OHSAA proposes revising way schools are placed in divisions

WHSwarrior
Varsity

OHSAA proposes revising way schools are placed in divisions

Post by WHSwarrior »

This doesn't exactly solve the issue of Public v. Private, but it's an interesting way to look at it.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/lo ... ml?sid=101

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: OHSAA proposes revising way schools are placed in divisi

Post by Orange and Brown »

At least they are trying to address the issues. It's a start and thats all that is needed to get this stuff figured out.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

So if I am reading this right and the way they are going to decide regions and divisions then Coal Grove will be in D VI next year.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i couldn't get the dang fool thing to take my comment, but it sure needs fixin.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Wonder how this will affect the local schools?

Here is another article.
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sp ... ml?sid=101

I love this comment.

Fresh off a Division IV state championship in football, Bishop Hartley coach Brad Burchfield fears that the formula ultimately will punish Catholic schools.

"I hear about this new rule being put in and all I think about is the trickle-down effect it will have on the football tournament, which is the greatest event in the country," he said. "I can't help but see this as the private schools being taken advantage of once again."

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

siderman wrote:

I love this comment.

Fresh off a Division IV state championship in football, Bishop Hartley coach Brad Burchfield fears that the formula ultimately will punish Catholic schools.

"I hear about this new rule being put in and all I think about is the trickle-down effect it will have on the football tournament, which is the greatest event in the country," he said. "I can't help but see this as the private schools being taken advantage of once again."
Cause the private schools get taken advantage of all the time! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wonder if he said that with a straight face? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That quote made my day..... :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Orange and Brown wrote:
siderman wrote:

I love this comment.

Cause the private schools get taken advantage of all the time! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wonder if he said that with a straight face? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That quote made my day..... :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

That clown's comment is disingenuous, at best. And O&B, it is comical, to be perfectly honest. As expected, when you leave solving a problem like this to a bunch of arseclown administrators, it is going to convoluted, confusing, and controversial. Yeah, the 3 C's!!!!! LOL!

It is a start, but no where near the finish. The real sticking point to me is the economic factor. Who will determine it, and how will be applied.

There are tons of questions that are going to come from this, but at least there is some recognition from the OHSAA that the status quo is not acceptable.

I've already gone on record many times about the motivating factor for the OHSAA is $$$$$$$$$, and this past Football tournament caused a good deal of damage to "their BRAND".

The disparity is turning people off big time, including me. If they don't do something, attendance and interest in these events is going to continue to dwindle, and that would be bad for everyone.

JoeRoberts
Waterboy

Post by JoeRoberts »

You want to talk about disparities...in some sports in OHSSA, there are schools with 350 boys trying to compete with schools with 1100 boys...insanity.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

This comment said alot.

The board felt compelled to act sooner than later after rumors that some public or private schools might introduce a referendum of their own or might leave the OHSAA and form their own associations

Basically, they'll loose money. If they loose money, they don't have a job.

AHM
Freshman Team

Post by AHM »

Many public schools have already gone on record with their displeasure over this referendum. Dont be surprised to see this thing fail this May and things remain the way they are.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

They are attacking this thing the wrong way. Instead of looking for ways to bump up certain schools, they should be looking at ways to not count the percentage of the population that brings the least to table athletically speaking. What I mean is the kids who get up in the morning and the only reason they go to school is because the law says they have to.

Places like Coldwater, Chagrin Falls, Delphos, and Coshocton average about 4 to 5 % of families living below the poverty level. Towns like Ironton 17%, Chesapeake 14% and Piketon 28% of families living below the poverty line.

A lot of studies have show a direct correlation between poverty and failure in the classroom and athletic field. Dont add to schools, decrease others numbers by creating a socio economic subtractor! lol

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

It would make more sense to just split the state at I-70 and have a northern Ohio and Southern Ohio championship for divisions 3-6. In Division 1 &2 could still Have a state wide champ.

