Site Admin

Week 5 Waverly @ Ashland Blazer

Post by mattash »

Thoughts?

pbuck
All State

Re: Week 5 Waverly @ Ashland Blazer

Post by pbuck »

After hearing Ashland Paul Blazer beat Ironton last week I'm sorry to say but I feel Kentucky gonna get Ohio again this week

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Ashland big in this game . :idea:

G&B from huddle
JV Team

Post by G&B from huddle »

I hear Ashland's running back (IDK his name) is the real deal and granted if the Tomcats play ball control that is good for them. Keeping Roback off the field is the best way to contain the Tigers offense.
The Tiger defense if they can play agressively and force a couple turnovers I think the Tigers could pull off an upset here.
This a huge computer points game if Waverly gets the win.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Paul Blazer gets the win here for sure. Alber will have another great game.

west siders
All State

Post by west siders »

Ashland looked very impressive last week shutting down Ironton, that is why I like Ashland to win 45-14.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Ashland has a well balanced Offense, they will spread things out and run Alber and you better have more than one guy trying to tackle him, he's a beast. The QB can run as well as pass the ball. Their Defense is pretty good too.

rachelcreek
Riding the Bench

Post by rachelcreek »

"Don't know much about Wav-er-ley" (to the tune of 'Wonderful World'),
but Ashland Paul Blazer's biggest obstacle may be their own psyche...
coming back down from the clouds after beating Ironton for first time
since George H.W. Bush was President is the challenge for prepping
for Waverly. This team from Kentucky seems to be very focused,
and certainly is not lacking in ways to move the ball and stop its'
opponent.

BTW, is this a two-year, home and home deal?

E_Waugh
Freshman Team

Post by E_Waugh »

I gotta go with my Tomcats on this one... Alber and company will be ready..

Ashland 44
Waverly 13

bookem13
JV Team

Post by bookem13 »

rachelcreek,

I agree. This game smells of let-down for the Tomcats. I'm sure the coaches of Ashland are giving that concept a lot of time this week. I don't know if Ashland is a senior-dominated team, but this is a week when those guys have to provide leadership in practice and make their team understand that it's a new week. If they don't come out sharp and turn it over a few times, I think the Tigers could be in this one until the final bell.

How is Ashland's pass defense? What type of offense/defense can we expect out of the Tomcats? You guys have mentioned the tailback...how big is he? What other players will the Tigers have to stop? Is Ashland a grass field or turf?

P.S. I do know there is a Roadhouse in Ashland...it will be a nice pre-game meal for sure! :)

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

bookem13 wrote:rachelcreek,

I agree. This game smells of let-down for the Tomcats. I'm sure the coaches of Ashland are giving that concept a lot of time this week. I don't know if Ashland is a senior-dominated team, but this is a week when those guys have to provide leadership in practice and make their team understand that it's a new week. If they don't come out sharp and turn it over a few times, I think the Tigers could be in this one until the final bell.

How is Ashland's pass defense? What type of offense/defense can we expect out of the Tomcats? You guys have mentioned the tailback...how big is he? What other players will the Tigers have to stop? Is Ashland a grass field or turf?

P.S. I do know there is a Roadhouse in Ashland...it will be a nice pre-game meal for sure! :)

Ashland has an Offense that can run or pass, they like to spread it out and either they will pass, the QB will run or their RB Alber will run it. They are a tough Offense to defend. Alber is 5"10 215lbs and very quick, he's 5 yards down the field by the time you get ahold of him and you better have more than 1 guy trying to bring him down, that's what makes them hard to defend. Their QB is a Lefty who can run or pass the ball very well to some tall recievers. Ashlands Defense is really good with a good front line. Putnam Stadium has real grass.
As long as Ashland doesn't have a big let down after beating Ironton watch out........

PS: If your going to eat at the Roadhouse I would reccommend making reservations and get there early, that place is always packed with a big waiting line.

501 Winchester Avenue
Ashland, KY 41101
Phone: 606-325-5188

CANNIBAL
All Conference

Post by CANNIBAL »

waverly gets beat by 3 tds

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

my heart wants to go with the soc but my gut says ashland. this game could get very ugly. i'm takin blazer by at least 3 scores

playtowin
Freshman Team

Post by playtowin »

Would Ashland count towards the playoff points if Waverly were to win? I know they should, but unless I'm reading it wrong on joe eitel it doesn't count.

Tigers24
Freshman Team

Post by Tigers24 »

Ashland would give Waverly a Division II win in the computer polls

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Times 5 plus any other wins they get, other than week 11 in KY. All wins count as Div 2 wins.

CleanupMan
Waterboy

Post by CleanupMan »

OHbuckeye1 wrote:
bookem13 wrote:rachelcreek,

Ashland has an Offense that can run or pass, they like to spread it out and either they will pass, the QB will run or their RB Alber will run it. They are a tough Offense to defend. Alber is 5"10 215lbs and very quick, he's 5 yards down the field by the time you get ahold of him and you better have more than 1 guy trying to bring him down, that's what makes them hard to defend. Their QB is a Lefty who can run or pass the ball very well to some tall recievers. Ashlands Defense is really good with a good front line. Putnam Stadium has real grass.
As long as Ashland doesn't have a big let down after beating Ironton watch out........

PS: If your going to eat at the Roadhouse I would reccommend making reservations and get there early, that place is always packed with a big waiting line.

501 Winchester Avenue
Ashland, KY 41101
Phone: 606-325-5188

Ashland also has The Outback and Applebees, if you can't get in The Roadhouse, but he telling you right come early at any of placing to eat.

CleanupMan
Waterboy

Post by CleanupMan »

Ashland wins by 24, they will start pulling out starters in fourth quarter. :mrgreen:

rachelcreek
Riding the Bench

Post by rachelcreek »

Pre-game dining can also be had enroute: choice of two Buffalo Wild Wings...one in Portsmouth, south
on U.S. 23 into downtown Portsmouth or off east U.S. 52 in Ironton at the State Route 93 interchange
(in the Ironton Hills shopping center). Bon apetit!

Hope you enjoy your visit to Putnam Stadium in Ashland. Kind of a grand old place to watch high school
football. A Tomcat letdown would be a welcome plus for Waverly, but they're pretty good. I wouldn't
count on it as your ace-in-the-hole in this game. Loss of mental focus by Ashland (mistakes; penalties;
lack of sharpness; etc.) possibly could exist, because beating Ironton was a huge achievement for
their program, their community and to keep a strong start to their season going.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

If waverlys Oline can give Roback some time, I think he can pick them apart. Of course Roback is quite a runner also!! Waverly has some good skilled WRs and Malone is a heck of a back. Their spread is very impressive IF Roback has time. If not, hmmmph. Game on if Waverlys Oline wants to play. Game over if not.

Also, Irontons 3 fumbles lost were huge. Waverly needs to win the turnover battle. Ironton rushed really well i remember from the stats. 2 rushers had nearly 100 yds apeice with less than 10 carries apeice! Interesting!

Return to “Football”