000 Ryan Tipton scramble against Gallia Academy
2003 Michael Brown hit against Wellston (times 3)
2003 Jared Humphreys keeper against Marietta
2003 T.J. McDonald 36 Wham Blast for a TD against Mt. Healthy
2004 Humphreys to Randy Fisher to beat Withrow
2005 Marcus Boggs mid-line keep against Ironton
2008 Cody Huff run at Vinton County

enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdzFWWBR2co

(Former) Coach Dugan

P.S. in the original I had a song in the background, the song is copyrighted so it is muted on youtube

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Great video. Thanks for posting that.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Awesome.......after watching I remember most of them.

The kickoff return by Vince Jenkins slipped my mind........that was unbelievable!

The run by joey Boggs may be the best regular play highlight.....WOW

and the video confirmed the great speed of Michael Morgan....he just is in another gear and pulling away.

Do-Your-Job
Riding the Bench

Post by Do-Your-Job »

Great videos. The Tipton run was even better than I described. Has to be quite a few to chose from with Shane Wolford and Humphreys. I would love to see some video from the playoff games in '96 against Hillsboro and Desalles. I remember T.J. Turner being a one-man wrecking crew against us for Hillsboro. And one of the most exciting TD's EVER for Jackson had to be Jay Blakenship running the fumble back against DeSalles to give the Ironmen a 7-0 third quarter lead. I remember thinking that we were going to pull the upset after that score. One of the biggest 'what if's' for me as a sports fan is what if Jackson could've been completely healthy and held on for that win against DeSalles. You might've seen the Ironmen play in the state title game that season.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

impressive video...... amazing kickoff return by jenkins, boggs cutback nice to.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ttt.....10 years later but if you are a Jackson Ironmen fan, it delivers

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

LOL. I just realized this thread was 10 years old. I was about to call out the "Ironmans (92 and 02)" about the lack of Sexton on this list. I mean that dude won a LOT of football games in red and white. I'm sure there have been others who I've forgotten over this era as well.

Also - that video (and the Top 10 Humphreys runs) are both awesome. I just subscribed to your channel. Lots of good SE Ohio football memories there.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

loganlocos wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:27 am LOL. I just realized this thread was 10 years old. I was about to call out the "Ironmans (92 and 02)" about the lack of Sexton on this list. I mean that dude won a LOT of football games in red and white. I'm sure there have been others who I've forgotten over this era as well.

Also - that video (and the Top 10 Humphreys runs) are both awesome. I just subscribed to your channel. Lots of good SE Ohio football memories there.
Yeah...the last 10 years and Hunter Sexton and Austin Osborne bust way up into the top 5. Hall was very good and Icenhower can go at it this year.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:15 am
Yeah...the last 10 years and Hunter Sexton and Austin Osborne bust way up into the top 5. Hall was very good and Icenhower can go at it this year.
I couldn't think of Osborne's name! Look forward to seeing Icenhower week 3.

Return to “Football”