NELSONVILLE-YORK / TRIMBLE CONSOLIDATION ?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Re: NELSONVILLE-YORK / TRIMBLE CONSOLIDATION ?

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

wowhesfast wrote:If it all goes through i would like to see the Logan Nelsonville Rivalry Back. Heck maybe Nelsonville could dump the TVC and come to the SEOAL. That would make the league instantly more competitive. Nelonsville-Trimble combined would just be ridiculous in the TVC. Too good.

Even if NY and Trimble consolidated, it would still be smaller than most SEOAL schools. It would be the third largest TVC school, and about the same size as Gallia Academy in the SEOAL. Only Portsmouth is smaller than Gallia Academy in the SEOAL.

I think a consolidated school should still be in the TVC. The schools are all close in proximity and it would not be too large for the league, as Athens and Vinton County would still each have more students.

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:
wowhesfast wrote:If it all goes through i would like to see the Logan Nelsonville Rivalry Back. Heck maybe Nelsonville could dump the TVC and come to the SEOAL. That would make the league instantly more competitive. Nelonsville-Trimble combined would just be ridiculous in the TVC. Too good.

Even if NY and Trimble consolidated, it would still be smaller than most SEOAL schools. It would be the third largest TVC school, and about the same size as Gallia Academy in the SEOAL. Only Portsmouth is smaller than Gallia Academy in the SEOAL.

I think a consolidated school should still be in the TVC. The schools are all close in proximity and it would not be too large for the league, as Athens and Vinton County would still each have more students.

Yes the Nelsonville school would be a small member of the SEOAL, but it would be strong, more than able to compete in almost any sport. They would especially challenge in football. Although Athens and Vinton are both large they do not have the athletic programs that a combined Nelsonville-Trimble (no offense to my Athens or Vinton friends) program would.

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

WitnessProtection wrote:96,
I agree ... you have some very good ideas from a public relations standpoint, which is extremely important when any talk of consolidation comes up.
In the case of Gallia County Local, I think there were some PR problems as well as some territorial issues.
However, with the continued school funding problems facing Ohio, I can see the day when former Gov. Voinovich's idea of "88 counties, 88 school districts" may become a reality.

88 Counties 88 Districts doesn't sound like a bad idea. It would help solve some many of the funding debates in the big cities as well as out here in the sticks, and eliminate a lot of the unnecessary positions at the bureaucratic levels in the districts, which means more money for actual education of children.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

The new school would be a combination of all of these former schools:

Nelsonville Greyhounds
York Bruins
Carbon Hill Bulldogs
Murray City Miners
Glouster Tomcats
Jacksonville-Trimble Cardinals

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

Those were some small schools back in the day. I mean Carbon Hill. Really :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

wowhesfast wrote:
WitnessProtection wrote:96,
I agree ... you have some very good ideas from a public relations standpoint, which is extremely important when any talk of consolidation comes up.
In the case of Gallia County Local, I think there were some PR problems as well as some territorial issues.
However, with the continued school funding problems facing Ohio, I can see the day when former Gov. Voinovich's idea of "88 counties, 88 school districts" may become a reality.

88 Counties 88 Districts doesn't sound like a bad idea. It would help solve some many of the funding debates in the big cities as well as out here in the sticks, and eliminate a lot of the unnecessary positions at the bureaucratic levels in the districts, which means more money for actual education of children.

88 counties 88 districts doesn't mean anthing has to be consultidated. i just means there is 1 governing body in each county. you would still have counties with 4 or 5 high schools in them. or am i not understanding the 88 and 88??

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

1987chieftians....

You are understanding the "88 counties, 88 school boards" idea. But, it may not be the solution to the problem. West Virginia does it but there are problems within the counties. Look at Wood County, West Virginia. The folks on the southside of Parkersburg (Parkersburg South High) feel that they get secondary everything in terms of education and facilities vs what is given to the northside (Parkersburg High). And, there is some truth to it.

For Ohio to do it, it would mean a change in state law and loss of local control over your local school. Most folks want to keep the local control but want someone else to pay for it.