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

Post by coal miner's son »

Doesn't Pennsylvania have two interscholastic associations? The PIAA and the WPIAA. Why?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

South Carolina has like 12 divisions cause they have A and B Divisions times 6

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

i know many are opposed to this, but i think that there needs to be a public, and a private state chamionship game. it's not feasible. that public schools can compete at this level anymore. especially southern schools, unless you are from dayton, or cincy. which are huge metroplolitan areas, that can draw from huge cities. the only reason there was not a clean sweep with parochial schools this year, is because none was involved at the d2 level. but at a d2 level enrollment the size of the cities involved are so substantial , they can overcome the recruiting with sheer numbers. get below that div. level. it does not hardly ever happen. ironton stood the best chance at winning a public title this year, had a parochial school been involved. having beat the eventual champ columbus bishop hartley earlier in the year. we only lost to them by 6 points in the regional game, in a mistake filled game, where we could not tackle anything. had we advanced i feel we would have won it all. but even at that, thats nearly an impossibilty anymore.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

something needs to be done, and it's a reflection in the attendance as well. the numbers don't lie. many states are doing this. the parochial schools are not under the same guidelines as the public schools that must go with what is litterally from there district. and for the record , even though i chose to use open enrollment and move my kids from rock hill to ironton , in junior high , it was not because of sports, but rock hill, was a 16 mile trip one way from my house, ironton was 8. also i have a biracial son , i adopted so i felt he would be better suited in ironton's schools. but i am opposed to open enrollment. you should play with who is in your district and thats it. and that obviously is not the case with parochial schools who can take anybody they want, from say cleveland, youngstown, or cincy. this far outweighs the possibilities of home grown kids and programs.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

just wanted to bring that up publically before i was called hypocritical about it. i did it for a complete different set of reasons. mainly financially. as they were involved in sports, and in was a 32 mile round trip to rock hill facilities and back. and exactly half that distance to ironton.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I am a fan of the socioeconomic factor adjustment, but I don’t like punishing a school with an addition to their athletic count for running a successful program. Lots of times a good class will come through a school and perform well as juniors and seniors, then that team will fall on hard times after they graduate. Then add on the fact they will have to play up a division because of regional or state success hardly seems fair to the athletes remaining in the program. It really puts them behind the 8 ball and actually puts them at a huge disadvantage.
The socioeconomic factor though I like, at least in theory, I think It would really level the playing field for several of the poor school that we have in our region. I haven’t looked at the numbers but I would assume it would drop several local school including my Portsmouth Trojans.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

I like the Idea of looking at the numbers also in individual sports also. IE. Just because you have great success in Basketball doesnt mean you have the same success in Football or Baseball. I am intrigued will schools like Wheelersburg who have high number of open enrollment students, Success in almost all sporting programs, and low number of Free Lunch students, how will this affect their placement. Also will schools now stop accepting open enrollment students? Will Schools start looking or requiring everyone to fill out free and reduced forms like the EMF's.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I like the idea. It is a start, and I hope it passes. As has been mentioned, at least enough effected people realize their is a problem. They evidently have put enough pressure on the OHSAA to make a change, whether it's this format or another.

Bengalfan, you better believe that schools will do anything within their power to lower their number.

Another factor that I believe should be included is the size of the school district for public schools. With city schools, the kids all live within a few miles of the school at most. You have schools like West and Northwest who's districts are huge. We have kids who count toward our enrollment that live on the Adams county line close to 30-35 miles from the schools. Alot of those kids have no way to play ball as most of their parents aren't going to make 60 and 70 mile round-trips to practice every day.

If this passes, I wonder how this will effect the local schools.

Burg was D5, not far from D4. Most of the factors will work against them. They'll probably be D4.

Ironton was D4. The historical stuff will hurt them but Ironton is a poorer town. They also except alot of transfers. They may be borderline D3 to D4.

West will probably move to D5 as most of the factors will help them and we were one of the smallest D4 schools anyway.

Return to “Football”