Nelsonville-York (6-1) @ Athens (7-0)

moonshine
SEO

Re: Nelsonville-York (6-1) @ Athens (7-0)

Post by moonshine »

Athens in a very close game. Condition of the Rutter and athens physical size will determine the outcome!

Athens 21
Nels-York 15

Go Bullpuppies!

spartacat
Freshman Team

Post by spartacat »

I think the Buckeyes will bounce back and show everyone why they are the defending TVC champs in a close game.

NY - 21
Athens - 17

Good luck Buckeyes.

dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

well with the rain clearing out thats bad news for athens now they only win by 3 scores instead of 5.

goodluck to both teams

queenb_buckeyefan
Waterboy

Post by queenb_buckeyefan »

GOOD LUCK BUCKEYES. IF YOU PLAY WITH THE SAME PASSION YOU DID DURING THE SECOND HALF OF THE B. U. GAME, YOU'LL COME OUT WINNERS :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://athensmessenger.com/articles/2009/10/16/sports/high_schools/doc4ad87026b0db2100862523.txt

Once more, with feeling
More on the line as Buckeyes and Bulldogs renew county rivalry, this time as league rivals

By JASON ARKLEY
Messenger staff writer
Published: Friday, October 16, 2009 9:16 AM EDT

The third-round of the heavyweight fight deciding the football champion for the Tri-Valley Conference Ohio Division will take place tonight as the Nelsonville-York Buckeyes (6-1, 3-1 TVC) visit the Athens Bulldogs (7-0, 4-0).

And while the outcome of tonight’s TVC-Ohio clash is far from a sure thing, there is one certainty. Neither N-Y head coach Dave Boston nor Athens mentor Ryan Adams are big fans of the Transitive Property.

You know, if A is greater than B and B is greater than C, then A has to be greater to C. For example, Athens beat up Alexander 33-7 two weeks ago. Last week Alexander knocked off Nelsonville-York 21-0. Therefore, Athens should have its way with Nelsonville-York when the two teams meet tonight at Rutter Field in The Plains.

Sound about right coaches?

“That does not enter into our thought processes at all,” said Adams, whose Bulldogs can clinch a share of the TVC-Ohio title tonight with a victory. “In fact you probably couldn’t come up with anything further from the truth. This week, we’re thinking about Nelsonville and nothing else.”

Boston, as you might expect, also takes issue with the theory.

“Here’s your theory. Belpre came about one or two plays away from beating Alexander,” Boston said. “We could’ve beat Belpre by about 70 points. And then Alexander shuts us out.

“So that stuff doesn’t matter,” he added. “What’s a fact is we need to come out, play our best football, exectute and try to win a ballgame.”

The Buckeyes and Bulldogs have been long-standing county rivals, and even play for an annual trophy — the Doc Kroner Trophy (see sidebar). Both teams know they can not take the other lightly because of the rivalry nature of the game.

But the stakes, for both teams, are at an all-time high this time around.

Should the Buckeyes win, the Bulldogs will fall back into a first place tie in the division with N-Y and possible Alexander as well. The Spartans, also with one loss in league play, will travel to Meigs.

A loss for either team would seriously endanger any postseason aspirations. Athens will be on the bubble in a loaded Division II, Region 7 with a perfect 10-0 mark, and the Buckeyes (Division V, Region 19) could fall out of playoff contention with a second loss.

“There is a little bit of a different feeling, and it really started last year when this game became a league rivalry as well,” Boston said. “There is a lot riding on this one.”

Not the least of which is the final stamp of approval on Athens’ turnaround season. The Bulldogs have changed perceptions, but won’t be fully recognized as the league champ unless they can unseat the Buckeyes. Nelsonville-York has won the TVC-Ohio title every season under Boston — with the exception of 2007.

The Buckeyes have owned the series with Athens as well. N-Y is 16-2 against the Bulldogs in the last 18 years; the Bucks have won every game against Athens since 1991 with the exceptions of 2002 and 2003.

“It doesn’t even need to be mentioned around here,” Adams said. “Everybody know that. Our players know that better than most.”

In their first meeting as league rivals, Nelsonville-York clipped Athens 22-14 last year thanks to a later interception return for a touchdown. Both coaches expect another close, hard-fought game tonight.

“Oh yeah. The gloves come off at 7:30,” Adams said. “It’ll be a fight.”

The Buckeyes will bring a renewed vigor. Nelsonville-York was stuck in the mud, literally, last Friday at Alexander. Standout tailback Derek Arnold couldn’t find traction, and the Spartans stunned the Buckeyes with their first-ever victory over N-Y.

Boston said his team has regrouped, refocused and will give the Bulldogs their best shot.

“I’m sure most people would look at us as the underdog,” Boston said. “But we still wear that bulls-eye too. We know teams are gunning for us.

“But the only thing on our mind is Athens,” he added. “We’re not even considering playoffs or this or that. It’s all about Athens, and it’s going to be a huge task.”

