IRONTON 45 VS Russell, KY 0 - FINAL

TIGERS90
Varsity

Re: IRONTON 45 VS Russell, KY 0 - FINAL

Post by TIGERS90 »

That is a game that this kid will remember for a long time...hopefully he and others on that ironton team have many more of the same this season...congratulations go out to him and the tigers...Great job on the line too...without the line....probably wouldn't have had such a good game...they are awesome this year...I loved seeing the wall work...it's been a while since that wall has been that strong....

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I was told that was Tres who I have on Ironton Football Dot Com who made that huge hit on Coal Grove's safety on video

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

He sure didn't go down easy tonight...when he got into the open field...he worked for everything he got....I was impressed...and looking forward to another good night next friday

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Hey ZAP, where've you been? Our "subs" had a heck of a game, didn't they? If Ryan Sias could have hung onto that pass, it would have been perfect. I really want JP healthy and back in the game, but his replacement sure capitalized on getting a moment to shine, didn't he?
I am sitting here listening to the radio, and without even seeing it, I figure Tres Wilks must have left scorch marks on the field - Jason Philyaw literally lost his voice calling that game.
The Tiger schedule order just hit me at the end of the game - The Devil is surely after us - RED this week BLUE next week!!!

85inside
S

Re: IRONTON 45 VS Russell, KY 0- FINAL

Post by 85inside »

ItownHosscat wrote:Another solid win.Started out a little slow,then the Tres Wilkes show came on.
I gotta tell you these kids are hard workers.They always have been.Keep on playing hard boys and good things will come!

Way to go Tres Wilkes!!!!

I second that! Great win for the Fighting Tigers! Hosscat, money won from the Juke Boxer is twice as sweet.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Congrats Tigers on the win. Tres Wilkes came in for Taylor and was very impressive. The Backfield is loaded this year.

Hopefully JP is allright and will be ready to go next week.

GO TIGERS........

tk421
Varsity

Post by tk421 »

Any word on how injured Wetzel was on that low hit on the point after?

RiverRatZap
SEOPS

Post by RiverRatZap »

Article on the game at www.irontonfootball.com/wp

Go Tigers!

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

Very impressive stats....Ironton 460 total yards to Russell's 68...

I believe our defense is for real this year...

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

From the Herald Dispatch.....

Ironton runs past Russell
September 05, 2009 @ 12:00 AM

DAVID WALSH

The Herald-Dispatch

IRONTON -- On the fifth play of the game, Ironton halfback J.P. Taylor left with an injury after a 7-yard run. OK, Tres Wilks, time to see what you've got.

Wilks didn't waste any time as he dashed 91 yards for a touchdown on his first carry. The 5-foot-7, 155-pound junior and sprinter for the Fighting Tigers in track added a 22-yard TD run, a 2-point coversion and covered 76 and 64 yards on punt returns for scores.

The big plays and stingy Ironton defense paved the way for a 45-0 win over the Red Devils on Friday night at Tanks Memorial Stadium.

"I'm more mad about my teammate getting hurt," a smiling Wilks said in the locker room while getting some good-natured ribbing from teammates. He finished with 138 yards rushing on just four attempts.

Ironton coach Bob Lutz said he wanted to get Wilks some playing time and didn't seem surprised by what Wilks did.

"We had to get him some reps," Lutz said. "He's probably the fastest guy on the team. We were a little sluggish. His run broke the ice."

After a Russell punt, the Fighting Tigers had the ball at their 5-yard line with 1:40 left in the opening quarter. On the second play, Wilks took a handoff up the middle, and with the Red Devils blitzing on the play, he had virtually no one to beat once he got into the secondary.

"Ethan (quarterback Ethan Preston) made a good audible," Wilks said. "He made the right call, the ends kicked out and the hole was huge. I didn't want to get caught from behind."

On the two punt returns, Wilks headed right, turned the corner and got behind the wall and then made some nifty moves late to reach the end zone.

"The wall was great," he said. "I just followed my blocks."

"We had good blocks up front," Lutz said. "We had a chance to get to the wall. When he does that, he's got a chance to score a TD."

Ironton (2-0) returns to action next Friday at Gallipolis. Russell (2-1) is home against Ashland.

Russell coach Ivan McGlone said the first punt return opened the floodgates for the Fighting Tigers, who have won 12 straight in the series for an overall 21-3-1 lead. This was the first meeting between the two schools since 1992.

"The first quarter we pin them back and they go 91 yards on a dive play," McGlone said. "Their skill and speed took over the game."

Ironton, which put the clamps on Wheelersburg in a 24-8 win last week, had a repeat effort Friday night. The Red Devils had 107 yards rushing and just five first downs.

