NELSONVILLE-YORK / TRIMBLE CONSOLIDATION ?

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

NELSONVILLE-YORK / TRIMBLE CONSOLIDATION ?

Post by FANOSPORTS »

I was visiting one of the high schools around this time last year and a administrator told me that within 3 to 5 years there may have to be a consolidation of districts in northern Athens county with the financial straits that one is currently in. Any comments on this ?

Fun in the Sun
Freshman Team

Re: NELSONVILLE-YORK / TRIMBLE CONSOLIDATION ?

Post by Fun in the Sun »

If it would happen what current school , would be the high school ?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Fun in the Sun wrote:If it would happen what current school , would be the high school ?

NY has all new or completely rennovated facilities as of 2010. If they did consolidate, the school would be D III, slightly smaller than Vinton County.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Even if the 2 districts would consolidate into 1 district, it doesn't necessarily mean that they will have only 1 high school.

However, if this would come to pass, I would think that Nelsonville would house the 9-12 students. Trimble does have newer buildings that could still be used for junior high and elementary schools.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

IF this ever happened, it would be in the newspapers about the possibility of it happening for awhile. When I researched NY football history, I found and read all kinds of articles about the proposed consolidation of Nelsonville and York back in '67. There was lots of emotion on both sides of this issue back then. The voters actually voted on it and it passed - although the State threatened to close both schools down unless they consolidated, so in that sense, it wasn't much of a choice.

The school would become the third largest in the TVC - slightly behind second place Vinton County. Here is how a consolidated school would compare with the rest of the TVC OHIO:

Athens - 363 boys, 322 girls
Vinton County - 296 boys, 263 girls
Nelsonville/Trimble - 273 boys, 264 girls
Meigs - 223 boys, 228 girls
Alexander - 206 boys, 196 girls
Wellston - 181 boys, 187 girls
Belpre - 140 boys, 118 girls

whompascat
All Conference

Post by whompascat »

not going to happen

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

Post by coal miner's son »

A large number of citizens feel that a consolidation of schools is overdue in Washington County, as well. Warren & Belpre, Waterford & Fort Frye, and Frontier & Marietta. Washington County schools have the WORST facilities in the state of Ohio. Washington County is the only county in the state that does not have ANY new buildings. You could save a half a million dollars in salaries by eliminating 3 superintendents. Use some of the existing high schools as middle schools/elementaries and build new high schools.

KC Java
Freshman Team

Post by KC Java »

Waterford and Fart Frye should consolidate and then join the TVC Ohio. The rest of the county prolly needs to stay as is but all should get new buildings.

Seriously, The ohio division would be in for a serious hurting if you put the two best league programs together. On the other hand, my boys at Eastern would be very happy to see this happen.

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

The more I think about it, Frontier and Marietta would be the toughest to consolidate. A lot of land area, but re-draw district lines. Northern part of Frontier could go to Switzerland of Ohio. Southwestern part of Warren Local could go to Federal Hocking.

In some states, people from the department of education come into a place and access situations like this. They decide whether to re-district, build new builds, etc. Then the citizens are taxed without any choice. Of course, this takes away all local power but it eliminates old fashion traditions and those "axes that people have to grind" with a school based on something that happened 20 years before. If we don't invest in our kids NOW, we will be paying more for it in the long run.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Not going to happen!!!!!!
No Way!!!!

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Orange and Brown wrote:Not going to happen!!!!!!
No Way!!!!

You underestimate the power the state government has over us. If the state wanted it - believe me, it would happen. That's pretty much how all the consolidations happened in the 60's........the state came in and said funding would cease unless consolidations occurred.

Thats when Nelsonville and York consolidated.
Thats when Glouster and Jacksonville-Trimble consolidated.
Thats when The Plains, Chauncey, and Athens consolidated.
Thats when Pomeroy, Middleport, and Rutland consolidated.
Thats when Albany, Waterloo, and Shade consolidated.
Thats when all of the area that is Federal Hocking consolidated.
Etc, etc, etc.

The state came in and made it happen by threatening to remove funding and accreditation if it didn't happen.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

NYBuckeye96 wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:Not going to happen!!!!!!
No Way!!!!

You underestimate the power the state government has over us. If the state wanted it - believe me, it would happen. That's pretty much how all the consolidations happened in the 60's........the state came in and said funding would cease unless consolidations occurred.

Thats when Nelsonville and York consolidated.
Thats when Glouster and Jacksonville-Trimble consolidated.
Thats when The Plains, Chauncey, and Athens consolidated.
Thats when Pomeroy, Middleport, and Rutland consolidated.
Etc, etc, etc.

The state came in and made it happen by threatening to remove funding and accrediation if it didn't happen.