It will be. The Bulldogs have swamped opponents with a dominating defense all season spear-headed by senior defensive linemen Joey Stanley and Vinnie Rider. Athens has shutout three opponents this season, allowed just three offensive touchdowns in league play, and given up no offensive touchdowns in its last three games.

“We just don’t have any soft spots,” Adams said. “I just don’t know where a team would look in order to get a good matchup on us right now.”

On the flipside, Nelsonville-York will have to gear up to stop a plethora of Bulldog weapons. Quarterback Trey Harris has been terrific in directing the offense with no interceptions, and Athens has big physical running backs, tall and rangy receivers, and lightning-quick scat-backs to all distribute the ball to.

“I think I’ve seen them return a punt for a touchdown in every game I’ve watched,” Boston joked. “We have to try to shutdown a whole platoon of backs.

“Really, in every aspect, we have to be sharp,” he added. “If we have breakdowns mentally, it’s going to hurt.”

The Buckeyes shouldn’t be hurt by the field. Rutter Field is in good shape, Adams said, although rain in the forecast for Friday could change that.

Should the field deteriorate, Athens could see an advantage with its bulkier offensive and defensive lines.

“In my opinion, it’s in great shape,” Adams said. “We took the JVs and freshmen off it this week.”

Though two weeks remain in the season, tonight’s tilt in many ways will act as the ultimate regular-season game. A win for Nelsonville-York puts the Buckeyes on firm ground for both the postseason and at least a share of the TVC-Ohio crown.

“It’s a great opportunity,” Boston said. “These kind of games don’t happen that often.”

For the Bulldogs, it’s a big chance as well. Athens could make it a clean sweep across all fall sports in the TVC-Ohio with a win; the ‘Dogs have already won a share of the volleyball title and outright titles in golf and boys and girls cross country in league play.

Plus the impact on Athens football could be huge. The Bulldogs are off their best start since 1965 (9-0), and a win over their county rival would only make it sweeter.

“It could be a real signature win for this program,” Adams said. “It would be a real sign of a team coming of age, of turning that corner.”

HISTORIC HARDWARE

BY TOM METTERS
Special to The Messenger

There is a small shelf in Athens’ varsity football locker room which could be utilized for any number of uses.
Currently, anAthens helmet sits on the shelf, but a small plate on the front of the shelf indicates that it is designed to hold the Doc Kroner Trophy.

The trophy is named in honor of longtimeAthens team physician John Kroner and goes to the winner of the annual football game between the Bulldogs and Nelsonville-York.

The only problem is that the matchup has been won by the Buckeyes for the past five years, and so it has “resided” in Buchtel since 2004. The trophy will be up for grabs Friday night.

Nelsonville-York (6-1 overall and 3-1 in the Tri-Valley Conference’s Ohio Divison) invades Rutter Field to face the Bulldogs (7-0, 4-0). Both teams will have one league game remaining (both of them at home) after this week’s contest, Nelsonville-York against Vinton County and Athens against Belpre.

Athens is off to its best start since posting a 9-0 record in 1965, having had winning seasons with at least five victories only 18 times in that 43-year span. That includes only threewith five or more wins since 1990 (between 2001 and 2003) and nine in which the Bulldogs had just one win and one in which they were winless.

Adams, currently in his third season as head coach, is the 15th individual in that capacity in those 43 years. Only two of the head coaches served at least five years — besides Don Eskey who coached the Bulldogs
between 1957 and 1970. Meanwhile, seven Athens head coaches worked either one or two years. In addition to the turnover in head coaches, there have often been even more changes among assistants.

Although Athens and Nelsonville met on the football field for many years beginning before both were charter members of the Southeastern Ohio Athletic League in 1925. They continued even after
Nelsonville-York was formed to include the former Buchtel-York distric. There was a gap in the
series after Nelsonville-York switched from the SEOAL to the Tri-Valley Conference. The series was resumed in 1983.

The trophy was initiated in 1984 and back-dated to 1983 to coincide with the resumption of the series between the two rivals.

Nelsonville-York has dominated the series during the Kroner Trophy years holding an 18-8 edge including 11 straight years between 1991 and 2001.

Athens, meanwhile, emerged with a win six straight years between 1985 and 1990 and two
years in 2002 and 2003.

Kroner was team physician for the Bulldogs for 28 years, but continues to be on the sidelines on a weekly basis. Not only does the trophy bear his name, but after the new locker room was built, it was named
from Kroner in September, 1997.

The head coaches from both teams have seen both the Kroner Trophy and Dr. Kroner himself as both a player and then as a coach.

“One of the first things that I talked about coming into ‘Buckeye Week’ is that our season can’t come close to being complete without getting the Kroner trophy back,” Athens coach Ryan Adams said.

“Now that we’re in the TVC they have to realize that the significance behind that trophy has gone up about a thousand degrees. Whoever holds that trophy is probably be in a good situation in regards to a league
championship, either getting a piece of it or winning it outright” he added.

