Logan Talent

Paladin
SEOP

Logan Talent

Post by Paladin »

First, let me say my "spies" had said that Logan had some talent this year. They expected Logan to win , say 6-4 . Team had some size and some athletes. However, there is a "youth movement" underway and team faces a losing season.

Fact -- the team roster shows 12 Seniors and 15 Juniors. Of that the roster shows 8 Juniors anbd 5 Seniors in the #50- #79 linemen slots. And there is some size. How is it that FROSH and SOPHs are better and play than kids who played at least JV and many played Varsity last year ? What is going on that I am missing ? My days of coaching lead to an underclassmen playing only when BETTER than the upperclassmen, not less than or equal to. Kids can be subbed, but starters ?

Tell me what I am missing about Logan football this year because my "spies" are saying there are problems with players starting ?

Have gun, will travel
Ground Buck
All Conference

Re: Logan Talent

Post by Ground Buck »

Paladin wrote:First, let me say my "spies" had said that Logan had some talent this year. They expected Logan to win , say 6-4 . Team had some size and some athletes. However, there is a "youth movement" underway and team faces a losing season.

Fact -- the team roster shows 12 Seniors and 15 Juniors. Of that the roster shows 8 Juniors anbd 5 Seniors in the #50- #79 linemen slots. And there is some size. How is it that FROSH and SOPHs are better and play than kids who played at least JV and many played Varsity last year ? What is going on that I am missing ? My days of coaching lead to an underclassmen playing only when BETTER than the upperclassmen, not less than or equal to. Kids can be subbed, but starters ?

Tell me what I am missing about Logan football this year because my "spies" are saying there are problems with players starting ?
I may have an opinion on this after I see the drubbing Friday night. But for now, coaching in the 1950's had to be a lot different than in 2016. You may want to keep that in mind. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

TTT

Have gun, will travel
BigChuck
JV Team

Post by BigChuck »

You don't really see those 2 words together very often, do you? Now, Wheelersburg and Talent.....now that's got a certain Ring To it don't you think?

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin -

Here's my take. I'm not closer to the community than you and don't have much in the way of "spies," just own observations through the media.

I think it is more likely your "spies" overrated Logan's talent and/or have their own agenda. I am usually an optimist about the program, and expected very much a down year. Before this group played a game I thought 3 wins would be a great season.

None of the guys who are not full-fledged Varsity contributors played much if at all for the Varsity last season.

First, in the senior class: Tomas Wright is off the team for disciplinary reasons, Kory Henthorne is three year starter, Cody Wolfe is not a factor for the Varsity, Anderson Wolfe wasn't on the roster the last two seasons, and TJ Meyer has been a starter on both sides of the ball.

In the junior class: Carter Hodson started on D-line last week and has been getting more and more playing time, Garrett Baker, Tucker Wilson, and Nick Baker are all starting on the JV but did not feature at all for the Varsity last season, Dakota Dement is a two-way starter, Christ Fitch was not on the roster last season, Kamryn Carter is a two-way starter, and Dakota Stiffarm starts at guard (was injured and not dressed last week).

So if we look at guys who A) are juniors and seniors, and B) were in the program last year we have:

Cody Wolfe
Garrett Baker
Tucker Wilson
Nick Baker

There is also a sophomore starter from 2015 who would be a junior who didn't come out for football. I've heard rumors as to why, but I don't believe it has anything to do with playing time/coaches. I would say he lost interest in football.

Of those four, only one was a significant contributor on the JV team last season.

I truly don't think there is any conspiracy going on.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Locos -- my "spies" are all old Logan jocks with no "agenda". They follow the team and usually know some of the players and their abilities, see some games and so have offered me real good info over the years. Most have a good handle on what is going on. Not this year. Its a mystery.

They started a Frosh, Wycoff on the OL and play Risch a Soph ( 5'11,175) at RT . I don't have as much info on the DL but there are many who have questioned this. Of course , the results speak for themselves. We seem to have skill and are athletic. But the trenches appear to be the problem.

I haven't been down to watch them at all. Scrimmage or game. But I got some folks bending my ears .............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have gun, will travel
ArmChairQB
Varsity

Post by ArmChairQB »

Most coaches will play the best kids they have available. If a Frosh or Soph are = to a senior. As a coach I would play the younger kid. I

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

I'm not sure how it is up there, and it don't really happen at Meigs...But in the summer when they have lifting and it isn't mandatory, maybe some of the upper classmen aren't attending and some of the younger kids are. Anything that isn't mandatory, but if they don't go can sometimes be held against them. Of course it will never be let on that it will be.

Sometimes decisions are made before the mandatory practices take place...say Jimmy Joe (Senior) didn't go in summer to anything, But Jimmy John (Sophomore) went to everything. Despite Jimmy Joe being more talented, Jimmie John showed he wanted it more.

In which I do not agree with at all..I know most people on here doesn't like me to well, but I would like for my boy to go to the summer workouts and I get onto him to go, but he also plays Summer Baseball, Legion Baseball and Summer Basketball for school...Luckily, down here they don't hold that against him and he earns his spots once it's mandatory. Only thing he doesn't get to do is go to the 7 and 7's because of it.