That was back when the state was consolidating many schools across the state. I don't see that happenning any time soon. Back in the 60's they were consolidating schools that had 50 or 60 kids in them for the most part.Some bigger some smaller. The state is not going to force consolidate Trimble and Nelsonville -York.
Every 2 or 3 years this rumur gets started and gets a few people fired up and then nothing happens. I believe that is the cae now.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Orange and Brown wrote: That was back when the state was consolidating many schools across the state. I don't see that happenning any time soon. Back in the 60's they were consolidating schools that had 50 or 60 kids in them for the most part.Some bigger some smaller. The state is not going to force consolidate Trimble and Nelsonville -York.
Every 2 or 3 years this rumur gets started and gets a few people fired up and then nothing happens. I believe that is the cae now.

As fast as enrollment has dropped at NY and Trimble, the day will probably come when each district only has 50-60 students! Did you know if NY and Trimble consolidated today, the size of the school would be about the same size as NY was in 1967 when Nelsonville and York consolidated???? That means NY has lost the entire student population of todays entire Trimble Local School District in the last 40 years.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

We had four elementary schools back then - Nelsonville, York, Poston, and Murray City. Murray City closed in the early 80's and those students went to York Elementary. The remaining three elementary schools closed/consolidated in 1997.

Here is a good example.......when I was in 8th grade in 1992, there were 140 names on my 8th grade graduation announcement. When I graduated high school, there were only 89 names on that one! My college transcripts put the final number of my class at 98 after including those who made up requirements in summer school. Still............what happened to all of those kids? Where did they go? How do you go from 140 to 98 in four years? Surely that many did not drop out.

I don't think any classes today are even close to 100 graduates at graduation, and this was only a little over a decade ago.
Last edited by NYBuckeye96 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

I know I keep applying this to Washington Co., but I would guess that
Waterford has less than 100 in the high school. FF has b/t 100-200. Belpre a little more than FF.

91Buckeye
Varsity

Post by 91Buckeye »

For those of you out there that believe this can't happen think about this. Education reform is one of the hottest political topics right now, if the state determines that consolidation will best serve the children of Ohio, let the color/mascot debate begin. NYB96 is on the right track in this debate.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

91Buckeye wrote:For those of you out there that believe this can't happen think about this. Education reform is one of the hottest political topics right now, if the state determines that consolidation will best serve the children of Ohio, let the color/mascot debate begin. NYB96 is on the right track in this debate.

How is this for reform..........I'll use NY again as an example......my senior year, there were only 9 students in my Physics class. One teacher was spending a class period teaching only 9 students. Assume Trimble has 8 students in Physics and is paying someone else to teach that class. Wouldn't education reform tell us that it's better to pay one teacher to teach 17 students that physics course than pay two teachers to teach 9 and 8 students respectively?

Also consider this...........remember how I said NY has already lost the student population of Trimble in the last 40 years............NY is currently in the process of rennovating and ADDING ON to the high school. So in 1967, the building was large enough to accomadate today's entire NY and Trimble student body, yet we are about to make this building larger in the rennovation process. I realize that average square foot per student ratios may have changed over time, but clearly this rennovated building will be large enough to take on additional students. Meanwhile, Trimble is talking about closing down its junior high and moving all junior high students to the high school because the high school building is newer and the shrinking student population of Trimble means that the high school building is now large enough to accomodate both junior and senior high students.

This is just an example of what's going on in northern Athens County. There are countless other examples throughout the state of Ohio. Ohio is about to undergo major education reform in the coming years and there is no way things will stay the same as they are now.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

91Buckeye wrote:For those of you out there that believe this can't happen think about this. Education reform is one of the hottest political topics right now, if the state determines that consolidation will best serve the children of Ohio, let the color/mascot debate begin. NYB96 is on the right track in this debate.[/quote
[
This is just an example of what's going on in northern Athens County. There are countless other examples throughout the state of Ohio. Ohio is about to undergo major education reform in the coming years and there is no way things will stay the same as they are now. [/color]

As fast as enrollment has dropped at NY and Trimble, the day will probably come when each district only has 50-60 students! Did you know if NY and Trimble consolidated today, the size of the school would be about the same size as NY was in 1967 when Nelsonville and York consolidated???? That means NY has lost the entire student population of todays entire Trimble Local School District in the last 40 years. [/quote]

Good insight , numbers and homework done by both nyb96 and 91buckeye on previous posts, I guess stay tuned then huh ?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Is there any prof to this or is it just a rumer.
If this was something the state was looking at doing, I am pretty sure that both community's would know about it.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Orange and Brown wrote:Is there any prof to this or is it just a rumer.
If this was something the state was looking at doing, I am pretty sure that both community's would know about it.

I don't think there is any truth to it for the time being. However, I think it is inevitable that this topic will be at the forefront in future years.

Something else to consider.......Strickland has developed a new funding formula for schools - essentially, it does not increase funding for Athens County schools, and I believe it actually decreases Trimble's funding - which is why they had that town meeting at Trimble with local government officials a couple weeks ago. Why would Strickland support a formula that decreases funding for poor rural school districts? Maybe there is more to this story. Maybe consolidation is the next discussion that will take place. A bartering from the state - increased funding IF consolidation occurs. Something is fishy with that new formula Strickland proposed and I can't quite pin it down to anything in particular, but something tells me there is more to this story than has been made public at this point.

Return to “Football”