“As a player, I was fortunate to go through at a time when we swept them my three years (1986-1988). As a coach, I would love to say I had at least half that kind of success, but I haven’t either as an assistant or as head coach, but I haven’t,” he said.

“Dr. Kroner has played a significant part in my life personally. He was a friend of my father. I lost my father when I was 13 and in eighth grade. When I came into high school ball, Doc Kroner was the team physician.
You couple that with with the role that he assumes beyond being the team physician with the players and the staff is something that is very special,” he added.

“There is just a handful of people that have been around through the thick and the thinof Athens football for many years and Dr. Kroner is one of them. Very few people realize the time that he spends with us. He was a football player himself and he brings a lot to the table that helps out in a big way,” he said.

Nelsonville-York coach Dave Boston Jr. holds similar thoughts about the game, the trophy and Dr. Kroner himself.

“It’s one of those things that is like cross-town rivals and both teams are playing well. You hope that you’re at that point in the season that your kids will step up to the challenges that have been ahead of them,” he added.

“Dr. Kroner did a lot of good for the whole area, not just Athens,” Boston said. “He delivered both of my children. I had the great fortune to be an assistantat Athens during the 2000 season. He is a motivator and an inspiration to young people. He did physicals for our players for years, both when my father was coaching and for my players” he added.

It has been encouraging to see a big increase in the home stands this fall, and it should be another packed house for Friday’s matchup.

It remains to be seen whether the Bulldogs can either win or share the TVC crown and whether or not they can advance to post-season play for what would be only the second time since the playoff setup started.

Either way it will be an exciting ride.

Two great articles right there!

Although my pet peeve is when NY/Boston Field is referred to as being in "Buchtel" when in actuallity it is inside the Nelsonville City Limits! :122245

buckman
Freshman Team

Post by buckman »

Besides a possible TVC Ohio crown, Alex should also root for NY because the more games NY wins, the more secondary playoff points Alex gets. Since Athens beat Alex, they get no secondary points if Athens wins... if I understand that system correctly (which isn't a given).

Go Bucks!

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

Good luck to both teams. I am pulling for the NY Buckeyes. Big game for both programs for sure. It is a plus for the Ohio TVC, to have two top rated teams going after each other. NY Buckeyes 7 Anthens Bull Dogs 3. No matter what the score turns out to be, hoping for a good game and injury free game. :-D :-D

preps_fan1980
Freshman Team

Post by preps_fan1980 »

come on athens!

NYBucksDad
JV Team

Post by NYBucksDad »

IT'S GAME DAY LET'S GO BUCKEYE'S

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

Game night at Athens High School! Bring on the Buckeyes!

Good Luck to the team and coaches. Keep this train moving forward one team at a time. Tonight is NY's time. Get 'em dogs!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

It's a little blistery out their today, but dry. It's only gonna get colder and the field has to be damp - which may cause some turnovers that could decide the outcome. Athens has been creating turnovers all year and the (plus/minus) ratio in the Alexander game was clearly the difference. No way a team wins with 6 turnovers (which the Spartans had at Rutter Field two weeks ago), and with Athens putting the ball on the ground three straight times last week versus Wellston; should call for a little concern from the Bulldog faithful.

I'm estatic about tonights game though, I was actually given another 'task' for this Friday's big show-down just so I could be present for perhaps the biggest game of the year ... No radio needed this week - and I won't be freezing my butt off in some half empty stadium across the county ... It's the sidelines at R. Basil Rutter Field with a camera in hand for ol 93dog.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Game, set and match already: Athens 7 - N-Y 0 (Harris is too good) 3:55 1st

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

This Chapman kid for Athens must be the real deal from what the radio is saying !!!!!

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

i thought from reading, the score sounded lop sided.. is it really only seven to zip athens ahead...wow.. could be a long game..

Atownfan2005
Waterboy

Post by Atownfan2005 »

Go Bulldogs!!! and please keep the updates coming! Since I couldn't go to the game and live out of the area to get it on the radio.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Athens has shot themselves in the foot with penalties the whole first half. They had a touchdown called back just a few seconds ago. You'd think with all the soccer player's in Athens they could find a field goal kicker (It would have just been a 35 yarder right before halftime). Very fast 1st half. Another big penalty on 3rd down with a big gain. I don't think N-Y has any penalties so far.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Athens touchdown with 4.9 seconds to go till half., missed ep, Athens 13 - N-y 0

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

INTERCEPTION AND N-Y CAPITALIZES, 8 PLAYS, 38 YARDS (ATHENS 13 - 7).

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

N-Y defense playing a lot better in the 3rd quarter. Athens with another big penalty (Athens has 7 penalties and N-Y has 2 for the game).

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Another big pass interference penalty on Athens. Pass wouldn't have been caught anyway but Athens keeps making mistakes.

Return to “Football”