SOC II 2011

Downtown
Freshman Team

Re: SOC II 2011

Post by Downtown »

Wheelersburg is Wheelersburg. Don't expect anything less than them competing for a gold football year in and year out. If you do, you may be in for a rude awakening. Look what they did this past season when people were predicting them to be right around .500. An 8-2 regular season (after starting out 0-2) and advancing to the second round of the playoffs. Anybody who says Burg is going to be mediocre is just plain ignorant.

The D
JV Team

Post by The D »

Downtown, I couldnt agree with you more...There have rarely...if ever been any seasons where the Pirates didn't compete for the league title...a loss of talent has never slowed down the Burg, and it won't this year either..the pirates will prepare and find a way to win just like they always do...

The D
JV Team

Post by The D »

Downtown wrote:Anybody who says Burg is going to be mediocre is just plain ignorant.

:122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

The D wrote:
Downtown wrote:Anybody who says Burg is going to be mediocre is just plain ignorant.

:122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

I was one of the few that didn't buy it last year, and won't this coming year until SOC rolls around and we see what happens.

The D
JV Team

Post by The D »

well its just like it has already been said...we love the doubters :mrgreen: ...gives the team motivation and an opprotunity to fly in under the radar ;-)

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

The D wrote:now dont get mad west side pride ;-)

teamwork...dedication...preparation...hard work...Wheelersburg things
2000, 2001, 2002?

The D
JV Team

Post by The D »

fbnut wrote:
The D wrote:now dont get mad west side pride ;-)

teamwork...dedication...preparation...hard work...Wheelersburg things
2000, 2001, 2002?
well if we are saying random years of the past, how about 1989?

I am just saying Burg bases its program off of teamwork and preparation, which is why they have had so much success in the past, and will contiue to have success in the future.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

teamwork, dedication, preparation and all those ingredients will take you so far but you still need playmakers. At least 10 to 11 of the 12 games, maybe all 12 the burg played last yr they had the best player on the feild. He took over games and if he wasn't making plays he was drawing so much attention it allowed other guys to make plays. That won't be the case next yr. He had the most dominant game against valley I think I have ever seen a burg kid have. I know the line blocked and he had help but no one else on that team running behind the same line could have done that. I'm not sure you could find 2-3 burg backs the last 20 yrs that could have done it. The D was totally different when he was moved to backer because he could make plays in the backfeild and could run people down sideline to sideline. Its very early but just looking at what they should have returning I don't see any playmakers, I'm not sure you will be able to find 1-2 players on the 2011 team that would even play very much on some of the better burg teams of the past. I wouldn't consider the 2010 team a very fast team as far as overall team speed but I don't see any speed next yr.

The D
JV Team

Post by The D »

Yes, they did have the best player on the field, I'm not disputing that at all...you are absolutely right as far as that goes, hands down best player in all of the SOC...but none of that could have even remotely been accomplished without significant help or preparation from his team...i mean look at the beating they gave to the team with the defensive player of the year this past season...it takes a whole lot more than brute talent to beat a team with such a player so resoundingly...

the fact of the matter is that teamwork and preparation takes a team farther than only atheleticism...if it were solely atheleticism, then the Burg team from two years ago, who had the best player on the field, should have dominated every team in the area, and through the playoffs...there hadn't been a team that talented in who knows how long...but they didn't because they didn't have the tight knit unity like the year's team did... facts show it...its not the talent its the TEAM

as far as speed, there have been plenty of Burg teams lacking in the area who still did just fine? the coaching staff will work with the boys and work out a gameplan suited to the team and what they have the best shot with...as long as the boys get in the weightroom and start developing and "gel"ing together, Burg will be just fine fighting for another golden trophy next year.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Burg always seems to be able to reload. Not saying they never have bad years but their down years still seem to be 5-5 6-4 and still in the playoff race.
I don’t know if what they have coming back this year, and Schank will be incredibly difficult to replace. He is a huge talent, I don’t know if they can replace. Without Schank I believe Burg would have lost to Portsmouth last season. He and Myers traded blows back and forth, but he took the game over when he needed to and lead his team down the field to take the lead with 14 seconds left. I don’t know if Burg has anyone else on the team that could do that.
Stegman will also be a hard one to replace, I still remember the catch he made in the end zone against Ironton his sophomore year to upset the Tigers.
Even with these loses though I don’t want to count Burg out. They always seem to have guys set up each year to field a successful team.
I think West is going to be searching to replace Pendleton as well, although they do have some other good players without Pendleton on both sides of the ball West is not the same team either.
Valley in my opinion has the most returning, Yates is the real deal and can take the Indians places this year, however as stated before Valley needs to get over them mental hump with some of these teams. If they can get over the mental aspect I believe this is the year they could make a run at the SOC 2 title.
Minford will have some holes to fill as well, but they have been able to do so the last few years pretty successfully. I don’t know who all they have that’s coming back or that can step into a starring role, maybe a Minford fan can help us out with that.

