2011 Marietta Tigers

Tim Hardaway Jr.
JV Team

2011 Marietta Tigers

Post by Tim Hardaway Jr. »

The Tigers are going to suffer from another coaching change this season. It's too early to actually make predictions, but according to some close sources more kids that have played in the past are coming to all the weightlifting sessions. These kids quit for various reasons, but maybe making some key additions this could turn the next few seasons around. With the strong sophomore class they should be ok this season. Maybe this will be a season to rebound? Thoughts about a new coach? Predictions?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: 2011 Marietta Tigers

Post by EasternDspy »

They need to keep Deeter Baker at TB and let him shine.At the end of the year he was a beast gaining 181 yards vs Warren.It was a joke to have him at TE last year.

Tim Hardaway Jr.
JV Team

Post by Tim Hardaway Jr. »

I agree. Dedder is all around player, I look for him to have a big year as long as the line holds up for him.

Chieftain
Varsity

Post by Chieftain »

Tigers get their butts kicked royally in the ECOL. Lots of ugly games.

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

The tigers may be experiencing what Warren went through several years back. Hope that someone comes in that will stay and get the support from the tiger faithful, ECOL can be a miserable place to be if you are in the tigers boat right now. Good luck to you.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Marietta seem to have a good program up until the varsity-then what happens

Blue Blaze
Waterboy

Post by Blue Blaze »

People say that the Head Coaching job has not been opened up inside or outside. But I keep hearing that Marietta is offering the job to Bob Springer. Have also heard it is been understood that he will do the job for 1 year then pass it on to another assistant(Eichorn)?
Do not know much about the Springer guy except the negative responses I hear from the places he has been and some people that have coached with him. They say he comes in like a great old guy then stabs everyone involved in the back within a few years, then is forced out or leaves. Just what I have been told by some very reliable people from different schools.
I have a hard time understanding how a Division 2 high school could allow 1 person to bypass the entire hiring process of A.D., Principal, Super, Board, Alumni, Hiring Commitee? What has been let loose at Marietta, anyone have any control or is he calling every shot there now?

redandgreen10
Riding the Bench

Post by redandgreen10 »

Easy answer to your dilemmic (not a real word) question! AD and Springer are best friends. Your info on Springer is very accurate. He likes to control situations and does so with a great vengance. I have coached with him and I feel sorry for the Marietta faithful. He talks a good and inaccurate game about himself, and in the end will either bail or get tossed. Not a good fit for the Tigers! IMO

thebearupthere34
Freshman Team

Post by thebearupthere34 »

bob springer was named head coach according to wtap.

SkinIt1999
Waterboy

Post by SkinIt1999 »

wow! have fun with that marietta. feel sorry for the boys. he has such a great resume, no wonder they didn't need to open it up.
i wonder if marietta will ever check references on people before they hire them?

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

redandgreen10 wrote:He likes to control situations and does so with a great vengance. I have coached with him and I feel sorry for the Marietta faithful.
Can you give some examples of where this need to "control situations" crossed the line? Or can you elaborate on why you had a negative experience - with specific examples, not just a general statement?
pioshoopster wrote:wow! have fun with that marietta. feel sorry for the boys. he has such a great resume, no wonder they didn't need to open it up.
i wonder if marietta will ever check references on people before they hire them?
Same question - did you have a negative personal experience that would offer some real insight on why it isn't a good hire?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I was curious as to what the Marietta schedule looked like in its first season in the ECOL and looked it up:

8/26 MORGAN 7:30
9/2 WARREN 7:30
9/9 at PARKERSBURG 7:30
9/16 at GALLIA 7:30
9/23 RIVER VIEW 7:30
9/30 at Cambridge 7:30
10/7 at NEW PHILLY 7:30
10/15 at ROSECRANS 7:30
10/21 DOVER 7:30
10/28 ZANESVILLE 7:30

redandgreen10
Riding the Bench

Post by redandgreen10 »

sure enigmaxx
as an assistant coach he tries to control all positions and disregards very capable assistant coaches coaching their position. he also ignores the head coaches authority and pretends it doesn't exist. he must control ALL situations and if you don't agree with him your basically an idiot. i also beleive administrators that hire people should thoroughly check candidates backgrounds, references, and resume information THOROUGHLY!!!

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

Could someone explain to me why Marietta, a D2 school, would play Rosecrans, a D6 school? Not much to gain from that is there?

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

It is part of the ECOL schedule. Not a choice.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I drain 3's wrote:Could someone explain to me why Marietta, a D2 school, would play Rosecrans, a D6 school? Not much to gain from that is there?

Rosecrans joined the ECOL as part of their expansion that included Marietta and Zanesville. While they are in different divisions, I believe each team has to play two teams from the other division. At least there was talk of that at the time of expansion, to create a 6 game league schedule [the other 4 teams in your division and 2 teams from the other division].

The Scarlet Division (big schools) will consist of Cambridge, Dover, Marietta, New Philadelphia and Zanesville.
The Gray Division (small schools) will consist of Claymont, Coshocton, Meadowbrook, River View, and Rosecrans.

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

Ohhh gotcha. Didn't realize Rosecrans was in the ECOL.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

redandgreen10 wrote:sure enigmaxx
as an assistant coach he tries to control all positions and disregards very capable assistant coaches coaching their position. he also ignores the head coaches authority and pretends it doesn't exist. he must control ALL situations and if you don't agree with him your basically an idiot. i also beleive administrators that hire people should thoroughly check candidates backgrounds, references, and resume information THOROUGHLY!!!
I don't know the guy and don't have any idea if you are right or wrong - I'm not trying to dispute anything you say, but I am curious to know if your opinion is valid or just a personal difference you have with the guy.

Did those previous head coaches get rid of him? What is it that you think they would've found by checking his background, references, and resume information? I mean, I don't know how well they checked that stuff, but I'm not sure what you think would be different. Do you think he lied about something on his resume? It seems like his background would be pretty solid - weren't the programs where he worked pretty successful and didn't he donate his coaching salary or something? As for references, it isn't like he's going to list bad references - who lists their enemies on a resume?

Aside from your opinion of him as an assistant toward the head coach or other assistants (which might not even really be relevant anyway, since he isn't being hired as an assistant at this moment), how would you describe the feeling the players have/had for him?

redandgreen10
Riding the Bench

Post by redandgreen10 »

enigmaxx
kids glad he left, and one coach and ad forced him to resign. also had an ad ask me about his past jobs in texas. i didn't know the answers but the ad wasn't happy with what he found.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Will he retain the current asst coaches, will Vasko remain?

Return to “Football”