D VI R23 Qtrs: South Gallia (7-3) at Buckeye Central (8-2)

Sggrad06
Varsity

D VI R23 Qtrs: South Gallia (7-3) at Buckeye Central (8-2)

Post by Sggrad06 »

The rebels hit the road. Almost to lake Erie. Thoughts?

Sggrad06
Varsity

Re: South gallia (7-3) at buckeye central (8-2)

Post by Sggrad06 »

194 miles is the shortest distance I have found. Right up through columbus and almost to tiffin college. It's above Mansfield and Marion. Sounds like a long road trip.

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

Make it all count and bring home the WIN.Good luck SG.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Central from the little I have gathererd on them is very good and I look for this one to be their game,35-13.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Might sound strange ,but when that many miles are involved they shouldn't have a home game.

allaces1
Freshman Team

Post by allaces1 »

Maybe SG should go up the night before.

JHS08
Waterboy

Post by JHS08 »

How are these 2 even in the same region? Lake Erie down to Crown City seems like a huge region

Hercules
JV Team

Post by Hercules »

I would love to see the team be able to go up on Thursday and spend the night!!! But seriously doubt that the GCLSB would allow this...Missing a day of school for something as unimportant as a sporting event??? They cant let that happen!!! I know that there are a couple of huge sports fans on the board, they are just outnumbered!!!

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Good Luck SG, From Trimble

allaces1
Freshman Team

Post by allaces1 »

We play on Saturday...not Friday.

Hercules
JV Team

Post by Hercules »

Sorry!! Didn't realize that they played on Saturday!! Still seriously doubt the school board will let them go up on Friday!! But if they do post on here and I'll try to get some money together for your trip!!!

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Congratulations Rebels.

-- Dan Polcyn

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

Post by Mercerville Monster »

Bad thing is, the OHSAA will pay a certain amount per kid for them to stay in a hotel since it is so far away and they still probably won't let them do it.

Does anyone have any info on Central? I know one game this year their QB had a 300 yards passing game but that's about it.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Congrats to your rebels Monster.... Gallia had a long trip when my son played... Although we played on Fri most of the team stayed at a hotel after the game, so maybe that would be your best call.... Going through Columbus on a Fri night would not be a good experience....LOL... Going to the Play-off Finals this year????

Sggrad06
Varsity

Post by Sggrad06 »

Found some info on the buckeye central bucks online. This is a preview from the beginning of the season.

NEW WASHINGTON - Buckeye Central's football team made huge strides last season, winning five more games than the year prior and earning a berth in the Division VI playoffs.

Factor in the Bucks only lose six seniors and one has to assume another trip to the playoffs is in the works.

Not so fast, says fourth-year coach Jason Ratliff.

"People like to look at what you did last year and that's not always the case," Ratliff said of expectations. "We can't overlook anybody and take for granted that we're going back. I've told the kids, 'Last year is over. We have to focus on this year and work hard.'"

While Buckeye Central may only lose a half dozen players, four of them were starters and three of them are playing college sports.

"We have some big losses and a large part of our offense," Ratliff said. "Sam Shafer led us in catches (35 grabs for 538 yards, 5 TDs), Alex Finney led us in rushing (933 yards, 13 TDs) and Auston Hood was second in rushing (403 yards), second in receiving (23 catches for 370 yards) and a leader in kickoff returns (averaging a league-high 45.5 yards per return), including three for TDs."

Tack on Josh Wurm, who was a three-year starter on the offensive and defensive lines. Finney also kicked off and punted for the Bucks while Shafer long snapped and snapped for extra points.

Shafer is now a preferred walk-on at Ohio State University for baseball while Finney and Hood are playing football at Wilmington College and Notre Dame College of Ohio, respectively.

But what returns is pretty special, including 17 letterwinners. One doesn't have to look any further than quarterback to know why this could still be a special group.

Tyler Erwin is a senior and getting looks from a variety of colleges, including some Division I schools, for his play under center. Last year, Erwin didn't make many mistakes, throwing just three interceptions on the year. He threw for 1,811 yards with a 63 percent completion percentage, tossing 22 touchdowns and running for another six while compiling 401 yards rushing.

"Tyler is a great leader. That's been shown as he's been captain the last three years," Ratliff said. "He's a leader in the weight room. He's a role model and has all the intangibles that you want in a player. He's willing to help any player on the team to get better and willing to take the time to improve their skills, but his own skills as well."

Ratliff said the recruitment process won't affect his star.

"The neat thing about Tyler, he's not worried about Tyler. He's more worried about the team and the team's performance," Ratliff said. "He doesn't care about his stats. He'd rather win games than worry about his own stats. That's kind of unique in today's society."

His stats will come though. He returns a letter-laden line in Jacob Zeiter and Jordan Wright at the guards and Chase Finney at center while Bryce Collins will play right tackle and Justin Miller and Ryan Wilfer will rotate at the left tackle.