In this day and age, I don't think consolidation would be done unless at least one of the districts is in danger of going under (the state taking over) and someone paying for major upgrades to facilities to do a consolidation right.

The state took over Cleveland City schools and they are not any better for it.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

In my opinion you could make districts with 10 schools in it that all play each other during the regular season. So for most Divisions you have about 12 districts. This will allow you one week to play your rivalry game with a team if they are not in the same division as you. The travel couldn't be too much further and every school will have the chance to get into the playoffs because they will be playing the 9 closest schools to them in their district and the same size. Then you take the top 2 from each district (24) and 8 at large teams (total 32) and have playoffs from there! Only Division I or VI might have a district or two that doesn't have 10 teams in it. What do you think?

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

ok. so, if a district is going under or feels it would be better off in the long run then they should consultidate. before an outside body takes over and start calling the shots (money wise).
so, if nelsonville and trimble are looking to consultidate. maybe they should hold a town meet between the 2 programs and 1st explain the seasoning beheind the movement. but, all sides have to look at the future of there programs not just worry about the rivalry.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

1987chieftains wrote:ok. so, if a district is going under or feels it would be better off in the long run then they should consultidate. before an outside body takes over and start calling the shots (money wise).
so, if nelsonville and trimble are looking to consultidate. maybe they should hold a town meet between the 2 programs and 1st explain the seasoning beheind the movement. but, all sides have to look at the future of there programs not just worry about the rivalry.

Well the truth is. The only people talking about this are the people on here. Fed hock is the only school in the county that is in real trouble as far as money goes and the state has not told them they have to consolidate with any one. To me that would be a no brainer. So if they aren't going to consolidate then why would NY and Trimble.
You can talk about declinning numbers and money all you want but the state is not going to force consolidate the schools of Athens county or any other in Ohio.
I have spent the last few days talking to a lot of people both down here and in Columbus and none of them have heard any talk of consolidation.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Orange and Brown wrote:
1987chieftains wrote:ok. so, if a district is going under or feels it would be better off in the long run then they should consultidate. before an outside body takes over and start calling the shots (money wise).

Well the truth is. The only people talking about this are the people on here. Fed hock is the only school in the county that is in real trouble as far as money goes and the state has not told them they have to consolidate with any one. To me that would be a no brainer. So if they aren't going to consolidate then why would NY and Trimble.
You can talk about declinning numbers and money all you want but the state is not going to force consolidate the schools of Athens county or any other in Ohio.
I have spent the last few days talking to a lot of people both down here and in Columbus and none of them have heard any talk of consolidation.

thats what kinda caught me off guard when i saw the thread. i didn't know either of them where in trouble of any kind and they are time big rivals. if town schools in athens county would consultidate i wouldn.t have pick those 2. fed hock yes but, who would they consulidate with? athens??

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

1987chieftains wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:

thats what kinda caught me off guard when i saw the thread. i didn't know either of them where in trouble of any kind and they are time big rivals. if town schools in athens county would consultidate i wouldn.t have pick those 2. fed hock yes but, who would they consulidate with? athens??

If it came down to it, I think that would be the logical choice. But the people in that(Fed Hock) District would fight tooth and nail against it. They are in trouble but the love there Lancers!!!!!!

King of Kings
Freshman Team

Post by King of Kings »

Consolidation does not fix the school funding issue. The bottom line is we do not have enough votes in Southeastern Ohio for the state legislature to give a dam about us. Having bigger schools that is underfunded is the only thing I can see happening out of this. Some on here have claimed that admistration cost will be saved. However, how many assistants will be hired to take place of current adminstration. The savings will not be much different. The extra busing will probably eat those savings very quickly. Putting children on a bus for an hour and half is not fair to the children. Our population is spread out and cannot be operated like many schools in suburbia and the cities.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Yes busing will be an issue. A friend of mine lives in Glouster but in the Morgan County District and her son attended Morgan County HS and it was a terrible ride to school daily.

Trimble and Fed Hock are both in trouble in Athens County as far as funding goes. The residents in both communities should fight tooth and nail to keep their respective schools but I am not sure how much good fighting will do.