The D
JV Team

Post by The D »

Exactly. Burg can has and will reload and fight in every game they play in...which is why I think they will still be contenders in the 2011 SOC II battle...So many teams are losing so much talent, that they will be in the same boat as Burg. and yes, Valley will be tough bringing back a lot of talent, but I really don't think they have the mentality to beat the Burg, nor will the players or coaches accept being part of the third team to ever lose to the indians.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

the soc is going to be another exciting year in 2011 it is going to be a 4 horse race I do think from what I have seen the next 2 years will be the other 3 best chance to dethrone the pirates for the crown. The Burg is the Burg they will be there,Minford coach Daniels and his staff has done outstanding job with that program they will contend, Valley with there spread and what they have coming back this could be their year for a title, and for West they did have some key losses but I think alot of people are going to be suprised I think they will be better next year they are loaded.

The D
JV Team

Post by The D »

It should be very close...I am pulling for my pirates, but if anyone else, i would have to give it to Valley...they have the most comming back...West just won't be able to do it after their losses, Minford will be tough but I'll put them comming in third ahead of west...then Waverly and NW pullin up the rear again...should be a thrilling year...cant wait!!! :122245

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

The D wrote:West just won't be able to do it after their losses :122245
Where is everyone getting this stuff?

West had the ball down 3 at the end of the Burg game with Pendelton in a wheelchair and Compton in the hospital. The other senior starters that we lost were Locher, Journey, Bricker, and Caudill.

Of the kids that started that game we return 4 of 5 O-linemen (some will be 3 year starters)
Both Tight ends
Quarterback (will be 3 year starter)
Auger (Best running back in the SOC this year)

I know you can't put alot of stock in JV games, but didn't West beat Minford and Wheelersburg by a total of around 150 points the year before last. Wouldn't those kids be the upperclassmen this year?
Last edited by Westfan on Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

The D wrote:It should be very close...I am pulling for my pirates, but if anyone else, i would have to give it to Valley...they have the most comming back...West just won't be able to do it after their losses, Minford will be tough but I'll put them comming in third ahead of west...then Waverly and NW pullin up the rear again...should be a thrilling year...cant wait!!! :122245
If your saying that West will not finish any better than fourth. I'll take some of that action. What would you like to wager?

Downtown
Freshman Team

Post by Downtown »

The top four teams will all be competitive this year with each other; Minford, Valley, West and Wheelersburg. I'd say it'll probably go something like this:
1. Burg
2. West
3. Minford
4. Valley
Now obviously, 2 and 3 could reverse orders. Heck any of those numbers could change because that's how good of a league the SOC2 is. Anytime that the three top teams in a league make it to the playoffs and usually advance past the first round is an amazing testament to the league in general.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Black@Orange wrote:
The D wrote:It should be very close...I am pulling for my pirates, but if anyone else, i would have to give it to Valley...they have the most comming back...West just won't be able to do it after their losses, Minford will be tough but I'll put them comming in third ahead of west...then Waverly and NW pullin up the rear again...should be a thrilling year...cant wait!!! :122245
If your saying that West will not finish any better than fourth. I'll take some of that action. What would you like to wager?
I would like to get some of that action myself with the seniors we have and a outstanding junior class it is going to be a very fun team to watch I cant wait.

The D
JV Team

Post by The D »

siderman wrote:
The D wrote:West just won't be able to do it after their losses :122245
Where is everyone getting this stuff?

West had the ball down 3 at the end of the Burg game with Pendelton in a wheelchair and Compton in the hospital. The other senior starters that we lost were Locher, Journey, Bricker, and Caudill.

Of the kids that started that game we return 4 of 5 O-linemen (some will be 3 year starters)
Both Tight ends
Quarterback (will be 3 year starter)
Auger (Best running back in the SOC this year)

I know you can't put alot of stock in JV games, but didn't West beat Minford and Wheelersburg by a total of around 150 points the year before last. Wouldn't those kids be the upperclassmen this year?

annnnnnnd???? if Burg will struggle without Schank, West won't know what to do when they have the ball :lol: :lol: ...and so what if they have 3 year starters coming back? they are on the same team that lost to who the past two years?...and youre right, JV games don't count for squat seeing as how Burg has barely had enough to field a team the past two years...

Im just saying that I think West will have 2, maybe 3 losses in the SOC this year...Valley will crush them, Burg will find a way to win like every other year, so I will gladly take a new fresh Burg team over them, and Minford will put up a heck of a fight with West...based on that, I have West in 3rd place at best...

Auger the best back in the SOC??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I sure hope the rest of the soc thinks the way The D thinks if so they in for a big surprise,with a good senior class and the best junior class in the soc that has dominated the last few years we will be just fine as freshmen didn't they beat the Burg 62-0 and only have 13 kids on the team. Waverly was the only team that had less seniors than West last season. With a good QB a very good defense and a outstand backfield and o-line I like our chances.
Last edited by BigBlueNation on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

D, this is your argument basically if I understand your posts. The burg will win the SOC in 2012 because they are the burg. That is pretty much all you got. I am a former burg player and a huge fan but man I just don't see that they have anything next yr. The burg loses 10 of 11 starters on O. If I remember right 9 of 11 on D. Their junior and senior classes next yr have very very little talent. West gave the burg all they wanted this yr and they return a lot of good ball players. I just think the burg might be in for a very long yr and maybe a long 2 yrs by burg standards.

Return to “Football”