Two of his key targets return in Justin Herrnstein (497 yards receiving, 8 TDs) and Adam Paynter (292 yards receiving, 5 TDs). Thomas Kaple will look to make an impact at tight end.

Michael Adkins will come in at the fullback spot, coming of a campaign where he rushed for 244 yards (a 6.7 yards per carry average) in limited time. The halfback duties will be split between Chadd Trapp and Alex Baldosser, who both saw a smattering of carries last campaign.

On the other side of the ball, Erwin will also be the leader, where he had 35 tackles and six interceptions as a defensive back. He'll be joined back there by Herrnstein (111 tackles, 2 interceptions) and Kameron Jones.

Austin McDonnell, Finney, Wright, Miller and Collins will man the five-man front BC employs on Friday night. Paynter (99 tackles, 4 sacks) and Adkins (58 1/2 tackles) will chair the linebacker duties with Kaple and Baldosser making the rotation.

"We return a lot of individuals who gained valuable playing time last season," Ratliff said. "We have hardworking players that will do whatever you ask of them for the benefit of the team."

The Bucks don't have to worry about winning the league as much as they have to worry about winning the division, as the North Central Conference splits into small school and big school divisions with the addition of Upper Sandusky and Galion, of the Northern Ohio League of late.

"I expect each division to be very competitive from top to bottom. In the big school division, Wynford is still the team on top and the team that everyone is chasing. Ontario has some unbelievable athletes on their team with lots of playing experience. Galion is new to the league and will be very competitive as well. Bucyrus is always well coached and always prepared, and Upper Sandusky is a very physical football team," Ratliff said. "In the small division, Colonel Crawford has excellent numbers and a great coaching staff. Crestline, Riverdale and Lucas all return very good players as well. It should be a fun and exciting year in both divisions of the NCC this year."

He said big school or small school, the measuring stick is still Wynford.

"Wynford is still the top dog in the conference. I think it's not only our conference, but would be in a lot of conferences in the area," Ratliff said. "What they've done in last several years is amazing. The kids change but the results don't."

The new setup doesn't change the goal for the Bucks.

"The kids want to contend our small school championship and the second goal is to get back to the playoffs," Ratliff said. "We have a little bit of a target on our backs. I hope our kids understand that it's vital to not overlook anybody."

This year Buckeye Central gets shifted to the Southeast Region (23) thanks to redistricting. A playoff berth could mean a three-hour trip to their game unless they hosted.

"We've never gone this way. It's interesting. There are some schools I've never heard of before," Ratliff said of the region. "I think there are some schools in this region that are not as well known.

"They're not your traditional playoff teams. We played Mogadore last year and they've been in the playoffs nearly every year since they've had them."

"We haven't talked much about hosting," he said. "We have to take care of ourselves and the rest will fall into place."

Last year was a special time for the Bucks and Ratliff is hoping the kids hold onto one piece of it: it's not an automatic berth.

"It was a very special time for a lot of kids; a reward for their hard work for the season. Football is a sport that you have to earn your playoff berth and it's a neat experience for the kids to have," Ratliff said. "It's got kids excited. Once you get into the playoffs and play Week 11 when most teams aren't, it's exciting. They set high goals to get back to playoffs.

"They've worked hard in the offseason and in the weight room. We have some of the pieces in place but we have to have everyone in place to make it a very successful year for us."

Sggrad06
Varsity

Post by Sggrad06 »

There some week by week articles about them also on http://www.advertiser-tribune.com/

Went here and searched buckeye central bucks football.

dhs22p
Waterboy

Post by dhs22p »

JHS08 wrote:How are these 2 even in the same region? Lake Erie down to Crown City seems like a huge region

Buckeye Central is no where near Lake Erie. Sure these teams are far apart but this is how every region is.

Rebelcat
All Conference

Post by Rebelcat »

The SG Athletic boosters are sponsoring a Community Pep Rally this Thursday at the Guyan VFD at 6:30 pm. A hog has been donated so there will be a meal @ $5 per plate. All the money raised will go towards the transportation and overnight accommodations for the SG football team. Encourage everyone you know to come join in! We are also accepting donations from local residents and businesses to assist with the effort. It is my understanding that Big Country will be broadcasting the game! If anyone is interested in contributing please send me a private message!

GO REBELS!

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

Post by Mercerville Monster »

superblue wrote:Congrats to your rebels Monster.... Gallia had a long trip when my son played... Although we played on Fri most of the team stayed at a hotel after the game, so maybe that would be your best call.... Going through Columbus on a Fri night would not be a good experience....LOL... Going to the Play-off Finals this year????
I think we plan on driving up Saturday morning and staying the night after the game. It's a long haul but there is a lot of teams right now that would take that long drive rather than getting the basketballs out.

I would like to go back again this year but i guess we will wait and see. I've had a good time the past few years I've went.

nerkfan
JV Team

Post by nerkfan »

I watched Buckeye Central play Ontario in week 8 on Time Warner on demand. Buckeye Central looked pretty good. Ontario a division 4 (8-2) team won the game 28-19.

Return to “Football”