Week 2: Coal Grove (1-0) @ Athens (1-0)

fuzzhead
SEOP

Week 2: Coal Grove (1-0) @ Athens (1-0)

Post by fuzzhead »

Coal Grove escaped with the win last year at home. Now comes the rematch against what sounds like an improved Athens bunch up at their place. What's gonna happen and why?

2trap_4ever
S

Re: Week 2: Coal Grove (1-0) @ Athens (1-0)

Post by 2trap_4ever »

If Coal Grove can clean up the mistakes on defense from this past week and be able to get the running game going early they should be able to take this one, but you can't count out emotion and what kind of emotion will be in that brand new stadium.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

My biggest concern is being overly emotional and unfocused with the new field and all the hype involved with it. If Athens can play defense the way they did at Gallia they should be able to pull off a win, if not anything is possible.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

The strength of this Athens squad is going to be their Defense all season long.
Head Coach Ryan Adams specialty is knowing Defensive Schemes and getting his teams to perform them come Friday Night...

Coal Grove will have their hands full with a power 1-2 punch coming from the Athens backfield with DeVon Sharp and Chris Russell. This will be a much tougher running attack then they faced against Meigs last week...

It is too early for predictions, but I expecting on heckuva ball game in The Plains next Friday with the unveiling of the newly renovated Scott Riggs & Family Stadium Complex and will be the first game played in The Plains since September 16th of last year when the storms destroyed R. Basil Rutter Field...

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

It's definitely an interesting matchup. It sounds like Athens' defense mauled Gallia Friday. Coal Grove probably has more tricks up their sleeves on offense than the Blue Devils do, though. The O-line will be challenged for sure and the defense just has to tighten up and get a little more physical.
This is a game I put a questionmark by before the season started because it's too close to make a prediction but it's a game that a playoff-caliber team should win. It's a long road trip to match up against a good, solid team in the Bulldogs. A really good early-season challenge for a younger, less experienced Hornet team compared to recent years.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i'd like to see this one as well fuzzy, you know i'm goin with dem grovers in this one.big points in this one, if athens is gonna have a good year.

nybucksgrad06
JV Team

Post by nybucksgrad06 »

Im rooting for the Athens Bulldogs and I see it ending in a final score of:

Athens - 21

Coal Grove - 14

I cant wait to watch this game should be a dandy!!!!

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

Athens IMO

rico suave
Freshman Team

Post by rico suave »

did the sharp boy play last year. i remember the linebacker too, he was a tough one. do the bulldogs defend the pass well, cg has a decent passing attack this year, believe it or not.

ole_Bobcat
JV Team

Post by ole_Bobcat »

Coal Grove is way over their heads in this one. Too small
Athens 28 - Coal Grove 7

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

rico suave wrote:did the sharp boy play last year. i remember the linebacker too, he was a tough one. do the bulldogs defend the pass well, cg has a decent passing attack this year, believe it or not.
Sharp did play last year, the Grove's defense kept him covered most of the first half but he ran better in the second half.

Can't wait for this game, a real good test for the Grove, they come out of here with a win it should hopefully get them pumped for another killer test the following week.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

fuzzhead wrote:It's definitely an interesting matchup. It sounds like Athens' defense mauled Gallia Friday. Coal Grove probably has more tricks up their sleeves on offense than the Blue Devils do, though. The O-line will be challenged for sure and the defense just has to tighten up and get a little more physical.
This is a game I put a questionmark by before the season started because it's too close to make a prediction but it's a game that a playoff-caliber team should win. It's a long road trip to match up against a good, solid team in the Bulldogs. A really good early-season challenge for a younger, less experienced Hornet team compared to recent years.
More tricks up their sleeve? Ever seen a Coach Lucas team? A pass play qualifies as a trick play for Coal Grove! This will be a physical game won up front.

rico suave
Freshman Team

Post by rico suave »

surprises are in store, hard to believe out of a lucas team. gl to athens and looking forward to seeing your all's new facility. i know we love our turf field here at the grove and they have added new 25 second clocks to the facility.

tigerfan98
Freshman Team

Post by tigerfan98 »

coal grove is good enough to win this but Athens has improved and I have seen some tough Gallia teams over the years. I say Athens in a close one. Athens 21- CG 17

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Coal Grove fans should prepare for a long, long night. First big night with new field then all people or companies that donated will be announced on the field, then it's also hall of fame night and they will be announced plus the beating you will receive from the dogs. Good luck with a parking place also. In the past you could park across in the fields but nothing but big piles of dirt there now.

dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

Athens imo

pappy
Freshman Team

Post by pappy »

20-14 grove rolls

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Athens wins by 3. There D is awesome but there O still needs some work.

Blue_nd_Gray
JV Team

Post by Blue_nd_Gray »

Orange and Brown wrote:Athens wins by 3. There D is awesome but there O still needs some work.
Their offense has one big difference maker! #5 Sharp
He can take it to the house on any play. CG isn't playing an average OVC team in this one its like every other power opponent they played the past few years like Oak Hill and Minford it will be the same result!
Speed Kills

tigermack
Freshman Team

Post by tigermack »

I think Coal Grove defeats Athens again. 21-14.

Return to “Football”