People Have The Right To Their Opinion, And You Have The Right To Ignore It.
Stone Cold
JV Team

Post by Stone Cold »

I find it hard to believe that the best 11 are not on the football field in Logan. I mean unless its for disciplinary reasons. The only kind of coach i know that wouldn't put his best 11 on the field is the one that doesn't want to keep his job. Think about it.

And that's the bottom line, b/c Stone Cold said so....
moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

OK! my spies tell me that our talent level is at best very average an inexperienced! Let's look at the defense, the line is very porous and that puts pressure on the LB's which are small and let's be honest not very good! So that up to the DB's and Safeties to make most of the tackles! Offence! it all starts with the line OMG the line play is well below average and lack the killer instinct! The back are ineffective and from my spies are not looking for a seam and there are very little room to run. Our ends are the only position group which comes close to the performance that is expected. And that bring me to special teams, punting the punter is doing a fine job when he gets time and a good snap! The kick off team where do you begin! So I can under stand the youth movement and the team will take quite a few beatings this year. If the young core of this team sticks together look for the next 2-3 years to show quit a bit of improvement! Before anyone starts yelling for a coaching change lets give this staff time to work the problems, if in 2-3 years like we waited to remove Wolfe, then it will be time!

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I concur with that moonshine! I have witnessed the scrimmages along with the first game, and I just don't see anywhere near the speed,strength and agility of past good teams with maybe the exception of Wallace who does have good speed,but also remember with all the youngins playing even though they have some experience under their belts now they are still not as mature and strong as older kids they are going against,just going to take some time to catch up.I wouldn't be so quick to blame the coaches either,lets not forget the year he lost his starting QB in the first game of the year and made the running back a QB, and they still beat Jackson and won the league championship,people were singing his praises then and proclaimed Billy was bringing them back!

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Simple statement - I'm not calling for the coaches head, just trying to get a handle on whats going on. My info says they should do 6-4 this season. But early results don't show it.

Have gun, will travel
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

moonshine wrote:OK! my spies tell me that our talent level is at best very average an inexperienced! Let's look at the defense, the line is very porous and that puts pressure on the LB's which are small and let's be honest not very good! So that up to the DB's and Safeties to make most of the tackles! Offence! it all starts with the line OMG the line play is well below average and lack the killer instinct! The back are ineffective and from my spies are not looking for a seam and there are very little room to run. Our ends are the only position group which comes close to the performance that is expected. And that bring me to special teams, punting the punter is doing a fine job when he gets time and a good snap! The kick off team where do you begin! So I can under stand the youth movement and the team will take quite a few beatings this year. If the young core of this team sticks together look for the next 2-3 years to show quit a bit of improvement! Before anyone starts yelling for a coaching change lets give this staff time to work the problems, if in 2-3 years like we waited to remove Wolfe, then it will be time!
Ditto: The Line, The Line The Line. It all starts there! In the off season If there are any lineman in weight room I'd have them watching game film from this season as they worked out and/or out on the field working on Technics.

AT THE RESERVATION
Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

This is my 19th season following Logan in some capacity as a member of the media, parent of a player, family on the staff etc; so I have never needed a spy to tell me anything. Knowing what we had coming back from last year and losing 95% of the offense; losing as many starters as we did in key positions, having new players in those key skilled spots, losing kids to the hiking club, and having to fill in kids in spots where we knew we were going to lack experience; the over/under for wins this year speaking to everyone; was 3 games. Most took the under. This is not rocket science people. Logan is young, very young. With youth comes inexperience. With inexperience comes exposure to more experienced teams who in turn expose your weaknesses. Which in this case is youth. Logan lost so many kids who have been in these spots for 2, 3 and in the case of McBride at RB; 4 years. I know we have some very good players on the field with a lot of talent. But yes, a lot of those kids on the field are in fact frosh and sophs and their biggest drawback is in fact they lack experience. Next season will be key for us. This kids will take their lumps but will gain valuable experience. By the time they get to be Seniors I think sky's the limit. Spatar is a legit read option QB but he's only a 9th grader. Joey Conrad, Pat Angle, Jimmer Breining, Keith Myers, never played varsity as a freshman. You could see a scenario where Walsh goes back to WR next season and Spatar is moved to QB. But Walsh is gaining experience at QB and Spatar may need to wait. Its a good problem to have to have so many kids that are underclassmen who are gaining valuable playing time now. Its a growing pains kind of year guys. Not the end of the world.

Live Like A Champion!
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

You are right KD. Our (myself included) Chieftain Pride and the want to always be "The Beasts of the Southeast" makes us a little impatient at times. Many of us have said it on here and have seen it at the games with the younger players..... The future is bright.

AT THE RESERVATION
NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

Logan talent????????

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Can I ask which one of these young Logan classes do you guys keep talking about ??

football2323
Waterboy

Post by football2323 »

Our ends were the only good part of our defense

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

Again our coach needs to recruit them there halls!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

All those boys and only near 50 play :? :? :?

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us

Return to “Football”