Vinton County Football Coach

3sportdad
Waterboy

Vinton County Football Coach

Post by 3sportdad »

Just wondering if anyone has any news on a new football coach for VC. I heard some rumors, but DON'T want to put out any possibly BAD info on the subject.

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: Vinton County Football Coach

Post by Dundas »

I think everyone has heard a rumor or two.

3sportdad
Waterboy

Post by 3sportdad »

I talked to Larry Arthur last night at the VC - Logan game. He assured me that within 2 weeks we will know who the new coach is. He did NOT mention any names but did say he had 20 applicants. Guess we will just have to wait and see!!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I wonder if one of those apps were from Coach Mantell....lol

Hopfully they make the right decision...the kids deserve it.

hannancoach
JV Team

Post by hannancoach »

I thought these guys just got a new coach....

A.J. styles
Waterboy

Post by A.J. styles »

why don't they go and get queen back doesn't he live in area still

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

HannanCoach wrote:I thought these guys just got a new coach....

Coach Yates had 4 seasons.

I do believe Queen still lives in the area.

goldenboy
Freshman Team

Post by goldenboy »

Who was the coach they had when they went to the playoffs in 06? bc thats who they should go and try to get!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VC went 8-2 and made the playoffs in 2004 under Coach Downs. Coach downs stepped down and took the Fed Hock job and took them to the playoffs as well. He currently doesnt coach and i dont believe he would be interested in coming back. Queen lead the Vikings to multiple TVC Championships in the 90's and also coached the last win over both Jackson and NY. Not sure if he would be interested either.

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

I think Paul Thomas from Adena would be a great fit. Loves to run the ball and gets the absolute most out of his kids. Anyone know if VC contacted him?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Not sure on who they contacted...3sportdad said he heard they had 20 applicants.

goldenboy
Freshman Team

Post by goldenboy »

i heard blackstone that used to coach for wellston put his app. in but im not sure if its true or not!

A.J. styles
Waterboy

Post by A.J. styles »

what about the guy who took them to the playoffs in 93 where is he now who is the winingest coach they have had

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

A.J. styles wrote:what about the guy who took them to the playoffs in 93 where is he now who is the winingest coach they have had

Rumor was.. he was interested in the job when they hired Yates...if he was then, maybe he will still be now...? I think that would be the popular pick...but would it be the correct pick? VC is nowhere close to the 90's teams. The last few years have been more of a spread offense. VC was a tough, run it down your throat, team in the 90's and i just dont think they have those type of kids anymore. VC may need a coach that prefers the spread and some trickeration.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Two Words......

KENNY BIXX!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Not sure they would allow beer coolers on the sidelines HC...therefore KB probably wouldnt work out.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

What VC needs to do is exactly what they did in the early 2000's. Hire a young motivated coach like Joe Bob Helmsey to do all the grunt work. He can get all the kids out, make them work hard to get better, and get the program where it is ready to take off again. Then run his arse out on a rail and let Downs take over. Downs can keep it going for a few years and reap the rewards of winning and going to the playoffs. Then after a few years, when the true effect of Downs' system is taking effect he can make up some excuse to jump ship again. Get some fall guy back in there to go 1-9 or 0-10 for 3 or 4 years. Then start the process all over again. I think Downs is young enough to run through that cycle a few more times. After that he can be the winningest coach in school history, and they can build a statue of him outside the stadium. People will probably be gullible enough to think he was a great coach who revived the program several times. :lol:

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I kind of agree and dissagree...

Not sure about the downgrading of Coach Downs...I think he was a good coach. BUT i do agree that Hemsley should have been givin a couple more years. Anyone couldve coached the 2004 class to a great season. They were FULL of talent. Its possible that had Hemsley stayed, they couldve had a win or two more that year.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Dundas wrote:Not sure they would allow beer coolers on the sidelines HC...therefore KB probably wouldnt work out.

i guess you got me on that one...... :lol:

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

Dundas wrote:I kind of agree and dissagree...

Not sure about the downgrading of Coach Downs...I think he was a good coach. BUT i do agree that Hemsley should have been givin a couple more years. Anyone couldve coached the 2004 class to a great season. They were FULL of talent. Its possible that had Hemsley stayed, they couldve had a win or two more that year.

I have never felt telling the truth, or providing facts can be defined as down grading. Maybe that is just me though. :?:

Return to “Football”