After Wilks sprinted 22 yards for a TD, set up by an interception by teammate Michael Lawless, Keith Wetzel added a 27-yard field goal right before the half for a 24-0 cushion.

"We kept encouraging them," McGlone said of trying to keep his Red Devils up. "Everything exploded and went downhill after that (the TD run by Wilks). They were too big, too strong and too fast. They wore us down. We hung in there, but then things snowballed in the wrong direction."

Russell came in off shutout wins over East Carter and Greenup County.

"We knew we were going to have some problems on offense," said McGlone, who lost 17 seniors from the 2008 team. "We've got work to do."

Lutz said he was happy his team showed no letdown after the win over Wheelersburg.

"We knew we could be vulnerable," he said.

"We want to keep going," Wilks said. "We want to play 15 (weeks). The offensive line was awesome. They proved themselves last week and showed up again."

RUSSELL 0 0 0 0 -- 0

IRONTON 7 17 14 7 -- 45

I -- Wilks 91 run return (Wetzel kick)

I -- Wilks 76 punt return (kick failed)

I -- Wilks 22 run (Wilks run)

I -- Wetzel 27 FG

I -- Wetzel 7 run (Wetzel kick)

I -- Wilks 64 punt return (Wetzel kick)

I -- Beach 1 run (Wetzel kick)

R IR

First downs 5 13

Total Net Yards 113 310

Rushes-yards 39-107 38-290

Passing 6 20

Comp-Att-Int 1-4-1 1-3-0

Fumbles-Lost 2-0 0-0

Penalties-Yards 1-8 2-22

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING--Russell: Jones 14-37, Dehoff 7-18, Rice 5-13, Davidson 1-2, Roark 1-1, Pennington 1-1, White-Reed 8-29, Thompson 2-6. Ironton: Lawless 4-28, Wetzel 7-27, Taylor 1-7, Hager 6-46, Wilks 4-138, Preston 6-minus 10, Waginger 1-10, Warner 6-25, Beach 3-19.

PASSING--Russell: Roark 0-1-0, Sparks 0-1-1, Dehoff 1-2-0, 6. Ironton: Preston 1-3-0, 20.

RECEIVING--Russell: White-Reed 1-6. Ironton: Taylor 1-20.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

kinda figured this was gonna happen after last week's showing against wheelersburg. folks the fighting tigers are for real, and really seem focused. next step gallipolis. i'm looking for the scoreboard to come alive in the french city. may need some extra lightbulbs. :-D

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

Cant wait to see my buddies in a couple weeks. Too bad were gonna thump ya lol

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

RiverRatZap wrote:Article on the game at http://www.irontonfootball.com/wp

Go Tigers!

I liked your best Zap and then tomorrow we'll hear from 'The Sunday Quarterback' ;-)

RiverRatZap
SEOPS

Post by RiverRatZap »

RRR is in Tennessee right now, but will be home tomorrow. Don't know if he'll have it up Sunday or Monday. I know he's been working on an article about tOSU's Marcus Williams as well.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Awesome that RRR won that ' Hug Dolly' Contest! he'll be seeing butterflies when he gets back here, that's for sure!

You really need to hear what them Ptown boys was saying Zap..not too kind, I can tell you that much!

RiverRatZap
SEOPS

Post by RiverRatZap »

I know what you mean, they were really letting you have it today at the staff meeting. And the things they said about BOO were just totally uncalled for. :shock:

SPANKY
Freshman Team

Post by SPANKY »

kantuckyII wrote:Awesome that RRR won that ' Hug Dolly' Contest! he'll be seeing butterflies when he gets back here, that's for sure!

You really need to hear what them Ptown boys was saying Zap..not too kind, I can tell you that much!

Tucky, Old Spanky had to call him 22 times during the game just to keep him informed of what was happening in the game.Sometimes I believe the boy is living in pedicoat junction :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NUFF SAID..................

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

If I may Spanky.....

Well thats uncle Joe,hes a'movin kinda slow at the junction.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

SPANKY wrote:
kantuckyII wrote:Awesome that RRR won that ' Hug Dolly' Contest! he'll be seeing butterflies when he gets back here, that's for sure!

Tucky, Old Spanky had to call him 22 times during the game just to keep him informed of what was happening in the game.Sometimes I believe the boy is living in pedicoat junction :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NUFF SAID..................

You'd think...that the Sunday Quarterback would be in his seat on Fridays...wouldn't you? :122246

(uh...what the heck is a 'pedicoat junction'? ;-) )

Return to “Football”