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

Quick question: Are Trimble and Fed Hock still the two poorest districts in the state?

There was an article about these districts about a year ago in the Columbus Dispatch. (Kinda pathetic that articles about our area are rare enough that I remember one from that long ago)

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

it's sad and angering at the sametime that the folks in columbus and other bigger communatins think (generally) that the seo communities are dumber then a box of rocks. and we can't manage money for our schools. just b/c we are from seo doesn't mean we are stupid.
25 years ago i always remembered something and i've always remembered this. this is the mentalily of most in the bigger communities. 1986, logan was playing walnut ridge (in football) i at the time was 17 and being a kid we where walking around talking and we started talking to these girls from walnut. these girls thought we all should the saying, ya'll, yunto, dating our sisters and wearing bib overhauls. this is some of the things the big city ppl think when your talking about seo. as sad as it is, it is true. for the state to have to come in and dictate how a small seo district uses there money is bull!!!! the big city schools are no better off then we all are. i've kinda rambled a little but, i guess my piont is that just b/c your from a big area doesn't mean your smater. oh, by the way logan won 48 to 0.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Several points are sad.... first, the state continues to ignore the funding situation for schools in Ohio. Strickland's plan, from what I have seen, basically depends on the federal stimulas money to make up the difference that is being cut to balance the state budget. Second, unfunded mandates from both the state and federal government, they say..."you must have this program but go find the money to do it yourself..." i.e. No Child Left Behind is an great example of this. This happens every year to our schools. Finally, the local folks always want to blame their school board and the superintendents because they think the money is mismanaged and won't pass a levy for new money unless there are new board members or a new super for the district.

Folks, locally raised money through a local levy is collected by your county auditor and sent straight back to your school. Columbus or Washington don't see it or touch it and they don't control how you spend it. When was the last time you saw a school board in SE Ohio charged with mismanagement of funds? I can't think of one.

Support you local schools. Yes, money is tight but money spent on kids is the best investment you can make in your own future and a good school protects you land value. Personally, there are some school districts in SE Ohio that I don't like but I can't think of a bad school district here in SE Ohio.

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

I don't want to get political, but schools are terribly underfunded everywhere. Schools should be the number one social welfare outlet in the nation, (equality of opportunity not of results).

Rural schools have it rough because the state treats them in the same way they treat the suburban schools. They underfund them so much, then expect local government and levies to pick up the slack for improvements. The state has to look at individual needs.
1987chieftains wrote:it's sad and angering at the sametime that the folks in columbus and other bigger communatins think (generally) that the seo communities are dumber then a box of rocks. and we can't manage money for our schools. just b/c we are from seo doesn't mean we are stupid.
25 years ago i always remembered something and i've always remembered this. this is the mentalily of most in the bigger communities. 1986, logan was playing walnut ridge (in football) i at the time was 17 and being a kid we where walking around talking and we started talking to these girls from walnut. these girls thought we all should the saying, ya'll, yunto, dating our sisters and wearing bib overhauls. this is some of the things the big city ppl think when your talking about seo. as sad as it is, it is true. for the state to have to come in and dictate how a small seo district uses there money is bull!!!! the big city schools are no better off then we all are. i've kinda rambled a little but, i guess my piont is that just b/c your from a big area doesn't mean your smater. oh, by the way logan won 48 to 0.

When thinking about people from Lancaster and Columbus think of us as hicks, i just remember that people in New Jersey think Ohioans are hicks, people in New York City think that people in New Jersey are hicks, and people in Paris think that people in New York are pompous, arrogant hicks.

People in Logan think people in Nelsoville are hicks and people in Nelsonville think that people in Glouster are hicks. That's the way these things work, you make fun of the person who's next down the pike.

It works in reverse, though. The further up the totem pole you are the more likely it is that you're a hell bound @$$hole.

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

When I went to school at OSU in the late 70's and early 80's, one thing was clear. All of the rest of Ohio think that we in SE Ohio are hicks.

Return to “Football”